Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Tuberculosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
my grandparents and my Dad were 'pure' Blackburner's/Little Arroders , and Park Lee was allways referred to as the Isolation/Fever hospital , bit like Queens Park Hosp. was allways known as the workhouse ......remember as a kid going up to Queens Park Hosp. from the Darwen St bridge area , there used/maybe still is ... a big stone wall on the left hand side where they used to say folks used to hide their stuff before going to the workhouse , the place had the reputation amongst the older folks that if you were in an Ambulance and it was heading for Queens Park your days were numbered and if it was headed to the Infirmary there was a good chance of recovery (true) ..... should mention this was during the 50s , hopefully things have improved

bit of a wander , but kind of related ... there is a Church yard near Guide near to where Beechwood gardens used to be where the penniless dead and unknown from the workhouse were buried (nearest cemetry to QPH in those days I guess

Cashy , still waiting for you to tell me where Withnell is (geograpic location /nearest town)
There ya go SJ

Withnell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-06-2011, 14:39   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thanks Jaysay , never heard of the place and only 5 mile from Blackburn
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 17:45   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Thanks Jaysay , never heard of the place and only 5 mile from Blackburn
I was actually lucky they shut the place about 2 years after I moved back to Ossy in 1986, when it closed it was the critical care unit for chest patients, I was admitted to the new version at Queens Park in 1988, phew was I lucky or should I say my relatives who would have had to travel to visit, it was a bitch of a place to get to if you had no transport
Old 07-06-2011, 15:24   #19
God Member

Changing the disease slightly, can any of you lot recall the dysentry outbreak in Accy sometime in the mid-1950's? I'm far too young to have been around at the time and was told about it by a medical historian about 10 years ago. I know it's normally a disease associated with the aftermath of third world floods and earthquakes but I doubt if Hyndburn was then third world (although some parts like Ossy now are).

Last edited by Tealeaf; 07-06-2011 at 15:26.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:51   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Changing the disease slightly, can any of you lot recall the dysentry outbreak in Accy sometime in the mid-1950's? I'm far too young to have been around at the time and was told about it by a medical historian about 10 years ago. I know it's normally a disease associated with the aftermath of third world floods and earthquakes but I doubt if Hyndburn was then third world (although some parts like Ossy now are).
What about Ossy's poor neighbour Church
Old 07-06-2011, 18:02   #21
God Member

Quote:
Found a PDF (googled) -Accy mentioned in 3rd para down on the left - 1955
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...03227-0077.pdf

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:24   #22
God Member

Cheers M, - although at the time I got the impression that this was a much larger outbreak and possibly later and isolated around Accy. It all seems now like a variation on E-Coli, although I doubt if at the time we were eating many of Johnny Dago's dodgy cucumbers or Heinrich Heinz's mean bean sprouts..

The same guy also told me a story about a mad dog rabies attack in Accy sometime in the late 19C - gruesome stuff, with kids having fingers and noses bitten off and ending up in the Pasteur Institute in Paris.

Anyone know about that tale?

Apparently the dogs name was Britcliffe.
Old 07-06-2011, 18:33   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
sometime in the mid-1950's? I'm far too young to have been around at the time.
Who are you trying to kid?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:41   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Who are you trying to kid?
I can only tell the truth.
Old 07-06-2011, 18:44   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I can only tell the truth.
Telling the truth and coming from Church don't site well
Old 07-06-2011, 18:55   #26

Quote:
Cheers M, - although at the time I got the impression that this was a much larger outbreak and possibly later and isolated around Accy. It all seems now like a variation on E-Coli, although I doubt if at the time we were eating many of Johnny Dago's dodgy cucumbers or Heinrich Heinz's mean bean sprouts..

The same guy also told me a story about a mad dog rabies attack in Accy sometime in the late 19C - gruesome stuff, with kids having fingers and noses bitten off and ending up in the Pasteur Institute in Paris.

Anyone know about that tale?

Apparently the dogs name was Britcliffe.
The reports on the dog attack appeared in the newspapers in October/November 1894.

PATIENTS FOR THE PASTEUR INSTITUTE>

Six persons, a married woman and five boys bitten by a mad dog left Accrington yesterday for the Pasteur Institute. One of the boys had two fingers bitten off and another had his nose almost severed.
A third had his thigh badly lacerated.

They were sent by public subscription and a Rabies order was put in place in Accrington.

Later newspaper reports say that one of the boys died whilst there and was buried in Paris

No mention of the Dogs Name
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 19:14   #27
God Member

And there was even more gruesome stuff to follow (if I remember correctly):

Apparently, back in the 1920/30's - prior to the advent of the NHS - the Borough appointed a new District Health Officer. One of the first things he did was to check the local mortality stats and operations stats.

It turned out that our local surgeons were well into child butchery. Nationally, some 5% of kids had their tonsils removed...in Accy, the figure was 50%.

A bit of a scandal at the time.

I wish I could recall a little more from what I was told.
Old 07-06-2011, 19:24   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
They were sent by public subscription and a Rabies order was put in place in Accrington.

Later newspaper reports say that one of the boys died whilst there and was buried in Paris

No mention of the Dogs Name

And that, boys and girls, is surely a tale for our local historians.

Come on down Dobbo & Retlaw - and maybe Anzac!
Old 07-06-2011, 19:31   #29

Anyone can read about this story in the online newspapers - all you need is a current library card.

It was covered by the Blackburn Times which is online and a fascinating source of local information and stories about people in the 1800's.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 19:49   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Anyone can read about this story in the online newspapers - all you need is a current library card.

It was covered by the Blackburn Times which is online and a fascinating source of local information and stories about people in the 1800's.
I'm quite sure they can and they no doubt they can read from other sources as well. But surely they have to know what they're looking for in the first place?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..