Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2008, 09:16   #31
God Member

Re: local accents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Naughty, Naughty

Reedley is next to Burnley

For my sins I was born in Brierfield

Was a great place to be brought up in and now I live in Barrowford and reminds me of how Brierfield used to be where everybody knows each other and says "Hello" when passing

So I'm not sure if I am a Dingle?
Your'e as much of a Dingle as me

One side of my family are generations of Brierfielders. I used to go to school there and my daughter recently finished Reedley school.

We moved out 7 years ago, it was becoming unbearable. Totally agree with it being a great place to grow up years ago. Wouldn't bring a dog up there now though
Old 13-04-2008, 16:33   #32

I think accy people who live in the burnley road/huncoat district have a twang of burnley accent, and blackburn road district/church have a twang of blackburn accent. it dosent take albert einstein to work out that these areas majorities follow the team of there accent.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 17:02   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_was_A_red_ View Post
I think accy people who live in the burnley road/huncoat district have a twang of burnley accent, and blackburn road district/church have a twang of blackburn accent. it dosent take albert einstein to work out that these areas majorities follow the team of there accent.
I live nearer Blackburn Rd than Burnley Rd. Always an exception to the rule

Where do Stanley supporters live ?
Old 13-04-2008, 17:11   #34
God Member

I once stayed overnight on the border between France and Italy, and in the 'local' the natives spoke a mixture of French and Italian.

It seems that the phenomenon is common in countries with land borders, but we, being an island, don't have it.

It may have been like that here before the welsh and scottish languages became almost extinct

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 17:11   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I live nearer Blackburn Rd than Burnley Rd. Always an exception to the rule

Where do Stanley supporters live ?
I live in the far reaches/or outpost of the Dingle Empire

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 23:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
A friend I have in darwen who said I said Down and Town different to him... I don't know how to type the difference in sound though... just that he said the OW sound 'properly' lol. I notice the difference and it is definitely different in Accy to Darwen. Burnley accent is easy to spot I agree.

Apparently I have lost my prominent Accy accent, perhaps that is due to going to uni (?)
Aye down town is what denotes an Accy accent - lots of people at college picked me up on it.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Apparently I have lost my prominent Accy accent, perhaps that is due to going to uni (?)
I've been away from Padiham for the last 27 years, but I still slip back into the accent after a few days back home.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55   #38
Resident Waffler

I don't think I have an Accy accent. I'm a bit mixed up. Having spent a lot of time in Ireland I tend to slip into a bit Irish sounding if I'm talking to Irish people. And now of course living with a Southerner I pick up on some of that too - mind you he's learning to speak properly since he came up here.

Oh yes, you can definitely tell a Burnley or a Rossendale accent. Everyone I know from Burnley seems to speak v e r r e e s l o w l e e compared to people from Accy and Blackburn and say "Aah" instead of "I" as in "Aah w e nn t o ww t "

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:11   #39
Senior Member+

When I started work in the 50s, I went to Burnley and the men I worked with laughed at me saying I came on t'buzz every day. They went on t'buss. That isn't actually accent, just pronouncing a word differently. There are lots of these differences within Lancashire. Oldhamers drink wayter. Some folk don't go hooam, they go wom.
Wiganners/Boltonians introduce the word fer't into their sentences - Ah'm off down t'town fer do t'shopping' -Pure old English. Certainly I can tell an East Lancashire accent from one from elsewhere in the county, but I cannot tell the difference between Gt Harwood and Accy.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:44   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I don't think I have an Accy accent. I'm a bit mixed up. Having spent a lot of time in Ireland I tend to slip into a bit Irish sounding if I'm talking to Irish people. And now of course living with a Southerner I pick up on some of that too - mind you he's learning to speak properly since he came up here.

Oh yes, you can definitely tell a Burnley or a Rossendale accent. Everyone I know from Burnley seems to speak v e r r e e s l o w l e e compared to people from Accy and Blackburn and say "Aah" instead of "I" as in "Aah w e nn t o ww t "
I dont talk slowly, i jabber lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39   #41
God Member

Quote:
And now of course living with a Southerner I pick up on some of that too - mind you he's learning to speak properly since he came up here.
My heart goes out to you!
I too live with one of them!

Aint it hard work trying to get em to talk English
Old 11-06-2008, 15:00   #42
Resident Waffler

Does yours practice saying words like "saLLLt" instead of "sohwh" ?

Old 11-06-2008, 15:05   #43
God Member

Ha ha!

I get him to practise cAstle instead of caaaastle lol

He takes the mick out of me as much as I take it out of him

His parents are still in Essex so now they wind him up too saying that he is beginning to sound like a Northener
(He don't like that lol)
Old 11-06-2008, 15:09   #44
Resident Waffler

lol, sounds so familiar. We had family up from "dahn sahth" a few months ago and us northern lot had hysterics at them trying to buy a "boh ooow" of " cohwk"

Old 11-06-2008, 15:20   #45
God Member

Quote:
"boh ooow" of " cohwk"
Enlighten me!

Not even I know what that is lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..