Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Let's Get That Goblin Clock Back, Everyone!!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/lets-get-that-goblin-clock-back-everyone-40956.html)

Puffing Billy 09-04-2009 12:13

Re: Let's Get That Goblin Clock Back, Everyone!!!

I also say bring back the clock.
Where to put it if it’s not in the Arndale - In the new market square in a class dome or in the revamped market hall. Any more suggestions?

MargaretR 09-04-2009 12:40

I don't visit town often and never saw it open. It looks like I missed something.
If it was removed before the council signed away the Arndale lease, then it will still be council property. So when was it removed?

cashman 09-04-2009 14:00

i too would love to see the clock restored, needs to be under cover though kate, with the crap british weather.:)

Atarah 17-06-2009 15:42

I was always told that the clock, once taken down, was just in the "cellars" of the Arndale. Now the cafe has been gone for ages, and there are just bits of stalls on its site, why cant the clock go back in the position which was created for it, i.e. the dome? Who could find out if its still "under our feet".
Atarah

Gayle 17-06-2009 15:51

I don't know where the clock is right now but I do know that a chap called Bill Huntly could probably find out for you - he's the Town Centre Manager - his email address is [email protected]

Nickelson 19-07-2009 17:34

Bump..

Did anyone e-mail him.. ?

katex 20-07-2009 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickelson (Post 729546)
Bump..

Did anyone e-mail him.. ?

Think we probably all thought someone else would do it Nickelson ... have just done it. :D Will let you know, of course, if I get a response.

katex 21-07-2009 10:21

Got a very quick reply from Bill Huntly who confirmed it is owned by the Arndale, and to ring the Manager there, Zain Kiyani (is that a male or female ?), to find where it is now. Will try later.

Suspect, as mentioned before, will still be stored there. Think the issue was the cost of repair ?

cmonstanley 21-07-2009 18:14

is that the guy who used to be head of secuity there,i think it is..

lindsay ormerod 21-07-2009 19:27

Yep that's Zain, and male!

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 17-02-2012 20:04

Yes please bring it back I loved it

maxthecollie 18-02-2012 11:00

Bring back the clock!

cmonstanley 29-04-2012 21:50

with the arndale been bought by new owners i wonder if people got a petition sent to the new owners you never know:)

Atarah 29-04-2012 22:03

Yep, I am with you!
Just to remind people - The "Father Time" clock was designed by Andy Plant, after he won BB2's "Great Egg Race" in 1986. The sculpture centres around a globe made from a welded steel frame covered with a beaten aluminium skin, the land masses standing out in relief. On the top of the world sits a sleeping Father Time on a bicycle. Approaching the quarter hour, a little schoolboy slowly creeps out from the top of the world, aiming to swipe Father Time's alarm clock. But the old man stirs and the schoolboy retreats. Then, on the hour, Father Time wakes to his ringing alarm, and sets off on his bike. As he begins, he rises up into the Arndale Centre's feature dome on a cloud followed by two flying cherubs. At the same time, the world begins to spin and opens to reveal a fun band playing "Rock Around the Clock" on drums, accordion, maraccas and tambourine. The performance over, the world closed and Father Time returned to the top of the globe and his slumbers.

Unless things have changed, the last contact with Mr Plant was positive and he was "up" for repair of his master-piece. Remember it was a one-off, specially made to fit under that glass dome in the Arndale.

sm_counsell 03-05-2012 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 988190)
Yep, I am with you!
Just to remind people - The "Father Time" clock was designed by Andy Plant, after he won BB2's "Great Egg Race" in 1986. The sculpture centres around a globe made from a welded steel frame covered with a beaten aluminium skin, the land masses standing out in relief. On the top of the world sits a sleeping Father Time on a bicycle. Approaching the quarter hour, a little schoolboy slowly creeps out from the top of the world, aiming to swipe Father Time's alarm clock. But the old man stirs and the schoolboy retreats. Then, on the hour, Father Time wakes to his ringing alarm, and sets off on his bike. As he begins, he rises up into the Arndale Centre's feature dome on a cloud followed by two flying cherubs. At the same time, the world begins to spin and opens to reveal a fun band playing "Rock Around the Clock" on drums, accordion, maraccas and tambourine. The performance over, the world closed and Father Time returned to the top of the globe and his slumbers.

Unless things have changed, the last contact with Mr Plant was positive and he was "up" for repair of his master-piece. Remember it was a one-off, specially made to fit under that glass dome in the Arndale.

My kids (now grown up) haven't been over to England for years, but they have never forgotten that clock and we had to go to ACCY almost every day just to see it work. It would be wonderful to see it again. I remember that there was once a post on here showing a video of the clock in movement