Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   The area I grew up in. Woodnook (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/the-area-i-grew-up-in-woodnook-45952.html)

cashman 02-03-2009 23:15

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

there used to be tramlines veered off down there from the "Tramway Inn" i remember sitting outside the tramway one sunny afternoon, when they were re-placing the tar-mac n you could see line track imprints underneath.:confused: unless it was just a siding or run off?:confused:

Retlaw 02-03-2009 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 687963)
Im loving this thread with the then and now pics .. what great photoes of grange lane.
anyone got any of the cottages on manchester road. My grandad used to live in one of them

Do you mean Daisy Hill, if so which side of Manchester Rd, there were cottages on both sides from Bell Shop Lane to Oak Hill Park gates.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 02-03-2009 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 687965)
there used to be tramlines veered off down there from the "Tramway Inn" i remember sitting outside the tramway one sunny afternoon, when they were re-placing the tar-mac n you could see line track imprints underneath.:confused: unless it was just a siding or run off?:confused:

Never. I have photo's of Manchester Rd showing that area, and they never ran down Grange lane, theres nowt on the photo of Grange Lane, it was raised as much as 12 ft to bring Grange Lane up to Manchester Rd level, thats why the bottom floor of those houses got buried.

Tha must have had a fair amount of stagger juice if tha saw tram lines in Grange Lane. What would be the point of a siding down there anyway.

Retlaw.

cherokee 02-03-2009 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687966)
Do you mean Daisy Hill, if so which side of Manchester Rd, there were cottages on both sides from Bell Shop Lane to Oak Hill Park gates.

Retlaw.

Ummm not sure if they had a name or if so what it was . I was only young. but do remember them being the ones on the right going up , Past the fire stationa nd the little pub on the corner.

cashman 02-03-2009 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687968)
Never. I have photo's of Manchester Rd showing that area, and they never ran down Grange lane, theres nowt on the photo of Grange Lane, it was raised as much as 12 ft to bring Grange Lane up to Manchester Rd level, thats why the bottom floor of those houses got buried.

Tha must have had a fair amount of stagger juice if tha saw tram lines in Grange Lane. What would be the point of a siding down there anyway.

Retlaw.

i definately saw em from outside the tramway retlaw, was sure they went down yon, but i don't doubt yer word, musta been Manchester Rd then, in my defence Pint Crystals were a lovely bottle.:D

wadey 03-03-2009 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687910)
Yes in Bugle Yard, there use to be a joiners workshop there before they built the garage.

Retlaw

Thanks for that

Retlaw 03-03-2009 15:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 687970)
Ummm not sure if they had a name or if so what it was . I was only young. but do remember them being the ones on the right going up , Past the fire stationa nd the little pub on the corner.

This is the only picture I have around that area. Its at the bottom of Hollins Lane, the first cottage of Daisy Hill is on the left, its since been demolished.

Retlaw.

Atarah 03-03-2009 18:38

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I think I know which you mean. The ones on the right hand side going up, after the Park Pub and after you have crossed the bottom of Hollins Lane. Used to be known as Daisy Hill
Here is a recent photo, just showing the last two of the row (owned by one owner now) looking down towards the top of Grange Lane area
Atarah

Retlaw 03-03-2009 22:41

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 688119)
Thanks for that

Found a picture showing the joiners shop, its in the background, in Bugle yard, it was taken in 1933, when they laid the foundation stone for the Fire Station in Manchester Rd.

Retlaw

Retlaw 03-03-2009 22:48

1 Attachment(s)
This picture is for Atarah.

Retlaw.

Mancie 03-03-2009 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 688470)
This picture is for Atarah.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-st.-1964..jpg
Retlaw.

The photo looks older than 1964 retlaw.. I moved to Hudson St at the top of South St in 1968 and Nuttal Street didn't look like that.

cashman 03-03-2009 23:03

what was the "Church" across from the police station?, think Central Motors took the land when demolished.

cherokee 04-03-2009 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 688322)
Hi, I think I know which you mean. The ones on the right hand side going up, after the Park Pub and after you have crossed the bottom of Hollins Lane. Used to be known as Daisy Hill
Here is a recent photo, just showing the last two of the row (owned by one owner now) looking down towards the top of Grange Lane area
Atarah

Yes I think they are the ones.
My grand dad lived in one further up . I think it was the 2nd from the top. They all looked so small from the outside too with little windows and all had green front doors.
I remember they were small and cosy inside too. and they shared a communial back yard.

cashman 04-03-2009 00:15

was it one of that row where Iassac lived?

cherokee 04-03-2009 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 688519)
was it one of that row where Iassac lived?

Dont know cashy, I was only little , and my brain was only small too so wouldnt have remembered much .
HEHEHE not much changed really i know i know :p thats before ya say owt