Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 11:38   #1
Junior Member+

The Elusive Abbey

Hiya, i am new to the site and am from Manchester, my family are originally from Accrington.

I have recently read a book called "Accrington" in which it talks about an abbey founded by the Kirkstall monks. Does anybody have any more information about the abbey or it founders or no where i can obtain it without having to travel to Accrington Library.
Mitchells is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2008, 11:48   #2
God Member

Re: The Elusive Abbey

kirkstall monks, originated in the Leeds area but as the following links show, they settled for a while at the grange in accrington
Early history - News - Accrington Observer

Townships - Old and New Accrington | British History Online

hope that helps you a bit
suebeth likes this.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54   #3
Junior Member+

Thanks for the links, its really odd to think that a monastery once stood in Accrington.
Mitchells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35   #4
Senior Member+

Re: Accringtons Elusive Abbey

This could be the area that it refers to in one of those links.

Unknown Tunnel - Accrington - REPORT - 10-08-07 - UK Urban Exploration Forums
Old 07-02-2008, 14:27   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchells View Post
its really odd to think that a monastery once stood in Accrington.
WHY my son?
Old 07-02-2008, 14:30   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

apparently shortly after the abbey was opened in 1200 3 monks were murdered and we say accys bad now!
Old 07-02-2008, 14:41   #7
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

Interesting Mr. D. Whereabouts is that?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:09   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
apparently shortly after the abbey was opened in 1200 3 monks were murdered and we say accys bad now!
Well there are people who regularly carry on the tradision
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 20:51   #9
I am Banned

Hi Mitchells.

There NEVER was an Abbey in Accrington. It was a Manorial Grange.
All the details can be found in the Coucher Book of Kirkstall Abbey, which is held at the Public Record Office at Kew.
The monks were granted some lands in Accrington by Robert de Laci cica 1190, and by the usual threats of eternal damnation managed to aquire more and more, however it never really paid them much, for they went broke circa 1280 and sold the lands back to the de Laci's, who then appointed a steward called de Riley, to over see the lands and farms, then called vacaries, of which there were 7., de Riley was based at what is called High Riley Farm. The Grange was situated from Hargreaves St, across Abbey St and part way down Black Abbey St. Why it was called Black Abbey St is unknown, for the monks of Kirkstall wore white habits.
It may have something to do with the fact that the displaced residents of Accrington burnt the first grange down and killed 3 of the monks.

Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchells View Post
Hiya, i am new to the site and am from Manchester, my family are originally from Accrington.

I have recently read a book called "Accrington" in which it talks about an abbey founded by the Kirkstall monks. Does anybody have any more information about the abbey or it founders or no where i can obtain it without having to travel to Accrington Library.
suebeth likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 21:01   #10
I am Banned

That tunnel is one of the early myths surrounding the so called Black Abbey, it was supposed to be an escape route for the monks, so the could get to Whalley Abbey, in case the residents of Accrington got uppety again. That was impossible as Whalley Abbey is 5 miles away, and wasn't built until after the monks of Kirkstall had left Accrington, and how would they get through all that solid rock without explosives, just think back some years when they were installing new sewers under Accrington, every evening about 6-30, you could hear the charges going off from the days drilling, there were surveyors all over the place, checking bench marks, photographing the slightest cracks in buildings an searching for signs of subsidence.

Retlaw
Quote:

Old 08-02-2008, 12:29   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Interesting Mr. D. Whereabouts is that?
All the info is on the 28DL thred.

Its behind where PC Tubes was.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:31   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That tunnel is one of the early myths surrounding the so called Black Abbey, it was supposed to be an escape route for the monks, so the could get to Whalley Abbey, in case the residents of Accrington got uppety again. That was impossible as Whalley Abbey is 5 miles away, and wasn't built until after the monks of Kirkstall had left Accrington, and how would they get through all that solid rock without explosives, just think back some years when they were installing new sewers under Accrington, every evening about 6-30, you could hear the charges going off from the days drilling, there were surveyors all over the place, checking bench marks, photographing the slightest cracks in buildings an searching for signs of subsidence.

Retlaw
I had been told the story of the monks tunnel, but I cannot see it being true either.

Would be great if it was though.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:35   #13
God Member

There was supposedly a tunnel between the cellar of the Stag Inn and the Dunkenhalgh.
Since the Stag was originally a hunting lodge in the Dunkenhalgh estate, it might well be true...anybody know?
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 13:48   #14
I am Banned

The so called Unknown Tunnel, is nothing more than what was known back in the mid 1800's as Cow Houses. It is off Jacob St and is not a tunnel, it is a Cow House existing from the 1700's. In 1984 a member of the local Historical Society and Myself drew up detailed plans of the whole site from Abbey St to Jacob St, we also went inside and took several photographs. The presnt day entrance is not the original, it was extended some seven feet to provide footings for another building which was for stables for the old Red Lion Inn.
Retlaw

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cow Houses..jpg (32.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Cow Houses-a..jpg (26.5 KB, 112 views)
suebeth likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-02-2008 at 13:50.
Old 08-02-2008, 16:40   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The so called Unknown Tunnel, is nothing more than what was known back in the mid 1800's as Cow Houses. It is off Jacob St and is not a tunnel, it is a Cow House existing from the 1700's. In 1984 a member of the local Historical Society and Myself drew up detailed plans of the whole site from Abbey St to Jacob St, we also went inside and took several photographs. The presnt day entrance is not the original, it was extended some seven feet to provide footings for another building which was for stables for the old Red Lion Inn.
Retlaw
Thanks for that insite/photos.

I to from research was told that, but having been inside, myself I find it hard to believe it was for cows or does cow house have a different meaning?, seems a bit to small. but agree it's no tunnel.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..