Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 21:22   #31

Re: Accringtons Elusive Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
What are you shouting for.
Cow Houses is now inaccessible, rubbish dumped and overgrown, plus access from Jacob St is now blocked off. If you tried to get at it now, you might never be found again, I posted two photos earlier in the thread, and it was a shallow opening then, those picture were taken over 20 years ago. Those drawings and other photos are now in the Library

Retlaw
Couldn't be bothered to remove the caps lock...

PHIL
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2012, 21:36   #32
Senior Member+

See the book 'Lancashire's Medieval Monsteries' by Brian Marshall. which I published in2006.
Towards the end of the 12th century, Robert de Lacy gave the whole of the land we call Accrington to the Cistercians at Kirkstall. They set about farming it (grange is a French word meaning barn, but it also means estate) The Cistercians kicked the existing locals off the land, which enraged them, so they attacked the graange, burning it to the ground. 3 lay-brothers ( not monks, but blokes employed by the monstery to ruin the place) were killed - Norman, Humphrey & Robert. de Lacy
banished the wrong-doers and forced them to give up any rights they had in the area.They also had to pay.

Order restored, the abbbot rebuilt the grange and brought the estate back into productuion. Howevber, it onmly lasted until 1287, when it was returned to de Lacy,
,who paid him 50 marks annually.

Strange that we should call it Black Abbey, because Cistercians wore white habits.
suebeth likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 21:39   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Couldn't be bothered to remove the caps lock...

PHIL
Well i suppose it is hard work.
Old 12-01-2012, 21:59   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
See the book 'Lancashire's Medieval Monsteries' by Brian Marshall. which I published in2006.
Towards the end of the 12th century, Robert de Lacy gave the whole of the land we call Accrington to the Cistercians at Kirkstall. They set about farming it (grange is a French word meaning barn, but it also means estate) The Cistercians kicked the existing locals off the land, which enraged them, so they attacked the graange, burning it to the ground. 3 lay-brothers ( not monks, but blokes employed by the monstery to ruin the place) were killed - Norman, Humphrey & Robert. de Lacy
banished the wrong-doers and forced them to give up any rights they had in the area.They also had to pay.

Order restored, the abbbot rebuilt the grange and brought the estate back into productuion. Howevber, it onmly lasted until 1287, when it was returned to de Lacy,
,who paid him 50 marks annually.

Strange that we should call it Black Abbey, because Cistercians wore white habits.
There is a lot more to the story of the monks of Kirkstall than what you've shown, and some of it missleading. There are several documents in the Coucher book of Kirkstall relating to what was then know as the Vill of Akerington, it originally belong to Hugh son of Leofwine the Saxon before 1066. Hugh had 3 sons their names translate as William, Adam & Elias.
Those records are written in Latin, with the help of Josie Green in the Library, and member of the Catholic church. I managed to tranlate most of them.
Retlaw.
suebeth and gezmagus like this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-01-2012 at 22:07.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 13:55   #35
Junior Member+

Hi Heifers Bank and Cowhouses where they to do with the Vacarries please? As the name suggests they may. Where was Cowhouses the place, as from British History online it seemed to have been near Friarshills, the only places I find with Friar are farms near Baxendale and Green Haworth golf club. Just an added question, why was Bedlam so named?
suebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 14:18   #36
Junior Member+

Forgot to put in post I'm researching Walmsley family and they seemed to be associated with both Heifers Bank and Cowhouses.
Thomas and Ellen Walmsley at Cowhouses as early as 1339 and passed through their generations. Last mention was a George and Thomas Walmsley who surrendered the land in 1545, I don't know if they were brothers, but if they lived in the same place its odds on they were related in some way, and not sure if they are descendants of Thomas and Ellen, but again if its been passed down the family for generations, there must be some link? Maybe they had to surrender the land because they were Catholics?
I don't know when they started at Heifers Bank it just said they were long associated with the place, that was in 1509?

FRIARHILLS, also in New Accrington, was in 1527 tenanted by Nicholas Rishton, who paid 6s. 8d. a year. (fn. 40) The tenants of Cowhouses, High Ryley, New Laund and Fernhagh at that time are also recorded. (fn. 41)

¶William Ryley and Thomas Kenyon contributed to the subsidy in 1543 for their lands; in 1600 the contributors were John Ryley and Christopher Kenyon in Old Accrington, Nicholas Rishton, William Rishton and John Hargreaves in New Accrington; in 1626 Thomas Ryley and William Kenyon in Old, and in New Nicholas Rishton, Edmund Rishton, John Cunliffe, Christopher Hargreaves and James Walmesley. (fn. 42)

Have I got the places right or am I way off, thank you for the help with Hefers, even though there's nothing there now, at least I know roughly where that was.
Many thanks.
suebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 17:32   #37

Have I got the places right or am I way off, thank you for the help with Hefers, even though there's nothing there now, at least I know roughly where that was.
Many thanks.

The person to ask on this question is Bob Dobson, Send him a P.M. even if he does not know the answer he may be able to put you in touch with someone who does.
suebeth likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..