Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2012, 15:17   #31
Junior Member+

Re: coach house, ascot way (broad oak fold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I think I remember a boy called Stephen Hardisty at my school in the early fifties.
yes steven was her son
dawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2012, 19:00   #32
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, you mean this? "Fold" represents a number of small farmhouses and cottages, originally grouped together for mutual defence. A mighty oak tree once stood in this fold, hence its name.

Believe was once Estate offices and other buildings for Broad Oak House
I have followed this thread with great interest to see if anyone could shed some light on when the houses to the right of the Barn (it has always been known as that, The "Coach House " was a little nicety that Tom Mullhall had carved when he moved in there in the late 70s or early 80s)
All the houses to the right of the barn were demolished and then rebuilt at different times with the end one (Atarah's Picture) being built in 1934 and was the home of Mr Hinchcliffe, retired Headmaster of Peel Park School.
Odin
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 20:20   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I have followed this thread with great interest to see if anyone could shed some light on when the houses to the right of the Barn (it has always been known as that, The "Coach House " was a little nicety that Tom Mullhall had carved when he moved in there in the late 70s or early 80s)
All the houses to the right of the barn were demolished and then rebuilt at different times with the end one (Atarah's Picture) being built in 1934 and was the home of Mr Hinchcliffe, retired Headmaster of Peel Park School.
Odin
If you read post numb 5 you will see who lived in that house in the 1930's, and as I've said before, there are number of places in Accrington falsely labeled with date stones and other rubbish, The word Coach House can put another 20 grand on a property, which the gullible will fall for, it was never a coach house, who would the coach be for.
The chauffer for the owner of Bank House, Mr Crowe lived in that house, long before Hinchcliffe even went anywhere near Peel Park School, the garage was in the grounds of Bank House.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 12:22   #34
Junior Member+

Nathen Retlaw, If you look at the old photo (not the Painting)
of those houses to the right of the Barn you will see that the house adjacent to the Barn is the usual design of four equally spaced windows.
But the Building that replaced it has a totally different configuration of windows, not equally spaced and not all the same size.
it also was finished at its southwest corner (Sandy Lane end) with Large Corner stones all the way to the top. this wasn't normally done in the middle of a row, and there are no stones keyed into the barn.
The outer property was rebuilt at a later date and not at the same time and is also not keyed in anywhere, front or back
The roof lines of the two houses are different with the 1934 one being several inches lower than the other. The 1934 house is built of smaller stones than the other and if you look at Atarah's Picture you will see that the very end, smaller propery, has been demolished and rebuilt 90 degrees to its original site to accomodate the road. The original tall chimney which is clearly seen standing several feet over the roof of the original property. has been rebuilt and is now visible by only a few inches from the front. and that is why there is a Plaque which says 1934 because that was when the rebuild of that property was completed.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 18:58   #35
Junior Member+

THAT IS VERY INTERESTING MR ODIN!!!!!

we walked past it to look at it and you can see it was moved.was it a coach house for the carrages the chauffer used to ride in at any point or stables???
dawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:32   #36
Full Member+

We spent a very enjoyable few hours in Accrington reference library, on Tuesday, trying to make sense of our family timeline. One of our people was born at Broad Oak farm in 1942. The farm was part of the fold and from what we can gather, in addition to the farm, there were 3 or 4 other properties within the fold itself. The name Clark(e) is in the Burgess guides which ties in with our family. We have been down in Accrington for a few days and have taken the opportunity to explore other properties up Sandy Lane, which have family connections. If you witnessed a dodgy looking couple staring suspiciously at your house on Wednesday morning, we were not casing your property, honest!

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 20:11   #37

Hi Joan, in your post you mentioned Marlene Newsham. She's my sister. You did visit Broad Oak Fold to see our grandma. I found an old photo of my grandma Newsham taken on the wishing Stone in Old Hill Park in 1934.
IreneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 17:39   #38

In the early 1950`s I used to visit the cottages quite regularly. The end cottage on the left was the home of the Flanagan family. I believe they went to Australia. I don't know if it was true but I was told Philip (Flanagan Snr.) sold all the farm stock to give himself a nest egg in Australia. I believe the farm owner was non to pleased when he found out
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 19:10   #39
Junior Member+

Hi with what was called Cowhouses being close to where was called the Abbey, do you think the Cowhouses land would have been part of the Abbey's farm land? Just in case you know or somebody does please?
suebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..