Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 13:59   #1

Peel Arm Cottage

Hi Accrington Was born in Church and used to live in Clayton but now live in Hull Yorkshire. I am 76 and I cant travel but I would love a Piccy of the place I was born.Peel Arm Cottage Dill Hall Lane. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help Jim Procter Accrington Grammar School Old Boy
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2007, 14:31   #2
God Member

Re: Peel Arm Cottage

I lived at 249 Dill Hall from 1961- 1966, and at no 60 from 1984-1991, so I have lived 'at both ends'. I do not know of any property then, or still existing, which might be described as a cottage, since that term indicates (to me) pre 1900.

We do have local history enthusiasts as members- who may know, and some who have archives of photos from the past. So - fingers crossed for you

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 14:32   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whereabouts on Dill Hall would that be Jim? reason i ask is the bit that took in church hall, near Express gifts(Joseph Arnolds) was altered a bit when the dual carridgeway was built.
Old 12-11-2007, 14:36   #4
God Member

Yes Cashy - that property next to the petrol station might be it - it does look old enough
Streetmap.co.uk- search results

Old 12-11-2007, 16:12   #5
Member.

This is the Location.....If nobody can do it sooner I'm hoping to be over on Weds....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marioexternal_MAPSRV4359228361466.jpg (161.0 KB, 75 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 17:40   #6
Resident Waffler

Superb map Doug. You'll probably beat me to it as I'll be in Chorley tomorrow.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 18:17   #7
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Superb map Doug. You'll probably beat me to it as I'll be in Chorley tomorrow.

It's a Mario, which reminds me they do a arial shots as well.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-11-2007, 19:06   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nice one doug, suspected it was that area.
Old 13-11-2007, 14:34   #9

When I was a little lad there were some horse stables belonging to the Council I think. They later became a Garage and Filling Station. Well Peel Arm Cottage was just behind on the lane up to the canal.Opposite was Steiners Works. My grandad was a foreman there.I hope this description helps to pin-point where it is.I understand that a road was built which came from Accrington via Hyndburn Road and Countess Street and across to Rishton. I hope that they didnt demolish the house to build the road Thank you to all who took the interest to reply.
Old 13-11-2007, 15:37   #10
God Member

The house is still there - see the 2 maps we have provided - Doug said he will be over this way on Saturday and will take a photo for you

Old 13-11-2007, 16:25   #11
Resident Waffler

The new road goes from the Dunkenhalgh to Hyndburn Road and cuts through Dill Hall Lane just past where the stables used to be which is now a petrol station.

Old 14-11-2007, 09:08   #12

Going of the maps the others have provided, I'm fairly confident that this is the cottage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cott14Nov.1.JPG (381.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Cott14Nov.2.JPG (394.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Cott14Nov.3.JPG (385.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Cott14Nov.4.JPG (399.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 14-11-2007, 09:44   #13
Member.

Nice one Bonnyboy.............

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 14-11-2007, 13:49   #14

Thank you Bonneyboy. What wonderful pictures. It is just as I remember except for the Conifers and the modern windows and the garage.My father and mother and my brother and I lived in the extention at the back and my Grandma and her family had the original cottage at the front.Perhaps someone remembers the Westells and Ainsworths who lived there? I would be delighted to hear from anyone who knew them.Harper Westell died in 1937 and a kind person in Accrington sent me a copy of his Obituary from the Observer. His Grandson Clifford died recently and was I think Mayor of Accrington at one time. Does anyone remember the Clogger who had a shop down the hill near the corner of Hyndburn Road. The wonderful smell of leather which permeated the shop while you waited for new irons to be fitted to your clogs.And the sparks your new clogs made on the pavement as you ran to school.And Mister Chadwick the ice-cream man who came round on a three-wheel cycle from his shop on Countess Street.And the swings and slide in Gatty Park. I used to stand and watch the men turning the great big lathes from the doorway at Steiners opposite.And going to school at Church Kirk with Mr Greenwood the headmaster and Mrs Golding my favouite teacher.And going to Church on a Sunday at Church Kirk and singing in the choir with Rev Stephens --Mister Stiffkey was his nickname--Oh I could go on all day.
Thank you all the people of Accrington for giving me such a wonderful day.Best Wishes to you all Jim Procter
Old 14-11-2007, 13:51   #15
Resident Waffler

Did Clifford live up Manchester Road?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..