Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2009, 18:19   #46
I am Banned

Re: Pubs in old & new acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Er I bet to differ on "Good Ale tomorrow for Nothing" - I KNOW it was on the corner of Warner Street and Church Street!
Good Ale Tomorrow was in Warner St on the corner with Duke St, the landlord was Edward Croasdale.
In 1869 his licence renewal to sell ale & spirits was refused.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2009, 18:32   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Following details from "Accrington as it was" by Brian Ashton. Photos from Accy Library.

"Good Ale Tomorrow for Nothing" - so said the sign over the beerhouse that stood on the corner of Church Street and Warner Street, known years ago as Britcliffe's Corner. Tomorrow, like free ale, never came. The black and white photo on the R.H. side shows the site of the beerhouse.

"coloured photo showing the premises being altered to make way for a restaurant".

So, have I won on this one Retlaw?
That property is the one I photographed the basement about 3 years ago. I was a cellar dwelling as shown on the 1848 street plan.
There was nothing in that basement to indicate it was ever other than a dwelling.

The people next door wouldn't let me photo theirs, and that one had been a cellar dwelling in the past.
The other photo, where does it show a beer house.

This is not the Good Ale pub site.
Retlaw.
Old 19-11-2009, 19:04   #48
Resting in Peace

Yes Ancestry is free on the library computers, but keep off No 3 that ones reserved for me

Ah, that would be the one covered in Bull pooh then ..

An image is coming to me of a street .. possibly beginning with 'K' ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 20:24   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes Ancestry is free on the library computers, but keep off No 3 that ones reserved for me

Ah, that would be the one covered in Bull pooh then ..

What have you been doing to my computer, I told you to leave it alone, any poo on it and its come from you, and it will be sheep poo. Baa

An image is coming to me of a street .. possibly beginning with 'K' ?
Been using your feminine wiles on somebody, you've never found that yourself.
You still have'nt attempted the others in the list, too much for you is it.
Retlaw.
Old 19-11-2009, 21:27   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Been using your feminine wiles on somebody, you've never found that yourself.

It's my spirit guide .. bacardi usually ...

You still have'nt attempted the others in the list, too much for you is it.
Retlaw.
Too much ? Yes, at the moment; one at a time, am working on the next one .. not into pub crawls. (I lie of course)
Old 20-11-2009, 17:55   #51
Senior Member+

I am still convinced you are WRONG about there having been a pub on the corner of Warner Street and Duke Street. I agree there was once a LODGING HOUSE on that corner, but not a beerhouse. Would you please let Accywebbers have your proof? The only proof I can offer is paperwork in Accrington Library which states - "Church Street was first opened out in 1815. The portion of the corner of Warner Street was formerly a beerhouse that went by the name of "Good Ale tomorrow for Nothing" - needless to say tomorrow never comes. The premises have long associations with the Britcliffe's family, and became well known as Britcliffe's Corner".
And that is good enough for me!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 19:27   #52
Senior Member+

Without commenting on whether Walter is right or wrong as to the wherabouts of pubs, I do feel that he is being childish in first of all setting these questions in a way which suggests "I know but won't tell you" He has had ample opportunity on the forum in the past few years of giving a complete list of pubs and their locations , but has chosen not to, keeping the information for himself. He has an extensive knowledge of old Accrington but in the main, keeps it to himself. I have to say that whenever I have asked him a question, he has come up with an answer from his secret files but often gives the impression that he knows and nobody else knows owt. I feel annoyed too with his treatment of and attitude towards other members ,though I know that he can be civil and decent too. I felt really bad towards him when he posted four words which when read 'last-first' were not the language that decent people, especially ladies, want to read/hear on the site. I am annoyed with myself that I did not ask the webmaster to remove the posting.

Walter - prepare a full list of pubs & locations, post it on this site and give a copy to the library for the use of future readers. Your list of farmsteads which is in the library is an example of the good work you do. It will be a memorial to you. Without it, Accrington's pub&club history will go largely unrecorded.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 19:44   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
I am still convinced you are WRONG about there having been a pub on the corner of Warner Street and Duke Street. I agree there was once a LODGING HOUSE on that corner, but not a beerhouse. Would you please let Accywebbers have your proof? The only proof I can offer is paperwork in Accrington Library which states - "Church Street was first opened out in 1815. The portion of the corner of Warner Street was formerly a beerhouse that went by the name of "Good Ale tomorrow for Nothing" - needless to say tomorrow never comes. The premises have long associations with the Britcliffe's family, and became well known as Britcliffe's Corner".
And that is good enough for me!

