Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busman747

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 14:50   #1

Info on China St.

Hi, everyone. I'm knew to this forum (to most forums, actually, lol), so please excuse me if I didn't post this in the right place.

My great and/or great great grandparents were born on China St. in Accrington. Does anyone know why it was called that? I'm researching my ancestry on the Brindle family and would like as much info as I can get on where they came from. Thanks!!
countryluva03813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2011, 16:33   #2

Re: Info on China St.

I did some work on an alfred brindle who lived on china street some years ago. Did some of the family move to Rhode Island?
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:52   #3

Hi,
I just joined this site at the recommendation of my cousin who posted above. To answer your question.....YES, some of our Brindles from Accrington/Oswaldtwistle DID move to Rhode Island between 1881 and 1884....we still have relatives in England but just don't know who they are yet. I have been doing our Brindle family history for 10 years now. And would love to find more Brindle's in England.
Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:58   #4
Senior Member+

China , Persia, India,Holland, Swiss, Poland & Russia Streets were built on land owned by Frederick Steiner, who exported cotton textiles to these countiries from his Church factory which could be seen from China St. He was showing off - deservedly so. The houses mostly were built about 1880 but the streets were planned long before then.

Many of the streets from Church along Blackburn Road towards Accrington bear names associated with Steiner, including Frederick and Steiner Streets.

Have a look at census returns from 1861 onwards

Brindle is a village about 20miles west of Accrington. Near Chorley & Blackburn

I suggest that, to find brindkles, you join the Lancashire family History Society, if only for one year. That will get your name and the names of your ancestors

in the quarterly magazine, and you can ally yourself to the Hyndburn ( Accrington branch). It may well be that there are some folk already interested in Brindles.

I will put money on the likelihood that Atarah will post summat very soon. She might recommend that you also post on 'Where are they now' ( see the forum)

Welcome to our cousins in foreign parts.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:40   #5
Senior Member+

China St.

Few photos for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg China Street 2009.jpg (391.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg China Street modern sign 2009.jpg (421.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Old Stone sign China Street.jpg (410.2 KB, 52 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 20:41   #6
Senior Member+

I have a Betty Brindle in my family history stuff. She married Ralph Yates at Immanuel Church in Oswaldtwistle in 1856. The 1881 census shows them living in China Street with six daughters and a son.

Hope this helps x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 21:02   #7

Thanks Bob and Atarah, very interesting
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 23:11   #8

Thank you all for the info and pictures of China Street.I love the old stone sign. My great, great grandfather lived there in the late 1800's. His name was George Brindle and his wife was Sarah Ann (Smith) Brindle. They came to Rhode Island. George Brindle had some brothers, James and Adam and a sister Elizabeth.

Juanetta, Your Betty and Ralph Yates had a daughter Ann Yates who married one of the above George's sons, William Henry Brindle. They too came to Rhode Island. They are buried in Brockton, Massachusetts.

Thanks all again
Pat
Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 00:17   #9
Senior Member+

Thank you Brindle. She was their third daughter who was eighteen and now I know why I lost track of her x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 17:59   #10
Always EVIL within us

See Deb, (countryluva) Told you that the Accywebbers would come up trumps, plenty there to get your teeth into
countryluva03813 likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 00:01   #11

Hi,

I came across your enquiry while filling in some blank spaces in my family tree.

My great-grandfather's sister, Jane was married to Thomas Brindle, son of George and Sarah Ann (nee Smith). This was a second marriage for both of them, as Thomas had previously married an Amelia, and been living in Rhode Island since about 1885.

Jane Chew was first married to John Sharples, who died sometime soon after their marriage in 1898, and she then married Thomas Brindle in 1934 in the Bolton Registration District of Lancashire. They left for Rhode Island 22 Sept 1934 on the "Georgic".

Thomas Brindle died 16 Nov 1950 in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island and Jane (or Jean as she was known to the family) returned to England in 1952.

Let me know if you need any help with the Smith side of the family, as I do have more information on them.

Kind regards,
Sally
Sally Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryluva03813 View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm knew to this forum (to most forums, actually, lol), so please excuse me if I didn't post this in the right place.

My great and/or great great grandparents were born on China St. in Accrington. Does anyone know why it was called that? I'm researching my ancestry on the Brindle family and would like as much info as I can get on where they came from. Thanks!!
hi, i am new to this as well. I went to Hyndburn park school with a Harry Brindle that was 1960. Unfortunately i was not a close friend . we all lost touch from each other when we left school in 1965, i am sure his family lived on China street. hope i have helped in any way. good luck with your search.
hazel street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48   #13

Thanks for replying, "hazel street". Since I posted to this forum, my family has found tons of info on our Brindle family, and I have moved on from the origin of the street name. Looking back at my post, it does seem a little silly to be curious about that. People have suggested that China Street, and other streets nearby, were named after the countries that shipped their goods to that area. I'm happy with that explanation, and moving on to more important ancestral info, lol. Thanks so much, though, for taking the time to write. And yes, I know what it's like to lose touch with friends from school. Perhaps you'll meet him again, one day. Thanks for responding!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel street View Post
hi, i am new to this as well. I went to Hyndburn park school with a Harry Brindle that was 1960. Unfortunately i was not a close friend . we all lost touch from each other when we left school in 1965, i am sure his family lived on China street. hope i have helped in any way. good luck with your search.
There was a Brindle family living on Blackburn Rd at the corner with Grimshaw St. Parents were Harry and Eileen, children Harry, Ann, Janet and Kenneth. Harry died aged about 10 years old. We children were told he fell off a wall and banged his head but I'm not sure how true that is. Ann became a nurse, I occasionally see Janet and Kenneth around.
JB x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:20   #15

Thanks for posting, jelly baby. How tragic about young Harry Brindle! If his sister became a nurse, it could have been true, and came about as a result of Harry's accident. Thanks for the info on the Brindles!
Deb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..