Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2007, 14:11   #1
Senior Member+

Plantation Mill

Had a wander up there today and saw plenty of evidence to support a building of some description up there.

The are I am talking about os Arden Hall, up the cobble path as you pass the Coach House & old Owl Hall Enterance its the field on the right, there used to be a lodge there also I believe.

Couldnt seem to see anything on the old maps web site.

Anyone any ideas what was up there.

Took a few Pics.

There was one across form this one so would presume a door way

Pillar that would of been on top

Anyone

Pretty big wall for the middle of a field.

Old 25-07-2007, 18:35   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Plantation Mill

I used to play up there a lot as a child. I'm sure we've had a thread on this once. It may take some hunting for thought. There was a sort of manor house I know that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 19:11   #3
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I used to play up there a lot as a child. I'm sure we've had a thread on this once. It may take some hunting for thought. There was a sort of manor house I know that.
This is the thread but Willow what happened to you wanting to live there.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ouse-3300.html

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...all-31326.html

Quote:
I have a photo of Owl Hall somewhere but it looks like you've got at least one by now. I used to love this house when I was a child and always wanted to live there.
Quote:
I used to want to live there when I was a child. I hope he revamps it sympathetically. No, I hadn't heard anything about who it is who has it or may be buying it.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 25-07-2007 at 19:13.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 11:34   #4
Senior Member+

Not owl Hall.

More nearer the other building further up.
Old 26-07-2007, 11:57   #5
Senior Member+

didnt it used to be a small scale resivour for the local houses

i know in the last years before it got drained it had loads of goldfish in
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 12:37   #6
God Member

I knew a man who used to walk his dog there until one evening both he and his dog were spooked by the noise of horse hooves on cobbles when there were no horses in sight - haunted?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 16:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
didnt it used to be a small scale resivour for the local houses

i know in the last years before it got drained it had loads of goldfish in
You are thinking of plantation mill lodgenext to the slate pits), the one Mr| D is on about is facing the entrance to the coach house entrance, you can also see it from where the cottage gates are. BTW it was drained more than the 20 yrs I've been going up that way.

That is the one init Mr D?

Last edited by spud; 26-07-2007 at 16:25. Reason: missed a bit!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 20:46   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
You are thinking of plantation mill lodgenext to the slate pits), the one Mr| D is on about is facing the entrance to the coach house entrance, you can also see it from where the cottage gates are. BTW it was drained more than the 20 yrs I've been going up that way.

That is the one init Mr D?
Yes thats the place.

Looks like the was some size to it, or a few buildings.

Seems no one is sure what was once there.
Old 28-07-2007, 00:28   #9
Senior Member+

Last time I was up there both Arden House and Owl hall were still there. Have they gone now? The only lodges were quite a way past both houses at the end of the road. I think there were two lodges and a reservoir, spent lots of time up there as I lived on Plantation St then. There was also a lodge behind Broad Oak mill and a football field too, we played there for hours every sunday afternoon.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 02:18   #10
Full Member+

Have the Hyndburn & Accy A.C lost the fishing rites then ? Haven't been a member for a few years ! What about the Slate pits? They still owned by the club ?? Any line wetting members please let me know !!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 16:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Have the Hyndburn & Accy A.C lost the fishing rites then ? Haven't been a member for a few years ! What about the Slate pits? They still owned by the club ?? Any line wetting members please let me know !!!

Yeah H&B.Burn A.A. still have the rights to the slate pits but they have been vandalised with canadian pond weed that's caused havoc on all 3 of them.

I was told by someone in the know that it was done by a local fisherman school teacher with curly hair and name begining with R.

Needless to say he hasn't re-newed his membership since!

And btw, I do a bit myself when I've time.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 17:50   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Last time I was up there both Arden House and Owl hall were still there. Have they gone now? The only lodges were quite a way past both houses at the end of the road. I think there were two lodges and a reservoir, spent lots of time up there as I lived on Plantation St then. There was also a lodge behind Broad Oak mill and a football field too, we played there for hours every sunday afternoon.
Yes there are both still there.

What I was wondering is what was next to owl hall, it the adjacent field, there is evidence that a building of some description was once there.
Old 28-07-2007, 20:29   #13
Accy Red

After checking it out for myself it was where a building called Plantation House use to stand.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 31-07-2007, 16:17   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
After checking it out for myself it was where a building called Plantation House use to stand.
Thankyou.

Anymore information on this house? Useage, when demolished ect would be great.
Old 31-07-2007, 18:16   #15
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Thankyou.

Anymore information on this house? Useage, when demolished ect would be great.
I posted this link earlier in this thread have you been through it there is some info, I don't know much more.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ouse-3300.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..