Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2008, 18:26   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
Im absolutely fine with everyone having there own opinions , thats the whole point of a forum!

My opinion is:

That yes, fish feel pain BUT they don't SUFFER from pain?
Why you may ask , well this is why:
Because they don't have a Neocortex in their brain which is the presupposition for any complex procession of nerval stimulation,whether it's pain, light, sound, heat, cold, a.s.o.

What i do is:

Fish with barbless hooks, i try and bring the fish in as quick as possible, once the fish are caught i put it on a fishing mat, carefully take the barbless hook out of its mouth , put the fish in the keep net to let it calm down and to get used to its surroundings again, then after a while return the fish carefully into the water (not chucking it in). With me doing this i feel its respect to the fish.

I enjoy fishing enormously and will keep fishing. I understand other peoples views and respect them alot however this has been done for years and years as a sport and is done and enjoyed by quite alot of people around the world.
So because millions of people around the world enjoy fishing it is OK to continue to do so.

Well tens of thousands get murdered every year and many more get killed and injured on the roads so that must be OK also.

If you had any respect at all for the fish you wouldn’t deliberately injure the fish just because you enjoy fishing.

As for your claim that fish feel pain but do not suffer from pain, well only masochists do not suffer from pain. They like it. But then we never know, maybe all fish are masochists?

Have a look at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3673
http://www.animal-lib.org.au/lists/fish/fish.shtml
http://www.firstscience.co.uk/site/editor/024_ramblings_05092003.asp
Plus many, many more but only one http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/10/1044725683181.html with a different view.
Old 22-09-2008, 18:30   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My dad showed me how to tickle trout - no rod - no hooks - they just die gasping
and tasted lovely
Ah! But that was for the table.

However wasn’t it a bit cruel to let the fish die gasping?

Would you drown a lamb so that you could have a nice tasty lamb chop?
Old 23-09-2008, 16:33   #18
Senior Member+

Re: Fishing?

What happened to the fair opinions! :s I have mine , you have yours , end off.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 17:49   #19
God Member

I reckon fruit conserve sandwich is so vehemently opposed to the sport of angling because he was a fish in a former life. If you throw him a bait on here he certainly can't resist biting.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:58   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fishing?

Quote:
What happened to the fair opinions! :s I have mine , you have yours , end off.
I’ve given my opinion on fishing for sport and gave my verifiable reasons for that opinion.

I await, but not with baited breath, for someone to establish that fishing is a sport and that it is not cruel.

Just saying so does nothing to advance an opinion opposed to mine.
Old 23-09-2008, 22:28   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I reckon fruit conserve sandwich is so vehemently opposed to the sport of angling because he was a fish in a former life. If you throw him a bait on here he certainly can't resist biting.
Like water off a duck's back..........I'ts turned a friendly bit of banter into an obsession to prove who's ball park we are in.....I think you should get your after life friend to contribute to this forum to explain that the only way to stop a fish-hook entering your gob...Is to keep the gob shut.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:24   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Just saying so does nothing to advance an opinion opposed to mine.
I havent just said so , i gave my reasons + a scientific explanation with it.

I will be fishing at the weekend Jambutty and when i catch one il smile and think of you!

Old 24-09-2008, 13:17   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
I havent just said so , i gave my reasons + a scientific explanation with it.

I will be fishing at the weekend Jambutty and when i catch one il smile and think of you!
Your reasons were just words on a screen without being verified by a scientific source and thus remain just that – words on a screen with no value.

I have listed several links to various scientific bodies who verify that fish feel pain and suffer because of it – this is another http://www.aish.com/societyWork/sciencenature/Hooked_on_a_Cruel_Sport.asp

I even listed a link to the opposite view, but there is only one that I can find. There is overwhelming evidence by scientists far clever than you, I and the rest of this forum put together that have come to the conclusion that fish feel pain and suffer because of it.

So where is your proof that fish don’t feel pain?

What you do at the weekend and what you think about is no concern of mine but it will not alter the simple fact that a) fishing is not a sport and b) deliberately injuring a fish for your own pleasure can only be described as sadism.

If you cannot accept that then there is no more to be said as I have no intention of repeating myself.
Old 24-09-2008, 13:42   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Words on a screen with no value.
If you cannot accept that then there is no more to be said as I have no intention of repeating myself.
Fellas...................I think we might have won a do?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 14:52   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Dream On Roy, Dream On, i wouldn't have seen that if ya hadn't highlighted it, had him on ignore fer last 2/3 weeks n its magic.
Old 24-09-2008, 18:54   #26
Senior Member+

This a silly debate jambutty where your words will mean nothing to me or anyone , your opinion i couldnt care less about. This thread i made was for asking about who went fishing etc not for your to come on this thread and share your views on if you dont like it and how you feel for some fish.
Make your own thread!

Old 25-09-2008, 12:33   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
So these ‘debates’ ARE A COMPETITION to see who wins.

Suspicions confirmed.
Old 25-09-2008, 12:43   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
This a silly debate jambutty where your words will mean nothing to me or anyone , your opinion i couldnt care less about. This thread i made was for asking about who went fishing etc not for your to come on this thread and share your views on if you dont like it and how you feel for some fish.
Make your own thread!
Well you are taking part in it.

Then after joining in the debate you suddenly decide that it has drifted off topic. How come you didn’t take that view after my first post in this thread?

That wouldn’t be because you have no verifiable way of countering my accusation that fishing with a rod, line and hook and then returning the fish to the water for some other angler to catch is cruel as enjoyable, would it? And you see the ‘off topic’ card as a means of wriggling off the hook.

If you are not prepared to admit to the world that fishing for please is cruel then admit it to yourself.
Old 25-09-2008, 13:08   #29
Senior Member+

One thing il give you Jambutty is that your posts amuse me , but i am easily amused

However i wont admit it as its not my view. The reason i want to end this off topic debate as its going to far and going on and on and on , and no-one is going to admit there wrong because we all have different views not because im wriggling off the hook.
If you want to keep debating this then by all means make your own thread and i think everyone will share there views on that.

Old 25-09-2008, 15:31   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
My dad showed me how to tickle trout - no rod - no hooks - they just die gasping
Margaret, do you not fancy tickling the doddering Darwen delinquent?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..