Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By talentedbutslow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2012, 19:28   #1

School photos

I see some school photos on here from time to time......but never for the right time and right school I went to.
Would be very interested to see any from Hannah St 1950-1951
Spring Hill 1951-1956 and Accy Grammar 1957-1961.
Are any of these schools still standing? I know Accy Grammar was demolished but what about the other two?

Tal
Soloman likes this.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2012, 19:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: School photos

I went to all the 3 schools but later. I started Hannah Street in 1954 and went on fron there. Spring Hill have moved to a new school off Exchange Street but I dont know if Hannah Street is still standing.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 19:48   #3
Senior Member+

AGS on Blackburn Rd moved to Moorhead in 1968 but was killed off in 75. I am mem sec for the Old Boys I haven't got a copy of any photos to offer you, though I am sure they exist and with a bit of luck I could obtain one BUT THE SENDING OF THEM IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITIES. (Blushes with shame) I will PM you on this.
I suggest you search for threads on the other two schools using the Search button above and post your appeal.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
I see some school photos on here from time to time......but never for the right time and right school I went to.
Would be very interested to see any from Hannah St 1950-1951
Spring Hill 1951-1956 and Accy Grammar 1957-1961.
Are any of these schools still standing? I know Accy Grammar was demolished but what about the other two?

Tal
You can always check on Google earth or BING maps to see if areas and buildings have changed or been demolished...accurate to a few years ago I would think......

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:44   #5

There are some photos for AGS and other schools on Friends Reunited (membership free).
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:25   #6

Hannah st school is still there and Spring hill school has been knocked down and re built across the rd.
hazel street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15   #7
Senior Member+

The Museum in the Arndale, Accrington, have a very good selection of school photos.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 14:35   #8
Senior Member+

If you PM me and let me have your email I can provide a number of AGS photos that were passed to me by an old classmate. They cover the period '50 - '55
Old 09-10-2014, 17:18   #9
Senior Member+

Fab Barrie. Will do.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 19:31   #10

I have the AGS school photo of April 1967. If anyone is interested PM your email.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:27   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The Museum in the Arndale, Accrington, have a very good selection of school photos.
The Museum in the Arndale has loads of photos and other very interesting items well worth a look if your in town and have not been in before and for those that have been in its worth another visit as they are always getting something new to put on display
oh and the staff are very helpful and will chat with you on any of the items on display
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:06   #12

Atarah, I sent you a reply to your PM, but not sure if it went OK on my phone. If the electronic copy is suitable please let me have your email.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..