Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2006, 22:10   #31

Re: Help! I've got myself a friend!

Hi Carl I've had a look at your link sounds a bit weird, wonder if anyone actually witnessed this that still lives in the area? I do think it is weird that there have been other people who have sensed, heard or seen things in the same area. Very strange, as much as I am a sceptic and have looked for every explanination that is possible from having an animal stuck in the house some where, to a window being open. Having left the tape on overnight and unable to give any reasonable explanation for the strange noises, I do except that the strange happenings or caused by something or someone else. Although it does seem strange that is only recently things have started to happen it is still unnearthing, not only that but the whole atmosphere in the house has changed.
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2006, 10:58   #32

it did the same with me and i got fed up with it as i couldnt sleep so i told it to stop it well that it did but after a couple of days thats when my pictures came flying at me and the rest
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 12:56   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Also Tinks Lived on west crescent

I did hate that back bedroom. It often smelt of a perfume that I couldn't place, it was a perfume I'd probably associate with an elderly lady. I can't say it was a bad feeling, it just felt like someone was in there with me. It was the only room in the house I felt uncomfortable in. The room never bothered the kids when they were sleeping in there though.
Old 29-12-2006, 13:41   #34
Member.

Don’t antagonise it. Respect applies to both sides of the vale and lets face it your on the weaker side of the fence. If you can’t communicate respectful, ignore what’s there.

There is a difference between spiritual presences, haunting and poltergeist activity if there’s a spiritual presence of a form friend or relative that wishes to communicate with you or your partner and you miss out on that opportunity because you buggered about, then more fool you.

If you have a spirit person in visitation then most likely once it’s made itself known it will come and go without interference with this world. It will be interested in the house not you. Knockings maybe simply a result of reliving events of an earlier time, all you need do is ask politely and respectfully for it to stop.

If you have poltergeist activity it maybe a simple case of an adolescent connected to the home, you or your partner burning off energy. If however, it is an elemental spirit or a negative human presence then you’d be better keeping to a respectful approach and seek help of someone qualified to deal with its removal.

Do not watch an episode of Most Haunted and think you can go dictating terms, marking demands or go mocking and challenging the presence. If you chose to do so then you might well get the biggest surprise of you life, and believe me it will take some time to get over it.

Show respect regardless of what you’ve got, even if it turns out to be nothing a positive atmosphere will always act as a barrier against negativity and improve your home.

Finally, the mind is a powerful tool but can easily be damaged or weakened unless you are mentally strong enough to deal with these matters. In all these matters we are born ignorant for a purpose.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 09:14   #35
Senior Member+

We've been living in the Oaklea for just over a week now, & have had a couple of strange experiences. These seem to all be about items being taken. When we were moving in i had all the screws & pins for our bed in a small clear plastic bag, which i placed on a cupboard in the bedroom for safe keeping. The following day when i was about to re-construct the bed, i couldn't find the bag. We moved every item of furniture in the room whilst trying to find them. I was getting quite frustrated so i asked (aloud) for them back. Two days later the bag appeared on the staircase at the opposite end of the building. We had walked up & down the stairs countless times & would have seen them if they had been simply dropped by mistake.

We also had a set of keys that went missing around the same time. The keys were also on the same cupboard as the screws. These turned up in my old house. At first i thought that i'd dropped them during the removal process. However, i realised that the last time i was in my old house was on the Wednesday, & i didn't receive the keys until Thursday.

This morning i went downstairs to let the cleaner in & noticed that there was a pen in the middle of the floor behind the bar. I know that this wasn't there last night, as the floor was swept & mopped after we closed. The pen couldn't have rolled off the bar because they are kept at the back of the bar, & also the pen has a retractable clip on it which is about the size of a 50 pence piece & is flat.

All three items have two things in common.............

1. They are all shiney (metalic).

2. They have all been handled by myself.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 14:43   #36

accyjay things like that happened to me then the front door kept opening when it was locked wich i allways double check that then things started braking and so on ect ect so i kno how u feel with that annoying isnt it lol
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 00:51   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
We've been living in the Oaklea
OOps it's started then Accyjay My mum used to work in the oaklea ( when it was the marlbrough ............ that place is haunted!!! the upstairs that is now the function room used to be a spare room!! and when I was a kid me and a mate used to doss up there playing table tennis!! it was always very eerie and in the end we stopped going up there because it was very scary. Some of the tales my mum used to tell me still make my hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Apparently it's a lady haunting........and you may be able to understand when I say " getting the smell of bacon " whaffting through the place at odd times of the day..... just watch out for it, you'll know what I mean when it happens. Also very strong smells of PIPE smoke when no-one else is about.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 00:53   #38
God Member

Quote:
getting the smell of bacon " whaffting through the place at odd times of the day

That, I can confirm. I've smelt it myself in the Marlborough
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13   #39
Resident Waffler

We had lots of experiences of things disappearing and later reappearing when we lived on Ramsbottom Street. One time a marble dropped on the floor in the kitchen right in front of my mother! That was spooky.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 16:47   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
OOps it's started then Accyjay My mum used to work in the oaklea ( when it was the marlbrough ............ that place is haunted!!! the upstairs that is now the function room used to be a spare room!! and when I was a kid me and a mate used to doss up there playing table tennis!! it was always very eerie and in the end we stopped going up there because it was very scary. Some of the tales my mum used to tell me still make my hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Apparently it's a lady haunting........and you may be able to understand when I say " getting the smell of bacon " whaffting through the place at odd times of the day..... just watch out for it, you'll know what I mean when it happens. Also very strong smells of PIPE smoke when no-one else is about.
Oh dear Accyjay no surprise, besides we thought after the alterations that would awaken a few ghostly spirits making themselves known
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:

This morning i went downstairs to let the cleaner in & noticed that there was a pen in the middle of the floor behind the bar. I know that this wasn't there last night, as the floor was swept & mopped after we closed. The pen couldn't have rolled off the bar because they are kept at the back of the bar, & also the pen has a retractable clip on it which is about the size of a 50 pence piece & is flat.
This morning when i went downstairs there was a small pool of water in exactly the same place as where the pen was the other day.

Last night Kate asked me to check the function room, because she thought that she saw somebody sat in the corner. When i checked, there was nobody there.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:44   #42
Member.

Quote:
This morning when i went downstairs there was a small pool of water in exactly the same place as where the pen was the other day.

Last night Kate asked me to check the function room, because she thought that she saw somebody sat in the corner. When i checked, there was nobody there.

So Accyjay, how would you feel if half a dozen of us came and spent the night at your establishment say between 12 and 8, just to establish what’s there. Nothing dramatic just 6 accyweb volunteers with digital cameras and voice recorders and a couple of simple baseline test. Obviously you would retain control of any information relating to the setting and no information would be released to the media unless you yourself desire to do so.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 04-01-2007, 11:10   #43
Resident Waffler

Just don't invite Derek Acorah or you'll lose all credibility.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:17   #44
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Just don't invite Derek Acorah or you'll lose all credibility.
I know, we'd be better off with Windy Rindy. No mediums would be the order of the night me think's. I rather see for myself than be told by a medium that their's a ghost of an old woman piddling on the floor.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25   #45
God Member

i reckon if you look far enough back in the history books you might find that that area was maybe once some sort of burial ground....thats what i reckon anyway, just a thought

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..