Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2008, 11:19   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: George Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Where and when (years) was the chip shop on Persia St ?, just curious because I had in-laws who lived on that street and only remember it as terraced houses , can't remember any 'shop fronts'
that has me beat, never knew there was 1 on there.
Old 16-01-2008, 14:14   #17
Senior Member+

hi and welcome to accyweb
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 19:21   #18
Senior Member+

The chippy, kept by Harold and alice Foster in post-war years was going strong in the 50s. It was top of persia st at corner of empress Street. odd number. Across empress st was a clogger's/shoemender's Acropss persia St on the opposite corner was a grocery shop, kept by a walmsley when I was a little lad. I can't remember the name who bought it then. probably closed c1960. My dad called himself The Shah of Persia street.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 22:52   #19

Hi Polly, welcome to Accyweb............enjoy
Old 17-01-2008, 08:05   #20
Senior Member+

The chippy was at the top of Persia St, corner of Empress St on the left going down. There was a grocer's shop on the opposite corner - this is post-war and 50s - and there was a shoerepair shop in Empress st at the persia st junction, so 3 shops on 4 corners.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 10:41   #21
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

hi polly welcome to accyweb, hope you find what your looking for
Old 17-01-2008, 19:18   #22

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I have remembered the name of a cousin and I will post that in the relevan section, just in case anyone remembers him.
Thanks everyone
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 14:42   #23
I am Banned

Hi Polly
Met Bob Dobson in the library tody and he old me of your quest.

George Foster
Gunner 5539. Royal Field Artillery
Lived at 70 Dale St Accrington
He was employed at Accrington Railway Station as a Guard

He was on their Roll of Honour as being in the R.H.A.

If you go to Accy Library and use one of their computers, log on to ancestry, you should find him in the 1901 census and with that info, back as far as 1841

Retlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Hi

I grew up in Accrington/Oswaldtwistle and went to Hannah St Infants, Spring Hill Juniors, (hated it) St Pauls Oswaldtwistle and then Rhyddings (left 1976) After which I vowed never to set foot in a school again. Somewhere along the way I changed my mind, qualified as a teach and again vowed never to set foot in a school again.
I now live in Blackburn and run my own tuition centre and a small community newspaper.
I have two grown up sons, a marvelous husband and have never been happier.

However I have never known much ab out my father side of the family and would like to learn more even if it is not what I want to hear.

My paternal grandfather was called George Foster and lived on Dale St (now demolished). He seems to have been 'missing in action' in 1916 when he was in the Royal Feet Auxillary.. Is anyone here related to him? I know he had about four children, my father - also George - Albert. Alfred and Eadie.

I have a rare inherited blood condition and would particulary know where my grandad was from originally.

Any info would be much apreceiated.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 18:41   #24
I am Banned

Hi Polly.
Done some more checking and he was issued with his medals after the war
The British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

You could check on the British MIlitary records, they are classed as the burnt and the unburnt records, theres only a 50% chance though.
If he qualified for a pension or had been wounded and discharged try the pension records.

I've been checking the pension records for about 6 months on line, and as I have some 14000 names to research, and only 1/2 way thro B's, it will be some time before I get to Foster's.
Regards
Retlaw.

Quote:
Hi

I grew up in Accrington/Oswaldtwistle and went to Hannah St Infants, Spring Hill Juniors, (hated it) St Pauls Oswaldtwistle and then Rhyddings (left 1976) After which I vowed never to set foot in a school again. Somewhere along the way I changed my mind, qualified as a teach and again vowed never to set foot in a school again.
I now live in Blackburn and run my own tuition centre and a small community newspaper.
I have two grown up sons, a marvelous husband and have never been happier.

However I have never known much ab out my father side of the family and would like to learn more even if it is not what I want to hear.

My paternal grandfather was called George Foster and lived on Dale St (now demolished). He seems to have been 'missing in action' in 1916 when he was in the Royal Feet Auxillary.. Is anyone here related to him? I know he had about four children, my father - also George - Albert. Alfred and Eadie.

I have a rare inherited blood condition and would particulary know where my grandad was from originally.

Any info would be much apreceiated.
Old 19-01-2008, 03:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Polly.
Done some more checking and he was issued with his medals after the war
The British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

You could check on the British MIlitary records, they are classed as the burnt and the unburnt records, theres only a 50% chance though.
If he qualified for a pension or had been wounded and discharged try the pension records.

I've been checking the pension records for about 6 months on line, and as I have some 14000 names to research, and only 1/2 way thro B's, it will be some time before I get to Foster's.
Regards
Retlaw.
Thanks for all that !!
I have emailed the Auxilary Fleet and maybe I will get a reply?
Im in Accrington library next week so will see what I can discover there. It is interesting to lear that he survived the war.
Thanks for your help and time, and I will let you know how I go on.
Polly
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 00:05   #26
Accy Goddess

Hi polly welcome to accyweb.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 07:13   #27

Hello & welcome
Old 17-08-2008, 15:43   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Hi

Could I book myself in for a lesson to improve my 'interlect' please?

I bet you'd be a great 'teach'.

Last edited by garinda; 17-08-2008 at 15:48.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 16:02   #29
Senior Member+

greetings and welcome

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 16:58   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all that !!
I have emailed the Auxilary Fleet and maybe I will get a reply?
Im in Accrington library next week so will see what I can discover there. It is interesting to lear that he survived the war.
Thanks for your help and time, and I will let you know how I go on.
Polly
Hi Polly
The information I sent you was about a George Foster in the Royal FIELD Artillery. Read my post again.

The Auxilary Fleet (Fleet Auxilary) won't know him.

The one I sent you is the only George Foster in my files, which cover Greater Accrington (now Hyndburn) 1914 to 1919.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-08-2008 at 17:00.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..