Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 19:09   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Red riding

Did anyone watch this last night?
I dont know if im the only one but i could not get into it, thought it was slow and no real action to it.....anyone else think the same or maybe i was just tired
Old 06-03-2009, 19:59   #2
Caz
God Member

Re: Red riding

Thought it was darn good, waiting for the other two eps.

You weren't expecting something like Heartbeat, were you?

What exactly do you mean by no real action? That puzzles me.
Or do you mean "TV" type action, not a representation of the sort of things that actually happen?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 20:09   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I like action, like Whitechapel that was on the other week, that was good!!

Like i said i was tired and probably dozed off and missed the good parts lol, maybe ill watch it gain and see what happens, maybe i was expecting something like life on mars...i dont know, probably because of the 70's theme?
Old 06-03-2009, 20:14   #4
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I like action, like Whitechapel that was on the other week, that was good!!

Like i said i was tired and probably dozed off and missed the good parts lol, maybe ill watch it gain and see what happens, maybe i was expecting something like life on mars...i dont know, probably because of the 70's theme?

Real things happened in the seventies Panther. This shows some of the grittier side. You should be ok next week, yorkshire ripper included.

No action? Challenge that. In last nights episode, a missing child, loosely based I think on Stefan kishkov(sp) Journalist being tortured by corrupt police, corrupt business men getting whatever they want sorted in whatever way with backhanders. Maybe you found it too disturbing that it was based on the truth of what was going on back then?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-03-2009, 23:26   #5
Give, give, give member

I enjoyed it, and though the filming, sets, and costumes were spot on, as was the acting.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 23:32   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i watched just oer 1 hour of it, was disapointed, thought there was too much mumbling in it, n soft speaking, as i am deaf as a doorpost could not hear that good, was looking forward to it as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 23:40   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i watched just oer 1 hour of it, was disapointed, thought there was too much mumbling in it, n soft speaking, as i am deaf as a doorpost could not hear that good, was looking forward to it as well.
No, you're right, I'd forgotten about that.

The sound was appalling.

I had to turn up the volume really loud to hear what they were saying, and then remember to turn it down before I blasted my eardrums, when the adverts came on.

With most '70's retro dramas I'm usually disappointed with the hair. There isn't the time for the actors to grow their own, so they usually stick a bad wig on their bonce. Detailing in last night's programme was faultless. Everything from light fittings to wallpaper was bang on, including the lead's real feather cut.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 23:53   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

shame really cos thought the scenes/ costumes etc were very good, bet theres less viewers with the other 2, cos theres a lot of owd farts like me got bad lugs.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04   #9
Resting in Peace

I recorded it and have yet to watch it, seems people on here have mixed feelings about it
Old 07-03-2009, 18:59   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I recorded it and have yet to watch it, seems people on here have mixed feelings about it
yeh theres the ones with "Bad Lugs" n the ones without.
Old 07-03-2009, 19:13   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm one of those too Jaysay, couldn't make my mind up whether I enjoyed it or not, so suppose I didn't really.

Agree with Garinda re. the production/direction of acting/costumes/camera angles, but ..... a little confusing at times, and the violence did disturb me ... 'specially when the police officers hit the journalist on his hands with those handcuffs. Nobody in their right mind would have kept on going like this journalist, and the end result of him shooting the 'boss' was a little unbelievable.

Some gory programmes can leave you with a feel good factor funnily enough, but not this one.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 20:04   #12
Caz
God Member

Can I just put this bit in, From an article by David Peace who wrote the four books the trilogy is based on.

Quote:
Crime is brutal, harrowing and devastating for everyone involved, and crime fiction should be every bit as brutal, harrowing and devastating as the violence of the reality it seeks to document. Anything less at best sanitises crime and its effects, at worst trivialises it. Anything more exploits other people's misery as purely vicarious entertainment. It is a very, very fine line. Similarly, the sexuality in my books reflects the times in which they are set; I strongly believe that crimes happen at a particular time, in a particular place to a particular person for very, very, very particular reasons. Both Gordon Burn and Helen Ward Jouve in their excellent books on the Yorkshire Ripper have made the point before, but the Yorkshire of the 1970s was a hostile environment to be living in and especially for women.
We watch too much sanitised TV crime drama these days, maybe that's why some people think the issues aren't as big as they really are.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-03-2009, 00:11   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post

We watch too much sanitised TV crime drama these days, maybe that's why some people think the issues aren't as big as they really are.
not really sure about that caz, items on the news which is on a few times a day, certainly don't sanitize too much, dramas possibly do, but ya sure realise how big or serious things are by watching the news.
Old 08-03-2009, 00:14   #14
Caz
God Member

Yeah cashy, but maybe the people who watch too much sanitized TV don't take much head to what is going on in the news....unless it is somat like the Yorkshire ripper case...but is that seedy voyeurism...
Everyone seems interested in that.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-03-2009, 00:19   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Yeah cashy, but maybe the people who watch too much sanitized TV don't take much head to what is going on in the news....unless it is somat like the Yorkshire ripper case...but is that seedy voyeurism...
Everyone seems interested in that.
dont beat about the bush Caz, ya mean the brainwashed dummies?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..