Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anzac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 17:02   #1
Junior Member+

Can anybody help with info on Broad Oak info??

Hello,

New to the forum and not from these parts (Accrington that is)

Trying to help a family member who's researching our family tree and looking for some information on Broad Oak if anyone can help.

We've tracked back my great great great grandad to be William Dugdale who according to his death certificate was 'Scalded by hot water and steam from the explosion of the boiler flue' in October 1859 at Broad Oak.
We found a story about the accident in the Blackburn Standard from the 12th October 1859 but thats about it. Was just hoping someone might have some more information on the factory or the accident.
I know from looking on the web that there are / where alot of Dugdale's up that way and possible even one of the factory owners??(not that he's a relative) And this just make's it harder to track our family line.

Also I've seen mention on the forum of books by Mike Rothwell and just wondered if anyone know's where I could get a copy of Industrial Heritage: A Guide To The Industrial Archaeology Of Blackburn. Part One: The Textile Industry as I hope that will have lot's of interesting stuff about Broad Oak but it seems to be out of print and no luck on Ebay, amazon etc etc.

Thanks to anyone with any info or links they can help me with.

Cheers.
gingergiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2012, 17:46   #2

Re: Can anybody help with info on Broad Oak info??

I have e.mailed Mike for you to see if he knows where any copies exist and also if it includes Broad Oak.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 18:34   #3
Resting In Peace

If you google Broad Oak printworks it will come up with lots of references some of which might be more useful than others. You might find this book interesting

Messrs. Hargreaves' Calico Print Works at Accrington, and Recollections of Broad Oak 1882: Amazon.co.uk: Benjamin Hargreaves: Books

You could also try putting Broad Oak in the Accyweb search box at the top of each page to see what else has been said in this forum.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 19:48   #4
Junior Member+

Thanks anzac thats great, Much appreciated. Would love to find a copy.

And thanks for the link susie, I did see that on amazon but can't find any reviews of what the books actually includes but I might just buy it any way.
I also tried google and did get some good info about Broad Oak, Thats where I found this website

Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2012, 22:12   #5

I have just had an e.mail back to say that there are no known copies of the Blackburn Part 1 that he knows of. Broad Oak was in the 1979 Accrington book of the same series but again no copies exist for sale.

However a friend of mine I believe has a copy of the Accrington edition and could possibly just copy the info about Broad Oak for you if you wish
Tony Cowburn likes this.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58   #6
Junior Member+

That would be excellent. Really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingergiant View Post
I did see that on amazon but can't find any reviews of what the books actually includes but I might just buy it any way.
The book is a republication of Accrington Guardian articles that Benjamin Hargreaves wrote in 1879 and 1880. He was an old man reminiscing on his life at that point, but there are lots of detail regarding the processes, associations with other businesses, and some of the people employed. It is quite heavy reading in places, but gives a good insight if you stick with it.

Oh - and shop around. The copyright has expired so they charge what they want. Normally cheaper on Abe Books.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20   #8
Junior Member+

Thanks for the info. Couldn't find a review of it anywhere. I'll have a look on abe and see what there best price is. Well worth getting by the sound of it.
Old 04-03-2012, 13:44   #9
I am Banned

Here it is From Mike Rothwells book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broad Oak Print Wrks..jpg (542.4 KB, 37 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:14   #10
Junior Member+

Thanks for the scan. Really appreciate you taking the time to do that and there's some intresting info there.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2012, 16:15   #11
Junior Member+

Just in case anyone every finds this post in the future and is interested I thought I should post the story that was in The Blackburn Standard to save them having to search all over the net like I have.

(Hope this works as couldn't upload to this forums gallery so had to put them on photobucket.)

According to the death certificate he lived for 8 hours after the explosion! not a nice way to go!
Old 13-11-2012, 19:40   #12

Gosh, thats pretty graphic! Thanks for sharing though - My great, great, great, great grandfather (rather a lot of greats!) owned Broad Oak so both articles posted have been interesting and useful. I visited Accrington in 2008 and found it fascinating to discover that the printworks were just down the hill from the house.
BWijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:27   #13
Senior Member+

This accident would have been made the subject of a Board of Trade enquiry, which would have resulted in a printed report. I have some for sale, but no Accrington ones. Maybe the library have one. It may be worthwhile to write to the House of Commons Library. I have copies of Mike Rothwell's books for sale.Drop me a PM and I will record your interest in the Hargreaves book if I come across one. Include your name and email address.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broad oak

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..