Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2013, 14:51   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Skint. Channel 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Watched the first 5 minutes then turned off, it was made to get a reaction, looks like it got the one they wanted.......
I am sure there is an element of truth in it but not a lot.
I agree the reporters/researchers/whatever they are have made the program to make the area look as worse as it possibly could.
Less likes this.
Old 21-05-2013, 16:06   #17

There is work if you want it. I'm retired 66 and I could get a job tomorrow. Might not be high pay but enough to live on & keep me off the streets. Some make more on benefits & it's not right.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 16:51   #18
God Member

They did the same when they made the documentaries about Shadsworth and that place in Manchester Neil, they would do exactly the same if they where to do it in Accy, Ossy, Church, Huncoat and Clayton, narrow minded people like the OP refuse to see/believe what's on their doorstep
Old 21-05-2013, 17:03   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
There is work if you want it. I'm retired 66 and I could get a job tomorrow. Might not be high pay but enough to live on & keep me off the streets. Some make more on benefits & it's not right.
No It's not right, nor is it right that having had a comfortable and productive life you criticize all that are now in the position of unemployment.

Cue the exasperated re-buffel about how you had a hard life.

Yes, you may have done, but these people you call are also suffering.
flashy likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:10   #20
Resting in Peace

Some years ago there was a young child knocked down and killed, when a car back over her, she was the youngest of 8 kids, the only thing the father was bothered about was that he would lose the child benefit.
Sunflower49 likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Some years ago there was a young child knocked down and killed, when a car back over her, she was the youngest of 8 kids, the only thing the father was bothered about was that he would lose the child benefit.
If that's true it's sick. Link Please.

However if it's not true how dare you post such a thing?

There are times you create a great deal of dismay in my heart!
Old 21-05-2013, 17:48   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If that's true it's sick. Link Please.

However if it's not true how dare you post such a thing?

There are times you create a great deal of dismay in my heart!
Its perfectly true Less, doubt if I'll find a link though, this happened in the 70s whilst I was living in Haslingden, links are only alive for 76 days or so they were saying on the BBC click program last week, how true that is I don't know, but I certainly would put something like that on here if it wasn't 100% true
Old 21-05-2013, 17:55   #23

Quote:
Its perfectly true Less, doubt if I'll find a link though, this happened in the 70s whilst I was living in Haslingden, links are only alive for 76 days or so they were saying on the BBC click program last week, how true that is I don't know, but I certainly would put something like that on here if it wasn't 100% true
Sheer and utter disgrace, that you should even consider posting something like that without proof.

Propaganda and hearsay has no place on site, send such things to the Mail they love it.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:59   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sheer and utter disgrace, that you should even consider posting something like that without proof.

Propaganda and hearsay has no place on site, send such things to the Mail they love it.
I'm sure in its day it found its own way to the mail without much help Less
Old 21-05-2013, 18:09   #25

Quote:
I'm sure in its day it found its own way to the mail without much help Less
Look, the thread is about a disgraceful fly on the wall documentary, it's bad enough such rubbish as that gets air time, we don't need extra crap, those folk are a disgrace, the documentary is a disgrace, claiming without proof that the first words out of a Fathers mouth are what you claim were said, well let's be honest, a disgrace, but to mention such a thing without proof is...

Well surely even you can see where I'm going with this, can't you?
Old 21-05-2013, 18:19   #26

Quote:
No It's not right, nor is it right that having had a comfortable and productive life you criticize all that are now in the position of unemployment.

Cue the exasperated re-buffel about how you had a hard life.

Yes, you may have done, but these people you call are also suffering.
I think you mean 'rebuttal' (but it doesn't fit)? I haven't had a hard life. I retired from a good job with a pension BUT carried on working for just over minimum wage just to keep occupied and those jobs are still available. If anyone is 'suffering' through unemployment then I suggest they look a bit harder and maybe do something that isn't necessarily entirely to their liking. We can't all be pop stars or premiership footballers!

Last edited by davebtelford; 21-05-2013 at 18:21.
Old 21-05-2013, 18:21   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I watched it with a certain level of dismay, disbelief & resignation. At the very least its sensationalist viewing, exhibiting the worst aspects of those unfortunate enough to be in this position, but there are other people in a similar situation, doing the best they can & quietly plodding along & not submitting to the worst excesses forced upon them.

In particular that foul mouthed little noblet abusing his mother, proper little buck, or so he thinks & it's encouraged by the cameras being there. The girl stealing & selling herself to support her habit & the young mothers who just shrug their shoulders & accept it all, how utterly depressing & sordid the Country has become. And for all the talk about foreigners being the root cause of UK's problems how many were present & performing in that little episode?

Complete disillusionment with the UK & its scions.
Old 21-05-2013, 18:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
I think you mean 'rebuttal' (but it doesn't fit)? I haven't had a hard life. I retired from a good job with a pension BUT carried on working for just over minimum wage just to keep occupied and those jobs are still available. If anyone is 'suffering' through unemployment then I suggest they look a bit harder and maybe do something that isn't necessarily entirely to their liking. We can't all be pop stars or championship footballers!
So, you retired then took a low paid job, had you not taken that job could it not be possible they would have upped the wages enough to employ an unemployed person?

Nah you and your greed needed the pin money.

Of course we can all work for a small amount, not much use though if it leaves you struggling.

However, don't blame the person if the 'system' is wrong.

If a person can legally claim more by not working, it isn't the person that's wrong it's the system.
Old 21-05-2013, 18:33   #29

Quote:
So, you retired then took a low paid job, had you not taken that job could it not be possible they would have upped the wages enough to employ an unemployed person?

Nah you and your greed needed the pin money.

Of course we can all work for a small amount, not much use though if it leaves you struggling.

However, don't blame the person if the 'system' is wrong.

If a person can legally claim more by not working, it isn't the person that's wrong it's the system.
I was working in a team that included younger people who had it as their
main job. I checked the company's website today & they are still recruiting for the same job (all over the country). It's not the system that's wrong it's people whose life choice is to rely on the system.
Old 21-05-2013, 18:43   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Look, the thread is about a disgraceful fly on the wall documentary, it's bad enough such rubbish as that gets air time, we don't need extra crap, those folk are a disgrace, the documentary is a disgrace, claiming without proof that the first words out of a Fathers mouth are what you claim were said, well let's be honest, a disgrace, but to mention such a thing without proof is...

Well surely even you can see where I'm going with this, can't you?
Okay I'll hold my hand up Less, probable can't come up with the proof you require but it did happen, things like that are something you tend to remember.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..