Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 05:20   #1
God Member

local accents

It used to be when I was growing up you could tell a persons origins from their accent , I grew up in Great Harwood (part of Greater Hyndburn) and it was easy to tell the difference from someone who originated from say Blackburn , Burnley or Accrington , (not so easy for someone from outside the local area to notice but there was a difference and it was noted by the locals) I'm wondering if its the same today. Does Accrington still have it own "accent" ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2008, 10:43   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: local accents

theres a differece between Hyndburn and Rossendale, it became apparent to me when I lived and worked there for a few years
Old 10-04-2008, 17:11   #3
I am Banned

At 14 I left school and had to travel to Rising Bridge every day, for a few weeks, there was a different twang at every bus stop.

In the 1980's face ache an me were in Fife Scotland, went into a garden center in Cupar, and the chap who owned it said are you from Blackburn,
my reply after a few seconds choking, said neau, she is, I'm from ACCRINGTON.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 17:14   #4
Senior Member+

as someone who is not from accy i would say yes

the most noticable thing for me is 'the buzz'

i am catching the buzz.......eh?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 17:57   #5
God Member

Well i was born in burnley, raised in padiham and moved here when i got married 10 years ago, i noticed a big difference with the Accrington accent, main thing being it made us padihammers sound thick!!! lol luckily my kids have an accy accent and my padiham parents now take the mick out of them.!!!
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 21:57   #6
God Member

I was born in Blackburn, lived in Accy from when I was about 3/4 lived here til about 16, then moved to Burnley for a couple of yrs then moved back here and apparently one of the guys that comes in the shop says a have a right Burnley twang

They reckon I don't sound like I am from Accrington
Old 10-04-2008, 22:05   #7
God Member

There is definitely a difference in the accent of those from Burnley.....wayer, over thayer, on the stayers.

I can also tell if a person is from Blackburn or Darwen, they have their own slight accent
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11   #8
Senior Member+

I can tell someone whos from Blackburn or Accrington. And telling someone from Burnley is easy. I work in Rawtenstall and can now tell if someone comes from Rawtenstall or Bacup.

My Mum can sometimes tell if someone comes from Accrington or Oswaldtwistle. I'm not quite that good!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07   #9
Senior Member+

burnley folk ( dingles ) are from yorkshire
of course its a different accent

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:28   #10
Give, give, give member

I was always tuned in listening for local accents, for the seventeen years I lived in London.

Because people from here are so friendly, they never minded when I used to go up and ask them where they were from.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:35   #11
God Member

When I started playing Stronghold medieval war game, I noticed that the different type of soldier had been given different regional accents

eg Pikemen were Lancastrian, Archers were geordies, Macemen were Yorkies, Tunnelers were welsh etc. etc

I was on a gaming bulletin board then and when I pointed this out, the yanks said that they all sounded the same to them - only the english players had noticed the accents.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43   #12
Senior Member+

i dont notice the diferent accents, i only do when is like from scotland or ireland or wales or liverpool, accrington dont have an accent to me
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46   #13
God Member

So - you have to have one to know one

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 15:28   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
burnley folk ( dingles ) are from yorkshire
of course its a different accent
erm......since when was burnley in yorkshire?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 15:58   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
erm......since when was burnley in yorkshire?
Now i don`t live there but still work there i`m always winding them up saying its Yorkshire......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..