Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 00:57   #1
Junior Member+

Tuberculosis

Hello everyone. Can you can you local history buffs shed any light on how the town dealt with TB in the early 1900's/late 1800's? I am an avid family history researcher and one section of my family from wayyyy back lost two sons and two daughters (in their twenties) to TB within a four year span, one after the other. One of those was married, but census shows her having moved out of the marital home and into a lodging house. I wonder if it was to protect her family ? The adress of the lodging house was Stonefold Haslingden.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2011, 08:25   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Tuberculosis

Queens Park Hospital was a TB sanatorium at one time, in recent years TB was treated at Withnell Hospital near Chorley, it closed in about 1988 when all staff were transferred to a new chest ward at Queens Park Ward "E". TB was virtually eradicated in this country, but has become prevalent again due to mass immigration from countries which still have big problems with the disease
Old 05-06-2011, 14:24   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Hello everyone. Can you can you local history buffs shed any light on how the town dealt with TB in the early 1900's/late 1800's? I am an avid family history researcher and one section of my family from wayyyy back lost two sons and two daughters (in their twenties) to TB within a four year span, one after the other. One of those was married, but census shows her having moved out of the marital home and into a lodging house. I wonder if it was to protect her family ? The adress of the lodging house was Stonefold Haslingden.
Hundreds if not thousnads of soldiers contracted T.B., during the first World war, caused by conditions in the trenches, most of their service records show P.U.O., as the first entry, usually at a C.C.S., their first hospital diagnosis would then identify it as either T.B., Bronchitis, or Influenza, and send them to the appropriate hospital for treatment.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 14:39   #4
God Member

My mother's younger brother had a wife who died from TB in the 1940s
I was very young at the time and my only memory of her was my standing at her bedroom door and not being allowed to go in.
She was laid in bed at the far end of the room.

I do not recall the 'grown-ups' talking of her hospitalisation.
I think she just lived in isolation at home.
It could well have been before the NHS - ie. pre 1948

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-06-2011 at 14:41.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 15:35   #5
Resting in Peace

My granddaughter was tested for T.B. last year after one of her Uni. friends was diagnosed with it. Luckily, she was ok.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 16:23   #6
Beacon of light

Would she not have been tested/ vaccinated against it when she started her training?
I know we were all tested to see if we had immunity and if you hadn't, you were vaccinated.
I was lucky I had built up my own immunity...though I cannot remember being in contact with anyone who had, or had been treated for TB.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 17:40   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Would she not have been tested/ vaccinated against it when she started her training?
I know we were all tested to see if we had immunity and if you hadn't, you were vaccinated.
I was lucky I had built up my own immunity...though I cannot remember being in contact with anyone who had, or had been treated for TB.

Think you are getting confused with my daughter, Margaret, who is the nurse.
The programme for T.B. innoculation was ceased some years ago, so my granddaughter and many of her contempories, never had the benefit of this protection.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 18:02   #8
Beacon of light

sorry Kate, my mistake......misread.....duh!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 20:39   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

me dad had it mid 60s, was taken to Withnell Hospital, me along wi all family n friends who had been in contact wi him had to tested. was hard work at the time, cos me mam was in accy vic wi summat else, so had to look after the younger siblings, to school n feed the greedy pigs etc, was not a great time.
Old 05-06-2011, 21:15   #10
God Member

Thought Park Lee in Blackburn was the local "isolation hospital" , Withnall is a new one on me , wheres it located
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 21:22   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Thought Park Lee in Blackburn was the local "isolation hospital" , Withnall is a new one on me , wheres it located
it was in Withnell steely, was a pig to get too on the bus, that i do remember. think its long closed now?
Old 05-06-2011, 21:26   #12
God Member

pre 1948 tb isolation The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details
Old 05-06-2011, 21:52   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
yep ,thanks thats the one I was thinking of
Old 05-06-2011, 21:59   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
yep ,thanks thats the one I was thinking of
how did yeh remember that un? i couldn't.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:25   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
how did yeh remember that un? i couldn't.
my grandparents and my Dad were 'pure' Blackburner's/Little Arroders , and Park Lee was allways referred to as the Isolation/Fever hospital , bit like Queens Park Hosp. was allways known as the workhouse ......remember as a kid going up to Queens Park Hosp. from the Darwen St bridge area , there used/maybe still is ... a big stone wall on the left hand side where they used to say folks used to hide their stuff before going to the workhouse , the place had the reputation amongst the older folks that if you were in an Ambulance and it was heading for Queens Park your days were numbered and if it was headed to the Infirmary there was a good chance of recovery (true) ..... should mention this was during the 50s , hopefully things have improved

bit of a wander , but kind of related ... there is a Church yard near Guide near to where Beechwood gardens used to be where the penniless dead and unknown from the workhouse were buried (nearest cemetry to QPH in those days I guess

Cashy , still waiting for you to tell me where Withnell is (geograpic location /nearest town)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..