Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2010, 07:40   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Swimming In Hyndburn Sports Centre

Sports centre is a dump! No bar ,No canteen , squash courts dropping to pieces and smell very bad , toilets in changing rooms stink, doors on half of cubicles , Astros turf lol might aswell play on Tarmac it was in a poor state 10years ago needs flattening and starting again .I am sure mr Bricliffe could of asked his tesco pals to sort it
pinkpanther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2011, 20:14   #32

Appreciate the feedback on Hyndburn Leisure Centre. Some positive news that hopefully addresses some of the points that have raised on the forum:
Squash courts - Hyndburn Leisure are working in partnership with England Squash and Racketball and in the next 2months will be completely refurbishing all four squash courts at Hyndburn Leisure Centre.
Changing areas - Work is currently underway at the centre to introduce a modern disabled changing area. The current plans for Summer/Autumn are to completely refurbish the changing areas.
Cafe/Bar - Hyndburn Leisure is in discussions with partners about the development of the bar/cafe areas - it is expected that these plans will be announced in the Summer/Autumn.
Astro Turf - As above Hyndburn Leisure are in discussions with partners about the possible development/upgrade of the astro turf.
Fitness Room - Proposed refresh of gym kit and fitness room decor in Autumn 2011.
Pool Programme - Feb 2011 has seen the launch of a brand new pool programme. This has been developed to encourage new users via a diverse programme of activities. There has also been a conscious effort made to provide more slots for public use and more laned sessions for adult swimming/fitness.
Learn to Swim programme - In April all Hyndburn Leisure sites will introduce the Amateur Swimming association endorsed National Plan for Teaching Swimming.
Mercer Hall - a brand new state of the art health spa opened at Mercer Hall in Jan this year.

For more information visit the website at Hyndburn Leisure

If you have any suggestions on how we can improve things email [email protected]
Hyndburn Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 22:15   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyndburn Leisure View Post
Appreciate the feedback on Hyndburn Leisure Centre.
Thanks for that information.

Please could you explain how Hyndburn Leisure Centre and the other facilities that Leisure In Hyndburn manage are funded. I am sure I am not alone when I say I don't understand who owns what and how things are funded.

Is Leisure In Hyndburn managed by Hyndburn Borough Council, if not what input do they have?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43   #34

Hi Neil - happy to provide info...

Leisure in Hyndburn is a a company limited by guarantee with charitable status. It was formed in 2002 to manage the Hyndburn's sport and leisure facilities and in 2005 also took on the managment of the Council’s Arts & Entertainment facilities and community buildings. (A full list of the sites and services can be found on the new website Hyndburn Leisure)

The Trust is a completely standalone organisation to the Council and essentially it manages and delivers the services outlined above on behalf of the Council via an annually paid grant and management agreement.

The Trust has developed a strong working partnership with Hyndburn Borough Council and, with the Council’s continued support, the Trust is committed to a comprehensive modernisation of its services over the next five years to ensure that it provides local communities with accessible sport, leisure and cultural pursuits in modern, well managed facilities.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45   #35

NB A couple of points that should have been included....

The next five years reference relates to the period of the Trust's new strategy (2011-2016).
The Trust is currently in the process of finalising a new 10year agreement with the Council.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48   #36
God Member

what a nice person...that information was very informative, wish more people could be like that, thankyou
Old 11-02-2011, 13:08   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Thank you for the info, I will think of some harder questions for you later
Old 18-02-2011, 16:38   #38

No problem Neil....happy to answer any future questions.
Old 18-02-2011, 16:46   #39
God Member

There's an aricle in the Observer, although it starts with a lie

Leisure services set to be protected from cuts | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
Old 18-02-2011, 17:37   #40
Full Member+

My good lady and I went to Hyndburn Sports Centre for a swim last Sunday, arriving about 11am, only to be told that the pool would be closed to me from 11.45 to faciltate women only. On the way out it was very noticeable that the 'women only' turning up seemed to belong to one particular minority. Need I say more.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 18:01   #41
JCB

Pity we haven't got the open-air swimming pool that was in Milnshaw Park .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:36   #42
Clearly Classy.......

bit chilly, even in the height of our summers

My Gallery My Albums

Last edited by Romps; 22-02-2011 at 11:41.
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 13:11   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Pity we haven't got the open-air swimming pool that was in Milnshaw Park .
Yer must be a short arse JCB, i could only paddle in it?
Old 22-02-2011, 13:14   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
My good lady and I went to Hyndburn Sports Centre for a swim last Sunday, arriving about 11am, only to be told that the pool would be closed to me from 11.45 to faciltate women only. On the way out it was very noticeable that the 'women only' turning up seemed to belong to one particular minority. Need I say more.
I dont believe in men or women only swimming sessions. Very sexist and should not be allowed.
Old 22-02-2011, 13:33   #45
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I dont believe in men or women only swimming sessions. Very sexist and should not be allowed.
Hello Strasbourg ? I am Ali Ramjam Sali Singh & would like to make a complaint please ! This very naughty man is attacking my hummin rites, can we please put him in prison with all the other naughty British boys or can we just carry out a fatone on him ?

I am thanking you, yours A.R.S.Singh

DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..