Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2009, 05:53   #31

Re: Peel Arm Cottage

Hi Jim ,Did you know Harper and Mary Westell? I do not live in the UK, My mother and father are from Accorington. They emigrated to Australia in the late 50s. I was born in Australia I am now 45.
andy westell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2009, 13:47   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I worked alongside Jack Broderick when I started work at Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance in 1959. He was a meticulously smartly dressed batchelor who caused a sensation when he announced he was getting married in his 'middle age'.
A perfect gent if ever there was one
Your right Margaret a perfect Gent, we worked on a few historical projects together, sadly he died few months back. His sight deteriated in the last two years of his life, we met up quite a few times in the library, he was still researching, I used to read some of the documents for him, or make them bigger on the photocopier so he could read them himself. Jacks wife still lives in Rishton.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 15:25   #33
I am Banned

were do u mean by rileys hill?always called the hill between bullough pk n highfield house rileys hill myself,is that were u mean cos the only cottages i can think of r rose place in the park?thanks
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 16:36   #34

Do you remember Alan Hindle, Derek Omara,Jannie Lane,Edna Kenyon.
The Barth was called Birtwistle,and the Holden was Jimmy.
Barth Bertwistle lived on York St, Jimmy Holden's parents had a grocers shop.
Alan Hindle was a butcher later to become a director of Slingers.I think his son
has a meat stall in the market hall.
Aviemore likes this.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 16:49   #35

The petrol station you mentioned was owned by Eddie Whitaker who lived in one of
the big houses on the bridge across from the bridge pub.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 18:14   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
were do u mean by rileys hill?always called the hill between bullough pk n highfield house rileys hill myself,is that were u mean cos the only cottages i can think of r rose place in the park?thanks
If you go to the smoothing iron, at the junction of Bath St & Marsden St, you will see the cottages up Rileys Hill.
Rose Place is off Willows lane.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..