Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Heritage Open days Sept 2011

Fair comment anzac, but seeing as its the "council" buildings we wanna explore", think it would be the Council we would have to ask?????
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2011, 15:00   #32
I am Banned

[quote=katex;912981]I'll answer that for you Garinda.

We had a surprise visit from a gentleman who works for H.B.C. at the meeting on Thursday. He is, at the moment, the Acting Manager of the Haworth. He was running a few ideas to us.

It was suggested about using the gallery as a museum too, but when the building was given to the town by the Haworths ....it was specified it should be used as an Art Gallery.

Seemingly, there is a plaque up there which states this, and we cannot go against the beneficiary's last wishes. Did wonder though if we could not insert something on the wording ... (only joking).

The stable block was suggested, but like all things ... H.B.C. have not got the money to even clean it up properly.
I've just been up the Haworth, yes there is a bronze plaque over the fire place, and it does say Museum and Art Gallery.
As for exhibiting things things as a museum would, there isn't room, they inherited some of the things that used to be in Oak Hill along with the items that Ann Haworth left.
Trouble is they have no room to permanently display them, and as for making use of other parts of the building, like the stable block etc, that again is a non starter. The Haworth is a listed building, not only the outside, but a large part of the inside as well, including the stable block & garage, they can't even change the door handles, unless with like, thats why I've had to repair two of them recently, nothing matching available.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 15:07   #33
Senior Member+

Thanks for that Retlaw. But ... as they have some museum items already, which ARE ALREADY stored in a room, would be nice if we could have THAT room and just make them more "display friendly".
Think its time for an official letter to be sent out .......
We could type one out and get all the folk who go to the next reunion on 13th August to sign it ????????????????
Old 06-08-2011, 16:13   #34
Give, give, give member

Without wishing to be too contrary, the Accy Pals exhibition isn't art.

Nor was the Accrington Stanley one.

Both crowd pullers.

Perhaps the museum could be an annual exhibition, which could then change it's theme, industry, transport, social/civic history etc., and could be stored somewhere off site?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:22   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Fair comment anzac, but seeing as its the "council" buildings we wanna explore", think it would be the Council we would have to ask?????
Perhaps the local hysterical, whoops, historical society, should try and liase with the borough and county council, and try and encourage them to take part next year?

Old 06-08-2011, 16:25   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps the local hysterical, whoops, historical society, should try and liase with the borough and county council, and try and encourage them to take part next year?
I don't really think the society is hysterical.

Though I'm sometimes amazed at the passion local history can induce.

Old 06-08-2011, 17:54   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Thanks for that Retlaw. But ... as they have some museum items already, which ARE ALREADY stored in a room, would be nice if we could have THAT room and just make them more "display friendly".
We could type one out and get all the folk who go to the next reunion on 13th August to sign it ????????????????
It will not be possible to make the storeroom into an exhibition room, remember the Haworth was designed as a house, vey little inside or out can be changed, the question raised by Gari about things stored off site, again the cost comes into consideration, there was only enough money for a big office for britcliffe, and his medals & plaques, money for museums, extra storage, which will incur extra transport & insurance etc, will not happen.
Retlaw.

Old 06-08-2011, 18:04   #38
I am Banned

We could type one out and get all the folk who go to the next reunion on 13th August to sign it ????????????????[/quote]
Thats a laugh, they'll all sign it, an I'll bet on Sunday 1/2 of them won't remember, how many of those who sign have ever been inside the Haworth, or Blackburn Museum, or the one up the Valley.
As Spock said to Cptn Piquard, the needs on the many out weigh the needs of the few.
Retlaw.
Old 06-08-2011, 18:23   #39
I am Banned

[quote=garinda;923905]Without wishing to be too contrary, the Accy Pals exhibition isn't art.
Maybe it is not classed as art, but they are pictures after all, and July 1st this year was a special occasion, as was July 2006. Does that mean I shouldn't ask to put my pictures up every year for July 1st.
I wish some one would let me know, then I can either keep them or get rid of them.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-08-2011 at 18:25. Reason: Spell
Old 06-08-2011, 18:51   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Get em up every July, as long as yeh can.
Old 06-08-2011, 19:16   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Maybe it is not classed as art, but they are pictures after all, and July 1st this year was a special occasion, as was July 2006. Does that mean I shouldn't ask to put my pictures up every year for July 1st.
I wish some one would let me know, then I can either keep them or get rid of them.
Retlaw.
No, of course it should be there.

Just pointing out that it isn't 'art'.

It's a disgrace a town like Accrington hasn't some sort of museum.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Very few problems are insurmountable, with enough determined effort.

Old 06-08-2011, 19:52   #42
Give, give, give member

Only my opinion, and I've said as much before, but the curatorship of the Haworth, as an art gallery, has been dire for a number of years.

If someone in charge had flair, and vision, it could be a cultural destination, and put Accrington on the map.

They don't, and it isn't.

Besides the Tiffany glass collection, how many people know anything about the permanent painting/drawing collection, which has an estimated worth of over five milion pounds?

Very few I suspect.

Some of the exhibitions of recent years have been woeful.

Perhaps it might be an idea to ditch some of the monthly exhibitions, if they're going to be so pitiful.

Refuse exhibition space to amateur painting groups from outside the borough etc., and give it over to exhibits that actually relate to the town, just as the Pals/Stanley displays did.

It just takes a little vision.

Always a handy thing to have if you're running a gallery.

Yet sadly there is very little of that in evidence up at the Haworth.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:08   #43
Senior Member+

Heritage Weekend! Loads of fab things to do over Burnley way!!!!
Heritage Open Days
Old 11-09-2011, 15:40   #44
Senior Member+

Heritage Weekend Sept 2011

Have been to Towneley Hall in Burnley today, seeing as there didnt seem to be anywhere in Accrington to go to, on this once a year event! What a fantastic day it turned out to be! Excellent! Lots of folk had made the effort and turned up. We watched a battle re-enactment, there were lots of "side stalls" - e.g. owls on display, food stalls, free tours around the wonderful house - we went through doors you are not normally allowed through. We went in the cellar, down long long passageways, we went up to the very top floor of the house, along the paths of the original house servants, we were allowed to go behind the glass window which normally keeps visitors from going into the victorian kitchen, and allowed to touch the exhibits if we so wished. We went shown the Priests Hole etc. etc. Smashing family day out. Well done Burnley!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..