Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2006, 20:28   #16

Re: Childcare Nightmare!!!

its always very hard to go back to work and leave your baby for the first time especially if its your first child, ive done it with all my 3 lads and it doesn't get any easier, but i agree, it definatley developes excellent social and learning skills if the children attend a good nursery or have good child care. I can recommend heathland my nephew has attended since he was 12 weeks old and he's 2 now, he's so well developed and bright and his social skills are excellent, i think the ratio is 1 nursery nurse to 3 babys they have gardens and soft play areas kindergarton the staff are excellent and very friendly and they have a private school attatched.I hope you manage to get sorted out soon and good luck for when you go back to work.
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2006, 21:03   #17
Resting in Peace

[quote=carolef] but i agree, it definatley developes excellent social and learning skills if the children attend a good nursery or have good child care. /quote]

There you go again >>>> generalising >>> like children who don't attend nurseries, child care .. don't ??
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:20   #18

[quote=katex]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolef
but i agree, it definatley developes excellent social and learning skills if the children attend a good nursery or have good child care. /quote]

There you go again >>>> generalising >>> like children who don't attend nurseries, child care .. don't ??
just my opinion i don't think i'm generalising i can only give my own personal opinion from my own experience
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:23   #19
Beacon of light

There is so much guilt heaped on Mum's who need to access childcare so that they can return to work.....I think you have to look at the positive aspects of good child care...whether it is provided by nursery or child minder, or indeed a family member. I have said in all my posts to this thread that my observations are from personal experience........I have also said that all children are different and that Mum's need to go with their gut feeling as they know their child best. In an ideal world it would be unnecessary for mothers to leave their children and go out to work......or maybe that would be ideal for the child but maybe not for all mums(generalising again)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:25   #20

Thanks for all your opinions they've got my mind buzzing with questions and possibilities!! Me and My boyfriend going to see a childminder tomorrow and i'm going to look at nurseries in a wider area. i was trying to look at the ones on route but that isn't happening. Its such a big decision, can't afford to make the wrong one!!!!

My boyfriend solved the problem today (well in his own little world) HE will become a house husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best laugh i've had all week.

Last edited by TracyO; 16-03-2006 at 21:31.
TracyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:26   #21
Beacon of light

I think that the point of this post was for Tracey to find out what other members experiences had been and maybe hope that there was some help out there. Tracey......I hope you get sorted. A happy mother makes for a happy baby.....and vice versa.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 11:07   #22
Clearly Classy.......

Hi Tracy.... I presume you are the Tracy whos going to be working with me in a few weeks. which School does Sam go to?

Ring me at work if you like and I'll tell you about Emilys nursery.

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 11:38   #23
God Member

Our Siobhan has a balance of childcare, When Julie was looking to go back to work we found what we believe is a good compromise. Siobhan goes to Oscar Bears 2 days a week(Tues/Thurs) Julies mum looks after her from 8-2 2 or three days a week with me doing a 9 day fortnight( i.e I fit 2 weeks work into 9 working days) and I spend the other day looking after Siobhan. So she has a balance of nursery and all the distractions that offers, Grandma with all the support that family bring, Julie in the afternoons and me(Daddy) spending a whole day with her We do stuff like swimming, feeding ducks, going to see other Nanna etc on the afternoons and my non working day. I know I'm lucky that my employer lets me do the flexible working pattern.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 12:27   #24
Resting in peace

Both my children went to childminders and then to nursery. My two grandchildren are also at nursery, Finn part time and Helena full time. Both of them seem to love it. A good childminder is a true blessing. Mine, Margaret, was absolutely wonderful. The first few days/weeks are awful, you hate leaving them, but eventually you will be glad you did. I agree with Margaret, early interaction with other children is good - especially for only children, because they learn to give and take.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 15:44   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
There is so much guilt heaped on Mum's who need to access childcare so that they can return to work.....I think you have to look at the positive aspects of good child care...whether it is provided by nursery or child minder, or indeed a family member. I have said in all my posts to this thread that my observations are from personal experience........I have also said that all children are different and that Mum's need to go with their gut feeling as they know their child best. In an ideal world it would be unnecessary for mothers to leave their children and go out to work......or maybe that would be ideal for the child but maybe not for all mums(generalising again)
Very true Margaret, i myself have no option but to stay at home or find something within school hours again very limited plus being able to afford to provide financially on small hours. Fortunately the pre-school childcare is more accessible than of school age, though depending on area in which you live & where your child will go to school is dependant on whether there is choice of affordable childcare available.

As margaret says you know yourselves, what you want & your child so in better position to decide although i know its not easy either way. Good Luck
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 17:42   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
. . I agree with Margaret, early interaction with other children is good - especially for only children, because they learn to give and take.
Oh dear Pendy, didn't really wish to thread wander as initially to help Tracy, think everybody is though, however, 'only' children can be, on the whole, and in my personal experience.. tee hee., very loving and generous children because they are not thrown into a territorial situation with siblings. Always pleased to have the opportunity to share their possesions with other children.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 20:09   #27

The decision has been made!!!

I am pleased to announce the provider for my angels childcare 2006 is.............

OSCAR BEARS

A friends mum works there (always an advantage to know someone i say), its on route for both children, they have a place available and the money aint to bad either.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and thanks to buttonsmum for the party picks (they sold it!)

Tracy xx
Old 17-03-2006, 21:06   #28

Looks like I'm a little too late for advice, but I'm glad you got sorted. Same thing happened to me in 2003, found a place in Haslingden at the last minute so I know exactly what you've been thinking!
My 9 year old goes to the holiday club at Oscar Bears and I've never had any problems with them at all. All the staff are lovely and get on really well with my son, and I can't fault Fran. She always knows who I am when I ring to book Lewis in for a school holiday, and always has time for a chat even if it seems like chaos all around her! with all those names/faces to remember every day I don't know how she does it, but she does and you can't fake that kind of personal attention.
I would highly recommend Oscar Bears to anyone, I hope your experience is the same TracyO. And give it a good few months to get used to working again and 'leaving' your baby. It was really hard this time for me, but I didn't really have much choice about going to work or not. The reward I get every day is the HUGE smile and the 'Mummy!' from Riley when I pick him up. It's so nice to have that, it really is.
Harwood Red - Im enjoying it while it lasts
AccyRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 09:03   #29
Senior Member+

Just to let you know Fran has now left Oscar Bears and is working down Clayton.

But we still find the staff very good. Olivia will love it at Oscar Bears and should be in the same baby room with Siobhan. Hope all goes well with your start back at work.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 11:36   #30

Thanks Julie!!!

I'm still a bit wary but isn't any mother. Feeling a lot better about the whole thing in general

when does siobhan go?? we might see each other pm me!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..