Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Peel Arm Cottage (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/peel-arm-cottage-34780.html)

Jim Procter 12-11-2007 13:59

Peel Arm Cottage

Hi Accrington Was born in Church and used to live in Clayton but now live in Hull Yorkshire. I am 76 and I cant travel but I would love a Piccy of the place I was born.Peel Arm Cottage Dill Hall Lane. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help Jim Procter Accrington Grammar School Old Boy

MargaretR 12-11-2007 14:31

Re: Peel Arm Cottage

I lived at 249 Dill Hall from 1961- 1966, and at no 60 from 1984-1991, so I have lived 'at both ends'. I do not know of any property then, or still existing, which might be described as a cottage, since that term indicates (to me) pre 1900.

We do have local history enthusiasts as members- who may know, and some who have archives of photos from the past. So - fingers crossed for you :)

cashman 12-11-2007 14:32

whereabouts on Dill Hall would that be Jim? reason i ask is the bit that took in church hall, near Express gifts(Joseph Arnolds) was altered a bit when the dual carridgeway was built.

MargaretR 12-11-2007 14:36

Yes Cashy - that property next to the petrol station might be it - it does look old enough
Streetmap.co.uk- search results

Doug 12-11-2007 16:12

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Location.....If nobody can do it sooner I'm hoping to be over on Weds....

WillowTheWhisp 12-11-2007 17:40

Superb map Doug. You'll probably beat me to it as I'll be in Chorley tomorrow.

Doug 12-11-2007 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 492724)
Superb map Doug. You'll probably beat me to it as I'll be in Chorley tomorrow.

It's a Mario, which reminds me they do a arial shots as well.....

cashman 12-11-2007 19:06

nice one doug, suspected it was that area.;)

Jim Procter 13-11-2007 14:34

When I was a little lad there were some horse stables belonging to the Council I think. They later became a Garage and Filling Station. Well Peel Arm Cottage was just behind on the lane up to the canal.Opposite was Steiners Works. My grandad was a foreman there.I hope this description helps to pin-point where it is.I understand that a road was built which came from Accrington via Hyndburn Road and Countess Street and across to Rishton. I hope that they didnt demolish the house to build the road Thank you to all who took the interest to reply.

MargaretR 13-11-2007 15:37

The house is still there - see the 2 maps we have provided - Doug said he will be over this way on Saturday and will take a photo for you

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2007 16:25

The new road goes from the Dunkenhalgh to Hyndburn Road and cuts through Dill Hall Lane just past where the stables used to be which is now a petrol station.

Bonnyboy 14-11-2007 09:08

4 Attachment(s)
Going of the maps the others have provided, I'm fairly confident that this is the cottage :)

Doug 14-11-2007 09:44

Nice one Bonnyboy.............

Jim Procter 14-11-2007 13:49

Thank you Bonneyboy. What wonderful pictures. It is just as I remember except for the Conifers and the modern windows and the garage.My father and mother and my brother and I lived in the extention at the back and my Grandma and her family had the original cottage at the front.Perhaps someone remembers the Westells and Ainsworths who lived there? I would be delighted to hear from anyone who knew them.Harper Westell died in 1937 and a kind person in Accrington sent me a copy of his Obituary from the Observer. His Grandson Clifford died recently and was I think Mayor of Accrington at one time. Does anyone remember the Clogger who had a shop down the hill near the corner of Hyndburn Road. The wonderful smell of leather which permeated the shop while you waited for new irons to be fitted to your clogs.And the sparks your new clogs made on the pavement as you ran to school.And Mister Chadwick the ice-cream man who came round on a three-wheel cycle from his shop on Countess Street.And the swings and slide in Gatty Park. I used to stand and watch the men turning the great big lathes from the doorway at Steiners opposite.And going to school at Church Kirk with Mr Greenwood the headmaster and Mrs Golding my favouite teacher.And going to Church on a Sunday at Church Kirk and singing in the choir with Rev Stephens --Mister Stiffkey was his nickname--Oh I could go on all day.
Thank you all the people of Accrington for giving me such a wonderful day.Best Wishes to you all Jim Procter

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2007 13:51

Did Clifford live up Manchester Road?