Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2005, 14:30   #16
God Member

Re: Old Fire Station

I would bid for it if they throw a few firemen in for good measure!!
Old 31-01-2005, 15:52   #17
God Member

Talking Re: Old Fire Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
What we need to find is someone who was around during the war and ideally before 1932, trouble is that as time passes there are fewer and fewer of them about.
(could always ask at work, I work in a nursing home, they will probably know!! specialy the eldest lady there who is 103 years old
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 23:33   #18
IMY

yeh the good thing about this place is that it would make a great bar/club for some city investor as it is cheap considering the type of prices you would expect to pay for something of that size and location.........
IMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:27   #19
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
(could always ask at work, I work in a nursing home, they will probably know!! specialy the eldest lady there who is 103 years old
Good idea Slinky. Let us know if anyone remembers it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 13:27   #20
God Member

I will willow, I am back in work tomorrow I will ask some of them and see if they remember
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 23:07   #21
I am Banned

The old Fire Station was behind the old market.

The New Fire Station was built in 1934 and officially opened in May 1935. I used to watch them drill in the fire station yard during the war. The air raid siren was on the top of the south corner of the fire station over looking the drill yard. The bell belonging to the old fire station which is on the North East corner at the rear of the market hall was never used for air raid warnings.
As for some of the suggestions as to the usage of the station in Manchester Rd, there are NO firemens poles in the building. the only one I ever saw was in Darwens old fire station.
Does that answer your questions.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 23:13   #22
mez
God Member

I heard a rumour off a very good source to-day as to who has bought the fire station shh witherspoons shh keep it under yer hat guys & gals? any one any comments on it becomming a pub?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..