Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2009, 17:37   #16
God Member

Re: Busk - a district in Ossy

Thanks Kate - I couldn't remember where I had seen it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2009, 20:56   #17
God Member

Not far from me.
I'd say it's the area where Rhyddings School is and all the terraced houses around there.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 22:56   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

Busk figures in the 1861 census. What a lot of Haworths!

Oswaldtwistle and Church 1861 Census Data
Old 23-07-2009, 11:24   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
There's a map on Ossygobbin's site Jaysay ... showing the area of Busk quite clearly ... not dated though. Go into the entry for 'Old Oswaltwitle Map' on the home page ... easy to find. Life and times of Oswaldtwistle :: Fotopic.Net

Would put it up for you, but not sure of copyright, etc.
Thanks kate, I do go on that site quite often, Mike is a friend of mine, used to be a drinking buddy back in the 70s, but'll go on and have a look for that map
Old 22-09-2009, 17:16   #20
Resting in Peace

Sorry to take over your thread Margaret ... but have a similar query, and used all the information as supplied on here, so would save any repetitions.

Have spent a little time doing some family research for a friend and discovered her mum was living at 'Jumble Holes', Oswaldtwistle according to the 1911 census. It would be a farm ... but can't find it anywhere. Possible nearer to Blackburn ? Any ideas anyone ?

Also ... bit miffed ... did put some credit on the 1911 site ... 10 credits for household search. I just happened to see a box which said previous searches .. thought would show blank ... stupid me hit it twice ... came up with two random households and took away 20 credits from me.

So if anyone had any relations starting with the head as the family as Richard Whittaker/Farmer/Mr(?)Pleasant Farm or Leon Gambetta Booth/Coal Miner/1 Benjamin Row both Ossie ... can feed you with further details of the other occupants ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:45   #21
God Member

Quote:
Mr(?)Pleasant Farm
That will be Mount Pleasant (Mt for short)
The Hippings Methodist chapel at the top of Chapel St, and the primary school which was next to it, were known as Mount Pleasant - so the farm must have been on/around that area

Old 22-09-2009, 17:54   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That will be Mount Pleasant (Mt for short)
The Hippings Methodist chapel at the top of Chapel St, and the primary school which was next to it, were known as Mount Pleasant - so the farm must have been on/around that area
Guessed that Margaret ... thanks anyway. As you know, lots of mistakes on the census records taken from hand written notes.
Old 22-09-2009, 18:13   #23
God Member

Benjamin Row is up Green Haworth
..Found this
charcater cottage, For Sale. 1 benjamin row, ramsclough lane, green haworth oswaldtwistle BB5 3RZ

Old 22-09-2009, 18:25   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks again Margaret ... but I am interested in Jumble Holes. Perhaps I didn't make my post clear enough ... LOL.
Old 22-09-2009, 18:27   #25
God Member

At least my posts are giving this 'the bump'

Old 22-09-2009, 18:46   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
At least my posts are giving this 'the bump'
Well, yeh ... maybe someone who has a Whittaker or Booth on here as I mentioned .. could have the info. for free, which I didn't want in the first place ! ... most peculiar ... just be careful on that site ...
Welcome to the official 1911 Census website

See the box which says previous .. that is what I hit, and brought up the two I mentioned ... just a warning to take care.

See!! Won't even let me copy/paste the page to show you !!! Goes back to the home page !! Clever sods.
Old 22-09-2009, 20:08   #27
I am Banned

Have spent a little time doing some family research for a friend and discovered her mum was living at 'Jumble Holes', Oswaldtwistle according to the 1911 census. It would be a farm ... but can't find it anywhere. Possible nearer to Blackburn ? Any ideas anyone ?

Katex. "Jumble Holes" is recorded as being in Haslingden in the Fire Brigade records.
Go to the top of Fielding Lane, and at the junction with Haslingden Old Rd turn left towards Haslingden and carry on for 4/10ths of a mile, the lane to Jumble Holes is on your right. Map Ref 767-251.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 07:06   #28
Resting in Peace

Retlaw .. what a star you are ! Would come up Manchester Road and give you a sloppy kiss ... except you probably wouldn't appreciate it ... So will reward you some karma instead.

Coincidentally, have to go up there later this afternoon, so will take a look.

It lists it as being in Ossie on the census in the Blackburn district .. suppose boundaries have changed since then though. ?
Old 23-09-2009, 12:40   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Retlaw .. what a star you are ! Would come up Manchester Road and give you a sloppy kiss ... except you probably wouldn't appreciate it ... So will reward you some karma instead.

Coincidentally, have to go up there later this afternoon, so will take a look.

It lists it as being in Ossie on the census in the Blackburn district .. suppose boundaries have changed since then though. ?
Katex its 30 yearas since I collated those records whilst in the Fire Brigade. It may not be called Jumble Holes now, but that is where it was then.

A number of the small farms were converted the land sold off, and then sold as country dwellings and changed their names to something posh.
I remember one Hoyty Toyty changed the name of Clod Hill Farm in Haslingden to Cloud Hill, and did'nt tell us.
We'd have been suggared If I had'nt realised what she'd
done. Told he off for not informing us of a change.

Retlaw.
What you send karma for I don't fully understand the reason for it, or why its nescessary. Keep your sloppy kisses to your self, don't like them either.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-09-2009 at 12:43.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 21:27   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Blooming hek !! Did you see the price of that place ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Katex its 30 yearas since I collated those records whilst in the Fire Brigade. It may not be called Jumble Holes now, but that is where it was then.

A number of the small farms were converted the land sold off, and then sold as country dwellings and changed their names to something posh.
I remember one Hoyty Toyty changed the name of Clod Hill Farm in Haslingden to Cloud Hill, and did'nt tell us.
We'd have been suggared If I had'nt realised what she'd
done. Told he off for not informing us of a change.

Retlaw.
What you send karma for I don't fully understand the reason for it, or why its nescessary. Keep your sloppy kisses to your self, don't like them either.
Couldn't find it this afternoon, was one path that did not have any signage at the bottom, which I figure must have been it. Difficult too on that road when you are travelling at 30 m.p.h. on a 50 with others up your boot ... understand like, so you don't hang around. Actually the next farm on was Mount Pleasant Farm ... see previous post.

Well, ya' got yer karma whether you want it or not you grouch ... As for the kiss ... could keep me lips closed if you prefer. LOL.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..