Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 15:52   #16
Senior Member+

Plantation Mill

Hi, are you talking about Plantation Mill, or wondering if there was something else in the field on the right hand side?

This mill closed way back in 1934. The cobbles or "setts" that you walk on up there were actually made as a path to the mill. There once were remains of reservoirs, wonder if this is the "lodge" you mention The pensioners cottages at the top of Plantation street are built on the site of Plantation Mill Square, which was workers houses for the mill.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2007, 17:07   #17
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Plantation Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, are you talking about Plantation Mill, or wondering if there was something else in the field on the right hand side?
Its the field between Owl Hall and Plantation Cottage, in the old maps it says Plantation House, no mention of it being a mill.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 00:15   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

This mill closed way back in 1934. The cobbles or "setts" that you walk on up there were actually made as a path to the mill. There once were remains of reservoirs, wonder if this is the "lodge" you mention The pensioners cottages at the top of Plantation street are built on the site of Plantation Mill Square, which was workers houses for the mill.
I dont know what it was called, I have always known it as plantation mill, I believe there was once a lodge there. there are a few structure, bases up there, dont know if some of these are old huts. it would of covered a big area though.

Some is/was made out of Accrington Brick Nori.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Its the field between Owl Hall and Plantation Cottage, in the old maps it says Plantation House, no mention of it being a mill.
Thats the place, you wouldnt know unless you made you way to the back of the field.

Flash Earth Link
Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash
Old 25-09-2007, 20:40   #19

Here´s a few pics of the area. approx 1892, 1960 and now.

I got the pics from here

Lancashire County Council - MARIO - Maps And Related Information Online

It´s brilliant for investigating stuff like this.

What is interesting is the area just south of Plantation St. The 1960 shot clearly shows that something was here but the 1892 map shows nothing. Looks a bit like a walled garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1892.jpg (208.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 1960.jpg (284.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg now.jpg (317.6 KB, 33 views)
jimboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 05:54   #20
Resident Waffler

What an odd location for a walled garden.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 06:52   #21
Resident Waffler

Here's a more recent image where it is barely visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlantationRoad.jpg (108.9 KB, 24 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 10:09   #22
Senior Member+

If I remember my further research made me come to the conclusion it was used as a land fill site.

There must of been a house there as the structure is still part visable.

There are 2 Boundary walls.
Old 26-09-2007, 12:46   #23
Resting In Peace

On the 1960 map I think the white area at the right of the picture is the old Plantation Mill site, it was used as a landfill site in the 60's. All the dustbin wagons used to drive up the side of Arden Hall and dump the rubbish at the top.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:55   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
On the 1960 map I think the white area at the right of the picture is the old Plantation Mill site, it was used as a landfill site in the 60's. All the dustbin wagons used to drive up the side of Arden Hall and dump the rubbish at the top.
Thats the conclusion I came to but wasnt sure. Thanks for the info.
Old 14-02-2013, 12:43   #25
Junior Member+

Hi,

I am trying to find out what was on Plantation Square and Road (where the bungalows are now), i have done a little research and found out that workers houses were there before and they were for the workers of the mill and it was called Plantation Mill Square, but i need to know before then, I have found out that St Pauls church was knocked down and rebuilt, does anyone know if it had a graveyard years before? looking on the ordance survey map for 1947 it looks like a field. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
lynxkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..