Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 21:05   #31

Re: Accrington and Church Co-Operative Society

Interesting seeing these piccys of the old co-op.After my stint at Maypole(the first supermarket in Accy),I went to the co-op. They had me moving around a bit....I worked with a lovely lady at Baxenden....then went to Dowry st,then a shop at Church Kirk....not sure of the street....here I was introduced to a delivery pushbike complete with large basket on front..then they opened a big store on Blackburn Rd...think it was at the top end of Frederick St....close anyway(was changed to a bingo hall later from memory)..then I got a job closer to home at nuttall st which had just been refurbished into a mini market.At the co-op I learnt to weigh cheese,butter,coffee,dried fruits,lentils,dried peas..bag up sugar,rice.sago etc.slice up bacon and ham etc.I also learnt to add up quickly to avoid the nasty glares of the next customers waiting in lineThe co-op had it,s own social club..and had rooms at the top of Oak st where I spent many a night playing snooker with my mate John. Later on I left to work at Bulloughs with my dad.....then to Australia.I remember my co-op days with fondness even though it's nearly 50 yrs since I was there.
Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2011, 21:20   #32

Yep.......that,s right....York St ,Church was the Church Kirk shop I worked at...(wiff the bike).....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I am pretty sure he was on Nuttall Street, inbetween the Star Inn and the bottom part of South Street. In fact I feel he was next to a "ginnel" - there was an old grocers shop on the corner (the side of this shop faced the side of the Britannia Inn on Nuttall Street) if I remember correctly the grocers belonged to a Mr Cooper, then another shop, then the ginnel and then t'was Mr Barretts shop.

(oh drat, this is the only photo I can find and the shop we are talking about would have been on the L.H. side of this photo, probably just about where you can see part of a car!)

(Retlaw, if the photo is one of yours - nice one! Its a good un!)
The French Polishers place was very near to the Railway Bridge Atarah, as you were coming from the police station it was on your right hand side on the last block before the bridge
Old 09-03-2011, 10:00   #34
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The French Polishers place was very near to the Railway Bridge Atarah, as you were coming from the police station it was on your right hand side on the last block before the bridge
Yes , Jaysay , on the corner of Belfield Rd .

Just past it were some public toilets , but I'd better avoid that subject .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:03   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Yes , Jaysay , on the corner of Belfield Rd .

Just past it were some public toilets , but I'd better avoid that subject .
Ya but there were loads of public toilets in those days JCB

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..