Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 05:19   #16

Re: Turkey Red Dye Works Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlersparker
I would like to thank everyone for all the help on Turkey Red dye works, it has all been a great help.

Thanks Wendy
Please check your PM -- I did use the Email address you gave me ( have carefully checked this ) but the message has bounced back.

I need an Email address if anyone else wants the photo -- Doug--note previous posting.

Finally, I am waiting for a reply frpm Apest1 -- I think the scrapyard is on the site of the old Alliance Mill.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2007, 11:30   #17

Just a small note, my 2nd great grand uncle Henry Barnes, was a partner in the Turkey Red Dye Works in Baxenden during the 1880s till his death in 1891. He mentions his shares being passed on to his partners Kearns and Allen in his Will. Just a little bit of local trivia.
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:17   #18
Give, give, give member

A brief history of Madder (Turkey) red, and Accrington's Frederick Steiner's (1787 - 1869) involvement of it successfully being manufactured in England.

Madder Red-A Revolutionary Colour by Anthony S. Travis

Great Britain and her world, 1750 ... - Google Books

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:54   #19
Senior Member+

Turkey red dye and the process involved was not solely a Baxenden product, nor wasit the first.
Steiner and Gatty were involved in it, Steiner holding a patent and producing it at his Church Turkey Red Dyeworks. They were in partnership on Hag Lane ( now Hyndburn Rd) also. This was in the early to mid 1800s. Gatty patented a khaki dye process.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 11:20   #20
Senior Member+

So wonder why Turkey Street in Accrington is so called? As far as I know, it is NOT near a dye works (unless you think of Plantation Mill).

Last edited by Atarah; 23-01-2010 at 11:22.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 11:23   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Turkey red dye and the process involved was not solely a Baxenden product, nor wasit the first.
Steiner and Gatty were involved in it, Steiner holding a patent and producing it at his Church Turkey Red Dyeworks. They were in partnership on Hag Lane ( now Hyndburn Rd) also. This was in the early to mid 1800s. Gatty patented a khaki dye process.
There was a Madder works near where Accy ambulance station is. The ambulance station was actually built on the site of a small lodge associated with the mill.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 15:13   #22
Senior Member+

Before Wesley Chapel was built in Spring |gardens/Abbey Street, the members met in a room called The madder Room which was owned by the Hargreaves of Broad Oak works which was in Grange Lane behind where the chapel was built. Madder is a natural product, perhaps a leaf or stem of a plant ,which is used for the juice, a dye, which is extracted from it.
Old 23-01-2010, 16:53   #23
Give, give, give member

'1851 Michaelmas Term. The Queen v Frederick Steiner, turkey red dyer of Hyndburn cottage, near Accrington, Lancastershire. Information (on quo warranto) letters patent granted for an invention for 'a new manufacture of a certain colouring matter commonly called garancine'. Case in the Court of Kings Bench.'
Detecting your browser settings

Old 23-01-2010, 17:01   #24
Give, give, give member

The rather complicated procedure of producing Turkey red, including the 'old Steiner' way, can be found on the following link, starting at page 106.

Full text of "The methods of textile chemistry;"

Old 23-01-2010, 19:50   #25
Senior Member+

Is garinda made from garancine?

Perhaps Turkey St is so called for the same reason that Persia St and those near to it near Antley are so called - Steiner traded there. However, Peel, who owned the land that Turkey St is on, didn't usually do this. He may have wanted to delight the Turkish ambassador. He may have chosen the name on Xmas Day.When I can find my Shurmer's Guide I will have alook for another explanation.
Old 23-01-2010, 20:08   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Is garinda made from garancine?

Perhaps Turkey St is so called for the same reason that Persia St and those near to it near Antley are so called - Steiner traded there. However, Peel, who owned the land that Turkey St is on, didn't usually do this. He may have wanted to delight the Turkish ambassador. He may have chosen the name on Xmas Day.When I can find my Shurmer's Guide I will have alook for another explanation.
Chosen the name on Xmas Day. Haha, very funny!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..