I found it in an 1869 newspaper, when Edward Lonsdale had his licence refused.

Retlaw.
Old 20-11-2009, 19:57   #54
Senior Member+

er, so, it just happened to mention that the pub was - according to you - on the corner of Church Street and Duke Street?????
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 20:19   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Without commenting on whether Walter is right or wrong as to the wherabouts of pubs, I do feel that he is being childish in first of all setting these questions in a way which suggests "I know but won't tell you" Don't talk daft when have I refused to answer a query, its just as nobody seem to have the nous to ask the right questions.

He has had ample opportunity on the forum in the past few years of giving a complete list of pubs and their locations , but has chosen not to, keeping the information for himself.
I do this research because I want to, not for any gain or kudos, publishing, printing or posting to the web would be expensive.
The computer where all this info is stored is not connected to the internet, and never will be, that way it can't be contaminated, as for printing it out and putting it in the library, that would take about 5 reams of paper, yes 5 reams. any way if its not believed on Accy web, would putting it in Accy Library make it any more credible.

He has an extensive knowledge of old Accrington but in the main, keeps it to himself.
You know dammed well I'm a loner, always have been, and don't know many people with the same interests as myself.

I have to say that whenever I have asked him a question, he has come up with an answer from his secret files but often gives the impression that he knows and nobody else knows owt.
I do know, and any impression that nobody else knows owt has shown itself by the responces on Accy Web, there's only a handful seem to know owt or even interested.
I feel annoyed too with his treatment of and attitude towards other members ,though I know that he can be civil and decent too. I felt really bad towards him when he posted four words which when read 'last-first' were not the language that decent people, especially ladies, want to read/hear on the site. I am annoyed with myself that I did not ask the webmaster to remove the posting.

Walter - prepare a full list of pubs & locations, post it on this site and give a copy to the library for the use of future readers. So every one has a free copy to wave about like Chamberlain's Peace in our time. It WON'T WORK in windoze, only in DOS, some people have never even heard of DOS.

Your list of farmsteads which is in the library is an example of the good work you do. It will be a memorial to you. Without it, Accrington's pub&club history will go largely unrecorded.
As I've already said, it is in another computer and that one runs under DOS, not windoze, and the DOS files get scrambled if you try to transfer them to any modern word processor, even as RTF files,
then why should I, I'm quite happy with the way the files are.
I've enough work to do continuing Bill Turner's research on the Accrington Pals, and my on research into Accrington's WW1 soldiers, for all this hassle.
So lets forget all the puzzles and questions and let me get on with what I'm doing.

Retlaw.

Old 20-11-2009, 20:52   #56

The Borough Arms was certainy practically opposite Warner Street. A very long time ago it was the only pub that would serve us underaged drinkers in the interval from the
dance at the ritz. I couldn't go in the Bridge Inn 'caus emy dad would be in there
Incidentally it was where Titty Bette plied her trade..
Bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 21:10   #57

Hello Boys,
Tut tut all that animosity. Just come back from a weekend in Accrington after 4 years and was devastated with the plight of the few existing pubs.Went for lunch in the Warners but found it was closed [Saturday]. Finished up in the Commercial [don't know what it is called now] practically the only three of us in there
The Volunteer?Was that the one opposite the baths on the corner?
This Dobo. Is he a relation of mine? Identify yourself.
Bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 21:24   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowler View Post
The Borough Arms
Incidentally it was where Titty Bette plied her trade..
in later days, commercial, spread eagle, also.
Old 20-11-2009, 21:30   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
So lets forget all the puzzles and questions and let me get on with what I'm doing.

Retlaw.
Dear Lurch (our secret name for him.. )

Don't you dare ****** off without giving me the answer to 'Clay Inn' and 'Bull's Head' !!

I will bug you, haunt you, even enter the storeroom at the library to demand an answer .. there is no escape !!

Yours Joan (the Bitch) Collins. (his secret name for me)
Old 20-11-2009, 21:34   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
in later days, commercial, spread eagle, also.
Thought the Commercial became the Regency Cashy ..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..