Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2012, 19:00   #1
Senior Member+

Archaeologists at Arden Hall

The County Archaeology Dept are organising a dig at Arden Hall 9th to 29th July. There will be two Open Days -0n 14th & 21st. All are invited to do some digging on ANY day. details from; [email protected]

Last edited by Mick; 22-04-2012 at 04:58.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2012, 19:31   #2
I am Banned

Re: Archaeologists at Arden Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The County Archaeology Dept are organising a dig at Arden Hall 9th to 29th July. There will be two Open Days -0n 14th & 21st. All are invited to do some digging on ANY day. details from; [email protected]
All that trouble just to fine a two bob bit you lost 50 odd years ago.

Last edited by Mick; 22-04-2012 at 04:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:44   #3
Senior Member+

Have they got plenty of bags for the needles?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:48   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
What area precisely? In the house and private grounds part or the public area where the play park is, where there is/was foundations of ruined buildings.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 13:00   #5

What are they hoping to find? The Hall was only built in the mid 19th century wasn't it?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 14:46   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
What area precisely? In the house and private grounds part or the public area where the play park is, where there is/was foundations of ruined buildings.
There is no play area now .The swings etc were taken away because of misuse i.e.druggies The area is all open to the public
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 17:56   #7
Senior Member+

Any questions can be directed to the lady whose adddress I gave. I suspect that the archaeologists want to know if someone is turning up on other than an Open Day.
Old 23-04-2012, 13:24   #8
Senior Member+

Hi few more details for anyone interested.

"The excavation around the site of Arden Hall takes place between the 9th and 29th July. The excavation is free. There are two options for involvement; you can either dig as part of a core group with the professionals during the week or drop in at one of the open days on the 14th or 21st July.

As part of the core group you will be able to take part fully in the excavation and learn a range of skills from surveying, recording and excavation techniques working alongside Oxford Archaeology North. If you are already an experienced digger then please come along and share your skills. The excavation is open to all levels of knowledge and skill and we hope it will be a fun experience for all involved. Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee good weather".

Sounds as though it MAY be interesting.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 13:37   #9
Senior Member+

Atarah won't be able to stay away. Neither would I but I will be away.
Old 23-04-2012, 14:03   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
What are they hoping to find? The Hall was only built in the mid 19th century wasn't it?
As Balbus asks, are they looking for anything specific or is it more of a training exercise?

I met my other half on an archaeological dig - he says I'm the oldest thing he ever found...
Old 23-04-2012, 15:06   #11
Senior Member+

I call my wife 'Treasure' Its because people ask "Where did you dig her up from?" No, seriously, its because of her sunken chest.

I suspect that the answer is 'a bit of both'. It is being undertaken by a 'new' county council department keen to involve the community in priojects.I suspect that Artden hall was built on green belt land, I am not aware if there was already a farmstead there or not.
Old 23-04-2012, 17:26   #12

Aren't those dates the usual Accy Holiday dates... middle two weeks in July when most people are on holiday...me for one unfortunately, would have loved to have had a look and maybe do a dig......

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 17:32   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Aren't those dates the usual Accy Holiday dates... middle two weeks in July when most people are on holiday...me for one unfortunately, would have loved to have had a look and maybe do a dig......

Phil
Phil it's on for nearly three weeks 9 - 29 and it says All are invited to do some digging on ANY day.You might be able to fit it in.
Old 23-04-2012, 21:02   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
There is no play area now .The swings etc were taken away because of misuse i.e.druggies The area is all open to the public
So do druggies still go there? What about the area next to the house that once was private, Is it now public as well?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..