Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2003, 14:36   #1
Senior Member+

Post History of the Bees Knees.

Can anubody tell me what the Bees Knees was called back in the 60's? Cheers  ???
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2003, 16:16   #2

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Post Re: History of the Bees Knees.

It was called the Derby in the early 70's.
Old 23-10-2003, 19:51   #3
Senior Member+

I used to go in the derby in the early seventies, used to have folk singing in there back then.
Old 24-10-2003, 09:04   #4
God Member

The Derby -   a good place to score waccy baccy and other stuff (no rubbish 1980's Extacy, though) in the early 70's - the place was notorious for it. There were several police raids there if I remember correctly. The bar uses to be in the middle of the pub basically seperating the place into rooms - the back room was the druggie dealing place

The place became the Bee's Knees around '72 or 73, being the second "themed" pub in Accy (The first being the Pickwick, roughly where Boots now stands)

I know I had a few good Vom in the bogs there, Chistmas Eve 1974 and was last in about 1979....dunno when it changed back to the Derby...and then back to the Bees Knees again..silly name really, whereas the Derby really mean something in terms of Accringtons history. Where's Owd Bert - he could probably tell that part of the tale better.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2003, 22:18   #5

there was always plenty of folk singing in there when I used to go in in the 80's, all usually ****ed mind you!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2003, 13:27   #6
Senior Member+

I suppose it was called the Derby in the 60's? I heard the back room was called the Blue Room or som ' at.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:34   #7

The Bees Knees was called the Derby Arms in
the 40s I think that was the original name.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:06   #8

It was also called the derby in the 90's as well
Old 04-11-2003, 13:40   #9
Caz
God Member

I've got a 1907 map that also has it as the Derby Arms.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 13:54   #10
God Member

No one has yet picked up on the historical connection....so here it is:

The pub was named the Derby when built in the 19C after the Earl of Derby, a Lancastrian family based mainly in the south of the county, the Earldom being created at the time of the Wars of the Roses.

They're still around,m although no longer sitting in the House of Lords...and they still have alot of land and properties around Lancashire....they used to some in Accy, although I don't know the current position. Knowsley Safari Park belongs to the family.

Like all aristocrats, they have a family surname.....theirs is

STANLEY!

Just remember that, if you're an ASFC fan next time you're drinking in the "Bees Knees"

Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 14:27   #11
Jo

Blimey Tealeaf, your a walking encycolpedia!  ;D
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 11:13   #12
Junior Member+

Easy now TL you're risking people finding out that us Northerners aren't as thick as we make out and that our quant parochial vernacular is a cunning subterfuge to get over-enthusiastic Shandy drinking southerners to do all the taxing work  [smiley=up2something.gif]
Old 28-11-2003, 11:28   #13
Resting in Peace

if the building was there in 1901 you can go to the PRO site and look up any house that was standing then it will even tell you who was living there in 1901
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 12:42   #14
Senior Member+

Re: History of the Bees Knees.

i'm sure i left a post on this...

due to the age of the bees would this be a listed building then? i assume planning permission to alter fronts etc would be alot harder to obtain

is there some sort of regeneration scheme in operation that is trying to get these shut down places reopened in some capacity? not necessarily as a bar...
Old 13-05-2010, 15:54   #15

Re: History of the Bees Knees.

What is the PRO site please ??? different from the census I assume ?
Thanks
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..