Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 14:02   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Peel Arm Cottage

Clifford was married to Dorothy Westell, they have two daughters, Judith is one of them and the name of the other one escapes me (senior moment).

One of the girls is married to Ted Robbins(judith -I think)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 16:38   #17
Resident Waffler

The other one wasn't called Anne was she? Yes, I definitely remember the name Dorothy Westell. My mother used to irritate me by calling her Dorothy WestWell. The number of times I told her there wasn't a 'W 'in the middle!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:10   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think it was Dorothy who was the mayoress? she had the Arcade cafe, my late missus worked for her for years. in the 80s when cliff was the mayor i think.
Old 14-11-2007, 19:55   #19
Beacon of light

No the other daughter is called Alison and she lives in Cornwall somewhere.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:59   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Clifford was married to Dorothy Westell, they have two daughters, Judith is one of them and the name of the other one escapes me (senior moment).

One of the girls is married to Ted Robbins(judith -I think)
Dorothy lives just a few doors from me (now one of those councillors on the Lancs CC, or whatever). Knew Clifford and Judith (was a dancer in our Amateur shows .. beautiful girl). Yes, is Judith that is married to Ted Robbins. If you wish me to collect any information from them, sure they will be happy to oblige.

Sorry can't help you with your other memories Jim .. Church was not my area.. hey, so glad that Bonnyboy obtained those pictures for you .. must have been very nostalgic .. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 20:47   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just an afterthought jim, when Cliff was the mayor, they lived up Riley Hill if i'm not mistaken.
Old 14-11-2007, 20:49   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just an afterthought jim, when Cliff was the mayor, they lived up Riley Hill if i'm not mistaken.
Dorothy's other daughter is called Alison by the way.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 21:34   #23
Resident Waffler

I was close - I knew it began with an 'a'.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 22:59   #24
Senior Member+

I've really enjoyed this thread, Jim, and I'm so glad that Bonnyboy took the time to take the pictures for you.

My Nana was born in Steiner View and it made me wonder if you knew my mother, Millicent Hamer, as she would have been of a similar age to you had she lived.

Just a thought x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 00:33   #25

Glad it was the right house Jim, the pics aren't all that brill but it was early hope you enjoyed them
Old 15-11-2007, 00:51   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Thank you Bonneyboy. What wonderful pictures. It is just as I remember except for the Conifers and the modern windows and the garage.My father and mother and my brother and I lived in the extention at the back and my Grandma and her family had the original cottage at the front.Perhaps someone remembers the Westells and Ainsworths who lived there? I would be delighted to hear from anyone who knew them.Harper Westell died in 1937 and a kind person in Accrington sent me a copy of his Obituary from the Observer. His Grandson Clifford died recently and was I think Mayor of Accrington at one time. Does anyone remember the Clogger who had a shop down the hill near the corner of Hyndburn Road. The wonderful smell of leather which permeated the shop while you waited for new irons to be fitted to your clogs.And the sparks your new clogs made on the pavement as you ran to school.And Mister Chadwick the ice-cream man who came round on a three-wheel cycle from his shop on Countess Street.And the swings and slide in Gatty Park. I used to stand and watch the men turning the great big lathes from the doorway at Steiners opposite.And going to school at Church Kirk with Mr Greenwood the headmaster and Mrs Golding my favouite teacher.And going to Church on a Sunday at Church Kirk and singing in the choir with Rev Stephens --Mister Stiffkey was his nickname--Oh I could go on all day.
Thank you all the people of Accrington for giving me such a wonderful day.Best Wishes to you all Jim Procter

WOW What a wonderful look back on your life . ( brought tears to my eyes ) JIM how wonderful that bonnyboy could bring you those pics and what a discription of your days gone by .. Im so glad you came on this site and found what you were looking for . truly amazing and truly deserved .. keep your memories close to your heart
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 14:46   #27

Hi Everyone,

jim 321.jpg

This photo of children was taken in the garden of Peel Arm Cottage in 1936. Clifford Westell is back centre. My cousin Joan who still lives in Great Harwood is back right. I am in front centre and my brother Bryan is front left.He died in 1983. Who are the other 2 Children?

jim 320.jpg

This photo is of the wedding of my Grandma Sarah Alice Iddon nee Ainsworth and Harper Westell the Grandfather of Clifford To the right are my parents James Procter and Margaret Ainsworth . To the left is my paternal Grandfather James Procter of Rishton.

Yes Junetta I do very vaguely remember Millicent Hamer. I think she was in my class at Church Kirk.There was also in my class Billy Gamson Joan Hitchen and 2 lads called Boothman and Wadsworth who lived at the top of Dill Hall Lane, Another lad called Holden whose parents had a shop opposite the school and someone called Barth who lived on the street at the bottom of the school.
As anyone got a piccy of Church Kirk School. I know it is long since demolished but someone may have a copy.

Thanks Jim.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:48   #28

Hi My Grandad Harper Westell Lived On Riley Hill Two Doors Down From Cliff And I Think He Passed Away In 1981/82.my Grandmothers Name Is Mary Westell.

Andy Westell
andy westell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 18:14   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Your right Cashy, they did live in one of those cottages up Rileys Hill.

As for the spelling of their name Westell, Westwell & Westall,
they all stir there tea up with the same spoon, just like Whittaker & Whitaker, Cornwell & Cornwall, etc, cloth eared parish clerks caused the problem with name spelling, back in the1700's very few of the parishoners could read or write, so they would'nt know what the god botherer had written.
Jack Broderick, in his work on the parish registers, traced a lot of the names back to their original spellings.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 18:27   #30
God Member

I worked alongside Jack Broderick when I started work at Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance in 1959. He was a meticulously smartly dressed batchelor who caused a sensation when he announced he was getting married in his 'middle age'.
A perfect gent if ever there was one

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..