Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2010, 21:13   #16
I am Banned

Re: Congregational Tabernacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There used to be a small church at the start of Whalley Road......not far from where the Hope and Anchor is.(on the block where Wolstenholmes shop used to be) I only remember this because my Auntie Phyllis was a bridesmaid there sometime in the 50's.......maybe about 1954. I went to watch. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though
Margaret, just a slight correction, Whalley Rd actually starts at Peel St, from the corner next to the Trustee Bank.
A lot of people think it starts at Broadway, the site was between Kenyon St & Castle St, now the car park for the Vetenary, opposite Britcliffe Row.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2010, 06:58   #17
Beacon of light

Yes Retlaw when i think about I do know that because Walter Smiths Bake shop was Whalley Road......I should have said the town end, rather than up the hill.
Do you recall the church I am talking about? I didn't dream it did I?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 12:03   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Yes Retlaw when i think about I do know that because Walter Smiths Bake shop was Whalley Road......I should have said the town end, rather than up the hill.
No you didn't dream it.
What I would like to know is what
happened to their WW1 memorial
& Roll of Honour.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 18:54   #19
Senior Member+

I know a couple who were active at Whalley Rd Meths, so have asked them. Before that they went to Union St, so I have asked about that too.

That wedding you went to Margaret - the church had steps at the front - perhaps 2 lots, and the street at the left side was quite steep. It had a narrow back street at the other side, then some houses leading up to Castle St. Perhaps you went into the Castle pub for a gill and this will confirm which church it was.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 08:56   #20
Beacon of light

Yes Bob you were right about the steps up to the church.....and about the sttepness of the street at the side....and another thing I remember is that the path up the the house at the side(which was where the bridesmaids changed(think it was some relative of the groom who lived there) had a verandah style walkway to the front door...which was at the side of the house (?). No, I didn't have a gill anywhere as I was only about five years old...so was whisked away by my dad after the wedding pics were taken......this was around 1952/3.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 18:41   #21
JCB

Quote:
It was Central Methodist church . It was demolished , and replaced by a brick building , which was then demolished to make way for the town centre development , or maybe because of decilne in attendance .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:20   #22
Junior Member+

Thanks for your input folks.

The marriage was solemnized at 'The Congregational Tabernacle, New School, Whalley Road, Accrington' ... 'according to the Rites and Cermonies of the Congregationalists by Licence'... both a Minister and a Registrar were present.
No mention of a church.

Just out of interest, what is the name of the church that has a schoolroom entrance on Malt Street? Is/was that a Methodist church?

Lizzy
Dizzy Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 16:47   #23

Many non conformist churches then (and some still now) weren't authorised to conduct weddings without a Registrar so the Minister will have conducted the service and the Registrar just dealt with the paperwork.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..