Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2009, 22:40   #31
I am Banned

Re: Busk - a district in Ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Blooming hek !! Did you see the price of that place ..

Couldn't find it this afternoon, was one path that did not have any signage at the bottom, which I figure must have been it. Difficult too on that road when you are travelling at 30 m.p.h. on a 50 with others up your boot ... understand like, so you don't hang around. Actually the next farm on was Mount Pleasant Farm ... see previous post.

Well, ya' got yer karma whether you want it or not you grouch ... As for the kiss ... could keep me lips closed if you prefer. LOL.
NO thanks
After you turn into Haslingden Old Rd from the top of Fielding Lane, Jumble Holes is after Mount Pleasant, the part of the road after jumble Holes is known as Round Hill, theres a Garden Center on your left as you go into Round Hill.

Grouch.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2009, 06:15   #32
God Member

Retlaw , your knowledge of the local area and history reminds me of the chap who used to do the column in the Accy Observer , think he was called Joyson/Joinson (sure someone will correct me ), but really enjoy your posts on the local area , Thanks for passing the info on to future generations
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:17   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Blooming hek !! Did you see the price of that place ..

Couldn't find it this afternoon, was one path that did not have any signage at the bottom, which I figure must have been it. Difficult too on that road when you are travelling at 30 m.p.h. on a 50 with others up your boot ... understand like, so you don't hang around. Actually the next farm on was Mount Pleasant Farm ... see previous post.

Well, ya' got yer karma whether you want it or not you grouch ... As for the kiss ... could keep me lips closed if you prefer. LOL.
Its not bad when you give um a choice kate
Old 24-09-2009, 12:24   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Retlaw , your knowledge of the local area and history reminds me of the chap who used to do the column in the Accy Observer , think he was called Joyson/Joinson (sure someone will correct me ), but really enjoy your posts on the local area , Thanks for passing the info on to future generations
The chap your refering to was Roland Joynson, I knew him well through the Fire Brigade, whenever there was a serious incident he would be there.
My knowledge af the area comes from my time in the Fire Brigade, one of my jobs was to keep the records of farms, small holdings and other properties in outlying areas, checking access and water supplies, over 900 properties in our division area of over 200 square miles.

Each property had a card with a hand drawn map on the back showing the route distances and water supplies, all the details were kept in what we called a farm register, every appliance carried a copy, I still have my copy.

All that is now superceded by an electronic navigation system. a few years ago one of the officers showed me the new system and how it worked, it was based on a post code database, so I got the old cards out and beat it 5 out of 10, a lot of those places don't have post codes, they collect there own mail from a PO box number. So it shows local knowledge is best.

Retlaw.
Old 24-09-2009, 18:56   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its not bad when you give um a choice kate
Nearly mentioned tongues .. but thought better of it ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 19:16   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
now yer talking.
Old 24-09-2009, 22:15   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm goin tu tell me mam oer thee, she towd me tu hev owt tu do wi funny wimin.

Retlaw
Old 25-09-2009, 09:58   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I nearly put that as a third option kate, then I thought better of it too
Old 15-10-2009, 16:13   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
NO thanks
After you turn into Haslingden Old Rd from the top of Fielding Lane, Jumble Holes is after Mount Pleasant, the part of the road after jumble Holes is known as Round Hill, theres a Garden Center on your left as you go into Round Hill.

Grouch.
Well .. didn't think the above was correct .. not the map references you gave me originally ... but you were almost correct with your first direction.

Happened to go on Grane Road again this afternoon ... coming from the Haslingden direction ... spotted a name plate on the side of a largish house ... Bingo !! 'Jumble Holes' Is a house, painted a creamy colour, on the left hand side of the road. Was the expectation of a lane that put me off. Good job they didn't have a fire ...

Happy Bunny now ... will try and get a piccie for my friend.
Old 15-10-2009, 16:52   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Well .. didn't think the above was correct .. not the map references you gave me originally ... but you were almost correct with your first direction.

Happened to go on Grane Road again this afternoon ... coming from the Haslingden direction ... spotted a name plate on the side of a largish house ... Bingo !! 'Jumble Holes' Is a house, painted a creamy colour, on the left hand side of the road. Was the expectation of a lane that put me off. Good job they didn't have a fire ...

Happy Bunny now ... will try and get a piccie for my friend.
The original directions were from Fielding Lane and are correct, the distance was given in 1/10ths of a mile, if you'd followed my original instruction, and kept note of the tripometer you would have stopped right at the entrance, give or take a yard or two. What should I have said 2nd driveway on right, when I drew up those instructions they were lane entrances, not my fault if some one tarts it up, and puts some tarmac down.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-10-2009 at 16:57. Reason: spell
Old 15-10-2009, 16:56   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The original directions were from Fielding Lane and are correct, the distance was given in 1/10ths of a mile, if you'd followed my original instruction, and kept note of the tripometer you would have stopped right at the entrance, give or take a yard or two. What should I have said 2nd driveway on right, when I drew up those instructions they were lane entrances, not my fault if some one tarts it up, and puts some tarmac down.

Retlaw
I did Retlaw .. just was thrown by down a lane that's all.

Humph ... men ... always have to have the last word.
Old 15-10-2009, 17:01   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
I did Retlaw .. just was thrown by down a lane that's all.

Humph ... men ... always have to have the last word.
Thats as it should be, do as your told next time.
And solve the picture puzzle, I have another waiting.

Retlaw.
Old 20-12-2010, 21:36   #43
God Member

Found a picture of Busk here
Lancashire Lantern | Subjects | Item

It is one block further up the road than I expected it to be.
Those houses were still standing in my childhood.
If I had known then what I know now ..........

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 08:59   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Found a picture of Busk here
Lancashire Lantern | Subjects | Item

It is one block further up the road than I expected it to be.
Those houses were still standing in my childhood.
If I had known then what I know now ..........
I remember those houses too Margaret, block lower than town hall, like you I thought it would be more in keeping with Buskmeadow Street
Old 21-12-2010, 09:04   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember those houses too Margaret, block lower than town hall, like you I thought it would be more in keeping with Buskmeadow Street
what was built after is now gone, St Pauls i think it was, i made those Big Louvered doors, was sorry to see em vanish.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..