Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2006, 14:08   #31
God Member

Re: Childcare Nightmare!!!

Siobhan goes Tuesdays and Thursadys, 8-5:30 ish

I usually pick her up on Thursdays

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2006, 19:14   #32

Olivia going to be going on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays
TracyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:19   #33
God Member

We may see you on a Tuesday then!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 20:40   #34
God Member

Whilst I found Oscar Bears to be a really good place when both Zack and Maddie were very young I have to say that the pre school year is a little lacking. They were excellent with looking after the children and their general health and well being was well catered for. I just felt that in the final year they should be doing a bit of preparation for school. When Maddie was there she was the second oldest child there for a whole year and I felt that they didn't give her any challenges when she was so ready to go to school. Within six weeks of school she'd been challenged far more than a year at Oscar Bears and was moved rapidly up to the next class. With Zack we moved him out of Oscar Bears for his preschool year and he's being challenged and motivated every day.

So, I totally think you're in the right place for now but I think what I'm saying is that you shouldn't remain too loyal later on if it's better to move your child to a more challenging environment.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 21:07   #35
Resting in Peace

Why ? Why should a child be 'challenged' pre-school ? Let them enjoy the play, plenty of time to learn >>> if necessary, parents can handle this at home should they wish to learn a little more. Not particular good for them to start school, knowing how to read, mathematical calculations before their years unless they are, of course, one of the many children born with the affliction of genius.

'Tis difficult, I know when a child is born June > August and a year to wait until they can go to school, however, they do catch up within the first year as my son proved, and predicted by the teachers.

Pre-school is surely 'pre-school'.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 21:11   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Why ? Why should a child be 'challenged' pre-school ? Let them enjoy the play, plenty of time to learn >>> if necessary, parents can handle this at home should they wish to learn a little more. Not particular good for them to start school, knowing how to read, mathematical calculations before their years unless they are, of course, one of the many children born with the affliction of genius.

'Tis difficult, I know when a child is born June > August and a year to wait until they can go to school, however, they do catch up within the first year as my son proved, and predicted by the teachers.

Pre-school is surely 'pre-school'.
Because they are like sponges at that age and some children demand more information and more learning - if some children remain unchallenged they get bored and restless and disruptive.

Yes, playing is good and I'm not saying that it's not important but a bright child that is bored can be a huge problem. Also, if they are the oldest and brightest in a group then other children look up to them.

Old 19-03-2006, 21:27   #37
Resting in Peace

Sponges .. yes, I agree humans learn more in their first five years of life than the rest of it, but doesn't have to be academic learning all the time, if they are the brightest and oldest in a group and other children look up to them surely better to teach them communication skills and how to pass on their maturity, learning and caring, beats me why they should be bored and disruptive ?
Even if a child learns to read pre-school, they won't fair any better at school if they have reached their level of intelligence; other children will soon catch up and supersede them, with more academic talent.
Sorry, Gayle, but smacks of pushy mother to me.
Old 19-03-2006, 21:38   #38
God Member

No, not at all pushy just going off experience. Maddie was bored rigid for her final preschool year and quite unhappy, she got to a point where she really wasn't interested in going in. All she wanted to do was find out more about school. Being challenged isn't just a case of reading and writing, but it is slightly more than watching TV and letting them play with dolls.

Zack was the same and was starting to get bored. So I moved him and now he's in with a mixed year group, half of whom are older than him and he's happy again. My only regret is that I didn't fully recognise what was going on with Maddie and I left her in an environment that wasn't right for her during that final year.

You know me and you should know that my two children are the most important people in my life. They are both quite bright and want to learn new stuff every day. I don't think I'm being pushy by providing stimulation for them, I'm trying to cater for their needs.

Old 19-03-2006, 21:52   #39
Resting in Peace

Touche Gayle, but as said before, all about knowing your own children, isn't it ? and their needs and not all children would wish to be moved anywhere else if you understand me, but to be fair to you ,you did state if its better for your children (Tracy's that is).

Still, however,you are only covering what you feel is a particular hard year and that extra formative year will not have any great benefit to them as they progress through their school life, as they would have shone through anyway.
Old 20-03-2006, 09:12   #40
God Member

Thanks Katie and yes, every child is very different. I'm not knocking Oscar Bears either because they were great with my kids and Maddie still goes to after school club there as will Zack when he's at school.

All I was saying really is that it's very easy to be loyal to a place because they've looked after your children well for three years. I was with Maddie and I don't think it did anyone any favours but I made the decision with Zack to move him and it was a good decision.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..