Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2009, 10:31   #16
Member.

Re: another local history puzzle

Just look at that photo.........not a wheel in sight, fantastic.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2009, 10:44   #17
God Member

I am sure that years ago, I saw an old photograph of Churchill addressing a crowd outside the Commercial Hotel (aka the Regency Bar). It would have been taken around the time he was MP for Oldham, the 1900's. I have not seen it since....has anyone else seen it? Or is it my overripe imagination?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 10:52   #18
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I am sure that years ago, I saw an old photograph of Churchill addressing a crowd outside the Commercial Hotel (aka the Regency Bar). It would have been taken around the time he was MP for Oldham, the 1900's. I have not seen it since....has anyone else seen it? Or is it my overripe imagination?

I've seen one in a book not to long ago, trouble is the book is still in Accrington so I can't tell you which one.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:12   #19
Senior Member+

Hi Tealeaf, a photo with W Churchill on doesnt ring a bell with me, but I bet you are correct. Re the date of the "flag" photo, I'm not very good at guessing dates, but I wondered if it could possibly be owt to do with the Coronation of King Edward V11, or is the photo not that old? Its an old postcard which I have but there are no clues on the back of it. Any suggestions?

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:24   #20
God Member

It's certainly post-1907 because you can just see the overhead tram cables, so that rules out Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, the Relief of Mafeking and the coronation of Edward 7th. It could be the coronation of George 5th or it could possibly be Empire Day, when the flags were stuck up once a year. I can't see 'owt that gives further clues...yet!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 14:48   #21
Resting in Peace

And not after 1924 when Woolworths was built. So George V Coronation 1911 looking the favourite at the moment.

George V and Queen Mary did visit Broad Oak in 1913, but don't think they went anywhere else in the town ?

Empire Day was May 24th, and George V's Coronation was in June ... looks really cold to me ... there again ... LOL.

Wasn't the town's Jubille either ... this was 1928.

Last edited by katex; 15-05-2009 at 14:54.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 14:54   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
And not after 1924 when Woolworths was built. So George V Coronation 1911 looking the favourite at the moment.

George V and Queen Mary did visit Broad Oak in 1913, but don't think they went anywhere else in the town ?

Empire Day was May 24th, and George V's Coronation was in June ... looks really cold to me ... there again ... LOL.

Wasn't the town's Jubille either ... this was 1928.
hell kate ya got a good memory.
Old 15-05-2009, 14:56   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
hell kate ya got a good memory.
Nah, got some good books here written by our local historians ... tee hee.

Maybe Bridge's were having their annual sale !
Old 15-05-2009, 19:42   #24
Resting in Peace

Wonder what has happened to all these buntings and flags. Will they be stored in the cellars of the Town Hall ? Did all the traders buy their own ? Would be good to get them out now and then to celebrate our town/country don't you think ?
Old 15-05-2009, 22:45   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
wonder what has happened to all these buntings and flags. Will they be stored in the cellars of the town hall ? Did all the traders buy their own ? Would be good to get them out now and then to celebrate our town/country don't you think ?
no.............
Old 15-05-2009, 23:53   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no.............
Like I've said before about you Cashy ... no grey areas ....
Old 17-05-2009, 01:59   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Like I've said before about you Cashy ... no grey areas ....
like a good moslem friend of mine used to say at work kate- Mr B****** you don't beat the bushes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..