Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2004, 16:15   #1
Member.

Local Myths and Legends

Ok, so the monks of Church didn’t get beheaded by Cromwell, it’s just a childhood myth told to us “me” by our “my” grand parents. I think the romance and darkness of our childhood myths made our childhood much more interesting than the isolating environment of play station groupies of today.

What are your memories of local myths and legends of your childhood?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2004, 16:47   #2
Member.

Re: Local Myths and Legends

Take a look at this just to wake up those brain cell's. Anyone heard of any of these? http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/la...e/lancdata.php

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 07:13   #3
God Member

Ooooh SPOOKY. Any photographs or stories of wierd and unearthly goings on? I love a good ghost story.
Old 27-09-2004, 17:28   #4
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Ooooh SPOOKY. Any photographs or stories of wierd and unearthly goings on? I love a good ghost story.
have a look on church(new)
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 23:25   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Ok, so the monks of Church didn’t get beheaded by Cromwell, it’s just a childhood myth told to us “me” by our “my” grand parents. I think the romance and darkness of our childhood myths made our childhood much more interesting than the isolating environment of play station groupies of today.

Don't wan't to add insult to injury, but I will. There is no way Cromwell would have had any dealings with the monks of Church. The reason being that Henry the VIII of that name hung many of the monks of England when he disolved the monasteries and that was some several years before Cromwell's time.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:12   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

There's a lot of "blurring" with the history of the Middle Ages. The Bloody Assises/The Monmouth Rebellion and Judge Jeffries - the Hanging Judge. Beheadings, Hanging, Drawing and Quartering and all that grisly stuff prevalent at that time. Deportation if you were a lucky one.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:27   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Deportation if you were a lucky one.
We now play them at cricket every other year
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:00   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We now play them at cricket every other year
Or they dig up some obsure familial connection back to the motherland and come and play for us
Every other year Mr J ?? ..it's all year round now it seems
Old 28-02-2013, 09:17   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
There's a lot of "blurring" with the history of the Middle Ages. The Bloody Assises/The Monmouth Rebellion and Judge Jeffries - the Hanging Judge. Beheadings, Hanging, Drawing and Quartering and all that grisly stuff prevalent at that time. Deportation if you were a lucky one.
I doubt if any of that lot would get deported. Captain Cook wasn't mapping Oz for another hundred years.
Old 28-02-2013, 09:29   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I doubt if any of that lot would get deported. Captain Cook wasn't mapping Oz for another hundred years.
Not that everything you read on Wiki is factual but I go with this Mrs 123

Bloody Assizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Some 800–850 men were transported to the West Indies where they were worth more alive than dead as a source of cheap labour.(The novel Captain Blood, and the later movies based on it, graphically portray this punishment.) Others were imprisoned to await further trial, although many did not live long enough, succumbing to 'Gaol Fever' (Typhus), which was rife in the unsanitary conditions common to most English gaols at that time. A woman named Elisabeth Gaunt had the gruesome distinction of being the last woman burnt alive in England for political crimes"
Old 28-02-2013, 20:58   #11
I am Banned

Don't know if its of any interest but the descendants of these white people still live in some of the islands of the West Indies where I believe they are considered as a low class of person being as they are mostly poor. Talk about the sins of the fathers etc etc.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 21:45   #12
God Member

Quote:
Beheadings, Hanging, Drawing and Quartering and all that grisly stuff, eh .... sounds a lot like Sharia law ... I think the only reason they don't do the HDQ is that it involves three operations ... multi-tasking And because men, and men only, are in control, there ain't much multi-tasking happening.

But, there is no "blurring" with the history of the Middle Ages ... in fact, there are no Middle Ages; history tends to be kinda seamless. It's not like: "Listen up guys. A whole new way of doing things is gonna start tomorrow. The Middle Ages ends at midnight tonight, and the Renaissance will be starting up." The reason that we can't find all that much in the way of history for a few centuries is that "history" as we know it, is a fairly recent invention. Although much has been lost over the centuries, there is still a vast amount of documentation available. Trouble is, no one bothers to read it ... and not too many folks can read Medieval Clerical Latin.

And the Monmouth rebellion happened in the seventeenth century, which is a little late to be thought of as medieval. Even those who stubbornly refuse to quit breaking up history into silly units, see the end of the middle ages as happening around, let's say, 1485, when the ruler of England tried to sell the country for a year's supply of horse burgers.

In brief, you are talking through the wrong orifice.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 22:57   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Beheadings, Hanging, Drawing and Quartering and all that grisly stuff, eh .... sounds a lot like Sharia law ... I think the only reason they don't do the HDQ is that it involves three operations ... multi-tasking And because men, and men only, are in control, there ain't much multi-tasking happening.

But, there is no "blurring" with the history of the Middle Ages ... in fact, there are no Middle Ages; history tends to be kinda seamless. It's not like: "Listen up guys. A whole new way of doing things is gonna start tomorrow. The Middle Ages ends at midnight tonight, and the Renaissance will be starting up." The reason that we can't find all that much in the way of history for a few centuries is that "history" as we know it, is a fairly recent invention. Although much has been lost over the centuries, there is still a vast amount of documentation available. Trouble is, no one bothers to read it ... and not too many folks can read Medieval Clerical Latin.

And the Monmouth rebellion happened in the seventeenth century, which is a little late to be thought of as medieval. Even those who stubbornly refuse to quit breaking up history into silly units, see the end of the middle ages as happening around, let's say, 1485, when the ruler of England tried to sell the country for a year's supply of horse burgers.

Beautifully put Eric. You said all I wanted to say and more.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Phew Dr E you got there in the end.
Whilst I have been known to do the odd bottom burp* I am certainly no Joseph Puyol.
You of course being familiar with St Augustine’s De Civitate Dei ** , the medieval Braigetori of Ireland and the Japanese Oribe dancers of the Japanese Kamakura period (1185 – 1333) will know that speaking from the wrong hole is a big ask for most men.

* I can still do that sniggery schoolboy trump noise in my sweaty armpit though, my years at Accy Tech were not all in vain. The carbolic soap in the showers at the old Baths seemed to help with the harmonics and hum. Hey, but the 60’s were a blur to me, so it could have been the East Lancashire Soap Company’s famous floating soap.
** True written in the 1st century AD but gone through enough iterations to qualify as Medieval Latin.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Not that everything you read on Wiki is factual but I go with this Mrs 123
Quote:
Phew Dr E you got there in the end.
If you're going to give Eric his correct title then would you be kind enough to afford me the same privilege? I am Dr S or Miss whatever, I have never been a Mrs. But Sue or Susie is so much easier and less likely to get my back up with your pomposity and pseudo-politeness.
Eric likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..