Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2005, 19:43   #1
Junior Member+

Turkey Red Dye Works Accrington

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE IN ACCRINGTON WAS TURKEY RED DYE WORKS. IAM LOOKING FOR MY FAMILY HISTORY. MANY OF MY RELATIVES WORKED AT TURKEY RED DYE FROM 1880 - 1895.

I AM VISITING SOON, could anyone help me ?
Thanks
adlersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2005, 19:55   #2
Member.

Re: Turkey Red Dye Works Accrington

Hello Adlersparker, Welcome to the site, I hope you stay awhile…….I don’t have a clue where the Turkey Red Dye Works was although I have no doubt that someone will so I won’t confuse matters by making suggestions. Are you happy to tell us your family name?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 20:55   #3
Member.

This might help but I don’t know wear the mill or works was but Messer’s F. Steiner & Co Ltd, dyers and calico printers at Church was a Turkey Red Dye producer.

You might find this of interest as well.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~fiona.j.hall/1851data.htm

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 27-07-2005 at 20:57.
Old 28-07-2005, 08:40   #4

If you PM me with your Email address not only will I tell you the location but will let you have an aerial photo of the works.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 08:55   #5
BOB

turkey red dye works was in baxenden , some of the site is still there

Last edited by BOB; 28-07-2005 at 08:56.
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 12:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB
Really? What was the exact location please Bob?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 16:13   #7
Member.

And there’s more………………..The following photos are of FSteiners', at Church Bank and two of the fire of 1906 at Foxhill bank. If you haven’t already found them the photographs can be found on the Cotton Town site.

First Photo = Church Bank Mill.

http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?pageid=257
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steiner's Church Works.jpg (34.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Fire at Steiners', Foxhill Bank. 1905.jpg (46.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Fire at Steiners', Foxhill Bank..jpg (53.2 KB, 109 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 00:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB
MY dad worked there, (befor it was nocked down) Can remember all the site , its a scrap yard now.......
.. apest1 ..

Last edited by apest1; 29-07-2005 at 00:01.
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 10:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by apest1
MY dad worked there, (befor it was nocked down) Can remember all the site , its a scrap yard now.......
Are you absolutely sure that the present scapyard is on the site of the Dye works ?
Old 29-07-2005, 11:45   #10

Come on guys, somebody tell me where it was.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 12:56   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Hi John, I’ve not found anything out about Turkey red dyeing in Baxenden. All I could come up with is this peace on the Harley Street Mill’

Harley Street Mill

“Extensive factory settlement on north bank of River Blakewater, established by William Feilden, William . Townley and William Throp. Feilden, a successful calico manufacturer and merchant, had been associated with Sir Richard Arkwright. First spinning mill erected 1823-24, second in 1824. Weaving sheds added 1828 and 1832. Five beam engines in 1833. About 500 employees by 1847. A large settlement of back to back houses was built in Leyland and Harley Streets, and on George Street West. The firm became Sir Win. Feilden & Co., c1844, later Feilden & Jackson. R. R. Jackson, a nephew of Feilden, took over completely in 1861. In 1848 Phoenix Mill and Foundry were acquired and during the 1850's large additions, on the site of Harley Street, were made to the weaving sheds. 70,000 spindles, 1365 looms and 1400 employees in 1861. A small part of the mill was leased to the unsuccessful Blackburn Industrial Cotton Spinning & Manufacturing Co. Ltd., 1860-64. Further extensions in the late 1860's increased spindles to 89,000 and looms to 1555. R. R. Jackson & Co. Ltd., formed 1878. 35,720 ring spindles installed 1881 - the largest total placed in a local mill during the 19th century. In 1884, probably for financial reasons R. R. Jackson & Co. Ltd., ceased trading. The two spinning mills were completely demolished. Plant sold included a pair of horizontal engines, 22" + 38", and a large beam engine compounded with a high pressure horizontal. Jackson leased Phoenix Mill, and the surviving sheds at Harley Street as separate units. Harley Street Mill - A weaving shed of 547 looms, sited to the north of Phoenix Mill. Leased to James Livesey 1884-1914, Harley St. Mill Co. Ltd., 1914-24. The mill was taken over by the Industrial Manufacturing Co. Ltd., of Baxenden but weaving was very limited thereafter. Completely closed by 1930".

Content reproduced with the kind permission of Mike Rothwell

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 15:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Location -- On the right hand side between Alliance St and Hollands Pies.

Various firms had occupied the site since about 1790 and in 1864 the works were taken over by the Baxenden Turkey Red Dyeing Co. Following failure in 1878 the dyeworks wes taken over by the works manager, Mr Kearns. Over 200 were employed in 1888. Eventually became Kearns Allan & Co.Ltd.

Alliance St is in the "dip" in the road and went down to Alliance Mill which closed in 1962 and was demolished after the 1964 flooding.

Haven`t got the Copyright of the photo but will Email it to anyone interested. It is already on its way to you John.
Old 29-07-2005, 16:26   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert
Location -- On the right hand side between Alliance St and Hollands Pies.

Various firms had occupied the site since about 1790 and in 1864 the works were taken over by the Baxenden Turkey Red Dyeing Co. Following failure in 1878 the dyeworks wes taken over by the works manager, Mr Kearns. Over 200 were employed in 1888. Eventually became Kearns Allan & Co.Ltd.

Alliance St is in the "dip" in the road and went down to Alliance Mill which closed in 1962 and was demolished after the 1964 flooding.

Haven`t got the Copyright of the photo but will Email it to anyone interested. It is already on its way to you John.
Thats excellent work Owd Bert. I would mind seeing the photo myself?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 19:48   #14

Turkey Red was in Baxenden. I have touched on it in my forthcoming book entitled- Baxenden, Rising Bridge and Stonefold.

For further details please visit www.lancashirebooks.co.uk
Darren Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 16:56   #15
Junior Member+

I would like to thank everyone for all the help on Turkey Red dye works, it has all been a great help.

Thanks Wendy
adlersparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..