Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2009, 15:01   #1
Senior Member+

Oswaldtwistle War Memorial

Hi, just been past the memorial by the old Shopfitters building. The council are there, looks like they could be putting the extra names up - as promised.

maybe someone could nip round and if so, take a photograph???

Just off to Manc now.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2009, 15:06   #2
God Member

Re: Oswaldtwistle War Memorial

I had a leaflet pushed through my door today inviting me to attend the re-dedication ceremony on 27th June at 11.30am and details road closures between 10.30 and 12.30

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 15:29   #3
God Member

I'm working with a couple of artists and all the local schools this week to create banner artwork for the procession.

The procession starts at Brookside Street at 11.10am and walks along Union Rd to the war memorial by 11.30 for the rededication service.

The workers were there all over the weekend, both Sat and Sun, to get the sign/names up.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 15:51   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

So is the list of names up now?

It still looked covered up with supports this morning
Old 02-07-2009, 21:24   #5
God Member

Have people been to see this yet?

I'd especially like to hear your views on it Retlaw - how accurate is it all?

Old 02-07-2009, 22:13   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

I've seen it. I thought that the names were going on the war memorial but they're on a separate thing just behind it, aren't they? I wonder why this was.
Old 02-07-2009, 22:20   #7
I am Banned

Quote:

Not been to see it, but if they used the list compiled in 1922, which had many inaccuracies, and their additions which were availabe to download a few weeks ago 390 names, which included two men who survived, then its still wrong. I they want to keep all the 1922 list and their findings, then they are still 20 odd names short of the number I found.

If the plaques are made of bronze as in the Observer article, some body will have them for scrap before long.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:44   #8
God Member

I was appalled by the Accrington Observer this morning - they hadn't put anything about the parade in this morning's issue. I know that a photographer was there because I saw him!

They haven't covered any of the Armed Forces parades/events and there were at least three in Hyndburn that I knew about!

Very sloppy reporting if they can't even be bothered to include such big events.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:46   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Not been to see it, but if they used the list compiled in 1922, which had many inaccuracies, and their additions which were availabe to download a few weeks ago 390 names, which included two men who survived, then its still wrong. I they want to keep all the 1922 list and their findings, then they are still 20 odd names short of the number I found.

Retlaw
That's why I wondered if you'd been to see it to see how accurate it was. The first thing I did was look for the name Drummond to see if it said Drummond or Drunnond and it was spelt correctly, so they've obviously done some work on the list since.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:52   #10
Beacon of light

I suppose if the Observer was a truly local paper, it would have had full reports, but now it is part of a large printing conglomerate I don't suppose we should be surprised.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 14:10   #11
I am Banned

Quote:

Just been up today.
Its just as I expected, there are now 397 names, the first list had 390 names.
Checked the first column there are 46 names per column.
From Ablett J. to Buckley J., the are eleven names without the 2nd initial.
George Booth the man who survived is still on.
Ada Broughton who never lived in Ossy is still on

Then on the 2nd column is Campbel H. Another error, His name was Henry Campbell WHITTAKER.

This is what you get when amateurs play at research, believing they know all.

It took many years for me to aquire the knowledge and information I now have.

If my list had been on the shelf in Accrington Library with Bill Turners name on it, it would have been accepted without question.

I could go on, but I might say something I should'nt

Retlaw.
Old 03-07-2009, 14:32   #12
I am Banned

Further to the errors on the Oswaldtwistle Memorial.

Campbell H. is also on the list under his correct name as H. WHITTAKER. So he's on twice.

BUT to cap it all thev'e missed William LOWTHER, an Accrington Pal, killed in action July 1st 1916, during the battle of the Somme. He is on Knuzdens Memorial, and before anyone starts, the others on Knuzden's Memorial that are included on the New Ossy one.

Retlaw.
Old 03-07-2009, 16:29   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I suppose if the Observer was a truly local paper, it would have had full reports, but now it is part of a large printing conglomerate I don't suppose we should be surprised.
Ya but we got a hell of a write up on a pub in Helmshore Margaret, no doubt we'll get one about a pub in Marple next week
Old 03-07-2009, 17:00   #14
Resting in Peace

Looking at the Observer this week, yes, do think they could have made room for an article on this event. Seems to me has been a commercial decision.

Not sure how they lay out the paper for printing, but looks like they print 2 on across making four pages in all. They appear to do in multiples of 4, however, could be incorrect re. this, but sure you understand what I am trying to say.
They could have done a page on this, but would mean finding enough adverts/news stories for the other 3.

Ok, we have lots of photographs for the Baby competition and the Proms from two schools. Not objecting to these at all, but an editor thinking of commercial value, would sell more papers (and more photographs) for these articles rather than a dedication to a refurbished war memorial. Sad.

To be fair, they have done a full page on the inquest of Pte Jason Rawstron from Clayton killed in Afghanistan, and a half page on the Pals 1st July commemoration.

Passed yesterday, and there must have been around 20 Rhyddings school children clambering all over it. Not saying they were doing any harm, and is very tempting to sit there and gather. At least some were reading the wreaths and plaque.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15   #15
I am Banned

Attached is panel 1 of the new memorial, which has NINE errors on it. I've also included how the panel should have looked.
It won't be long before the harrogate tripe dresser is on here, been quiet for a month.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oswaldtwistle. .1a.JPG (77.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Oswaldtwistle.. 1a.JPG (79.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-07-2009 at 11:19.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..