Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2010, 14:09   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Accrington and Church Co-Operative Society

And finally

Co-op Milinary.JPG Co-op Nuttall.JPG Co-op Oak.JPG Co-op Primrose.JPG Co-op Richmond.JPG Co-op Tremellen.JPG Co-op Water.JPG Co-op York Street, Church.JPG
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2010, 19:19   #17

Jeff I assume the Baxenden Co Op is now the Pharmacy and can I pinch a copy for a then and now?
Thanks
Manchester Road, Baxenden - Accrington Gallery
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 09:15   #18
Resting In Peace

You can pinch as many copies as you like. I got the pictures from the Accrington & Church history book.
Old 18-05-2010, 09:45   #19

Thanks, I've put them here
Co-op Baxenden (Then and Now) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 18-05-2010, 09:51   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Your right, it was Oak St, my excuse is so much has been destroyed and rebuilt, I some times get .
led astray.
Same with Nuttall St, from Wellington St to South St, I now can't say exactly where Dicky Scents was.
or the french polishers.
Retlaw
If I remember rightly Walter the French Polisher on Nuttall street was called Jack Barrett, and I'm nearly sure he had an old coop shop
Old 18-05-2010, 09:55   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Jeff I assume the Baxenden Co Op is now the Pharmacy and can I pinch a copy for a then and now?
Thanks
Manchester Road, Baxenden - Accrington Gallery
When I was in my teens my mate Gordon Addison (lefty) was manager of coop grocers in Bash, it became a motor Jack place of some sort, was on the corner near the Church, if I remember rightly
Old 18-05-2010, 11:26   #22
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Just looked at some of your photos. the one of KSA Design & Marketing is the building of the Co-op on Manor Street.
KSA Design & Marketing, 132 Manor Street, Accrington, Lancashire BB5 6EA on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Co-op Manor.JPG

Last edited by JEFF; 18-05-2010 at 11:31.
Old 18-05-2010, 11:52   #23
Resting In Peace

Also found this one of yours
Accrington & Church Industrial Co-Operative Society Limited 1886 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
which is this building
Co-op Huncoat.JPG
Old 18-05-2010, 12:03   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If I remember rightly Walter the French Polisher on Nuttall street was called Jack Barrett, and I'm nearly sure he had an old coop shop
Well I'll gutu foot of our stairs.
Coop in Nuttall St wur ontut corner wi Edmund St.
Thony wun A con think on.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 12:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Just looked at some of your photos. the one of KSA Design & Marketing is the building of the Co-op on Manor Street.
KSA Design & Marketing, 132 Manor Street, Accrington, Lancashire BB5 6EA on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Attachment 16224
Thanks Jeff we wondered about it when we took the photo, have added a Tag
Old 01-06-2010, 21:24   #26

What lovely pictures. My mum said, after her brother died, her mum didn't go out of the house for a while and mum had to go to the co-op every Friday night for the shopping. I think it would be the one in Dill Hall lane, as they lived in Prospect Terrace. My grandfather, William Broadley, was on the local board at one time. Much earlier, there was a James Clough involved with the start up of the local movement, but it doesn't say any more about him that I can find. There's a James Clough in my family 1800-1877, but I suppose it was a common name. Marie Ball
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 13:03   #27
Give, give, give member

Briggs Yard, Abbey Street.

The place where Accrington & Church Co-operative Society was founded, and the early meeting place of the Accrington Weaving Union.

http://www.northcravenheritage.org.u...2002p10_18.htm

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 18:50   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post

I am pretty sure he was on Nuttall Street, inbetween the Star Inn and the bottom part of South Street. In fact I feel he was next to a "ginnel" - there was an old grocers shop on the corner (the side of this shop faced the side of the Britannia Inn on Nuttall Street) if I remember correctly the grocers belonged to a Mr Cooper, then another shop, then the ginnel and then t'was Mr Barretts shop.

(oh drat, this is the only photo I can find and the shop we are talking about would have been on the L.H. side of this photo, probably just about where you can see part of a car!)

(Retlaw, if the photo is one of yours - nice one! Its a good un!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuttall st 1968.jpg (137.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 08-03-2011 at 18:56. Reason: more text added
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 19:05   #29
JCB

Does anyone recall the large wooden hut near the corner of Fern Gore Avenue and Rimington Avenue which was a Coop before the shops on Fern Gore Avenue were built ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 20:14   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I am pretty sure he was on Nuttall Street, inbetween the Star Inn and the bottom part of South Street. In fact I feel he was next to a "ginnel" - there was an old grocers shop on the corner (the side of this shop faced the side of the Britannia Inn on Nuttall Street) if I remember correctly the grocers belonged to a Mr Cooper, then another shop, then the ginnel and then t'was Mr Barretts shop.

(oh drat, this is the only photo I can find and the shop we are talking about would have been on the L.H. side of this photo, probably just about where you can see part of a car!)

(Retlaw, if the photo is one of yours - nice one! Its a good un!)
Could well be, I took a lot of photos when they were knocking Nuttall St about. Heres a couple more.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuttall St. 1964..jpg (141.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Nuttall St. 1964.a.jpg (175.0 KB, 10 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..