Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2010, 14:48   #1
Junior Member+

Congregational Tabernacle

Anyone have any information on the Congregational Tabernacle, that used to be on Whalley Road?
Dizzy Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2010, 15:35   #2
God Member

Re: Congregational Tabernacle

I used to know most of the pubs on Whalley Rd, but not that one. Cashy can probably tell a story about getting barred from it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:45   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Lizzy View Post
Anyone have any information on the Congregational Tabernacle, that used to be on Whalley Road?
What type of house was it Thwaites, Lions, Duttons, Massey's
Old 13-09-2010, 18:43   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What type of house was it Thwaites, Lions, Duttons, Massey's
She's on about God botherers, not Gods sinners, I don't think they sold alchoholic beverages.
Probably need to be more specific as to where abouts on Whalley Rd, seeing as it stretches to Whalley, thowd bughut were a church of some sort at one time. There were the Whalley Rd Methodists up near top end of Milnshaw.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 18:50   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was that not Whalley Rd Congregation, were the vets is situated now? used to go youth club yon. as fer tabernacle dunno if was one of them.
Old 13-09-2010, 18:58   #6
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Lizzy View Post
Whalley Road Congregational Church was a little higher up the road from the top of Milnshaw Lane .

When the English Congregational and Presbyterian Churches united to form the United Reformed Church , it became , and is still known as , the Whalley Road United Reformed church .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 19:00   #7
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was that not Whalley Rd Congregation, were the vets is situated now? used to go youth club yon. as fer tabernacle dunno if was one of them.
The church where the vets is was a Methodist church .
Old 13-09-2010, 19:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The church where the vets is was a Methodist church .
ah yer right, memorys not what it was any more, can still remember boozers, but churches is a no no.
Old 13-09-2010, 21:27   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
She's on about God botherers, not Gods sinners, I don't think they sold alchoholic beverages.
Probably need to be more specific as to where abouts on Whalley Rd, seeing as it stretches to Whalley, thowd bughut were a church of some sort at one time. There were the Whalley Rd Methodists up near top end of Milnshaw.
Retlaw
Only address I have is New School, Whalley Road, Accrington and we are talking 1920's wedding.

Lizzy
Dizzy Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 09:16   #10

Haven't been back to Accy for some time but if there is a United Reformed Church on Whalley Road then I'd be fairly sure it's the old Congregational Chapel and must date to before 1920. It may be that a new Sunday School was added about then but I'd have to bow to the knowledge of local historians on that one.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 09:18   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I remember that cashy went with the early Warriors on a friday night gig three in the early sixties
Old 14-09-2010, 18:04   #12
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember that cashy went with the early Warriors on a friday night gig three in the early sixties
My mum met my dad there in the 1930s .
My dad was in the Sunshine Boys who performed there .
Old 15-09-2010, 14:46   #13
Senior Member+

Whalley Road Cong Church was built in 1877 and the school room next door was opened in 1891. The school accomodated 400 and cost about £750. I can understand that, even though it was 30yrs old in 1920, it might still be referred to as the NEW school.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 15:09   #14
Beacon of light

There used to be a small church at the start of Whalley Road......not far from where the Hope and Anchor is.(on the block where Wolstenholmes shop used to be) I only remember this because my Auntie Phyllis was a bridesmaid there sometime in the 50's.......maybe about 1954. I went to watch. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:06   #15
Senior Member+

Very roughly BEHIND the Hope & Anchor was a small mission church in Cobden Street. I am certain there was no other in Whalley Rd except the Primitive Meths ( top of Kenyon St, opposite Meadow St) and the Cong further up towards the hospital. The Cong is intersting as it has an ENORMOUS flagstone in the path leading to the front door. It is so big that you wonder how they manhandled it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..