Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   What Are They? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/what-are-they-34061.html)

cashman 08-10-2007 19:04

What Are They?

noticed at the bottom of owd bobs, where they are demolishing the old G@A plastics factory, on the gable wall are 5 red brick arches diminishing in size the further up the gable you go. the highest 2 are probably about 4ft, just wondered what they were once used as? think the factory was black and whites before it became G@A, just thought after another week probably they will have vanished forever, any ideas? its bugging me. thanks.

flashy 08-10-2007 19:13

Re: What Are They?

go and take some pics of it cashy

cashman 08-10-2007 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 479309)
go and take some pics of it cashy

cant left me camera in spain.lol plus if i had it, dont know how to put em on here.

flashy 08-10-2007 19:20

ya dozey ******,lol, i havent been down owd bobs in ages, i used to love going down to gatty park wi mi grandad when i was ickler, i remember when there was a bit of water to the left of the wall on owd bobs field, we used to go fishing for newts in it, sadly its not there anymore :(

BERNADETTE 08-10-2007 20:03

Could they be for a hoist? Just a thought for when they were getting big loads delivered.

WillowTheWhisp 08-10-2007 21:51

Oh I wish I'd known earlier. We just drove past that way tonight and I had my camera with me too!

cashman 09-10-2007 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 479336)
Could they be for a hoist? Just a thought for when they were getting big loads delivered.

no sure they wern't for a hoist bernie, wondered if they were owt to do with the river stink? does it go directly under there?

BERNADETTE 09-10-2007 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 479436)
no sure they wern't for a hoist bernie, wondered if they were owt to do with the river stink? does it go directly under there?

Possibly but I do have a vague memory of them taking stuff in there. Could be wrong it is just in my head since you asked. Will see if I can find some more out from my brother.

cashman 09-10-2007 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 479370)
Oh I wish I'd known earlier. We just drove past that way tonight and I had my camera with me too!

the arches consist of 3 red brick stood on the long edge of the brick,in a semi circle, the center is red brick faced, wondered if they had been put in when the arches were no longer useful, if that makes any sense?:confused:

cashman 09-10-2007 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 479437)
Possibly but I do have a vague memory of them taking stuff in there. Could be wrong it is just in my head since you asked. Will see if I can find some more out from my brother.

the arches are only 4ft high and start ground level,thats why i discount the hoist.:confused:

BERNADETTE 09-10-2007 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 479441)
the arches are only 4ft high and start ground level,thats why i discount the hoist.:confused:

The more I think of it I can see the lorries dropping things off when it was an engineering firm. Surely somebody else can remember it, after all I was only a kid but I can see the deliveries being made at the bottom of Owd Bob's. That was definetly the delivery point.:confused:

steeljack 09-10-2007 04:00

sorry for the wander , but I wonder if any members of the local historical society follow this web-site for tips about Accringtons past , because stuff is thrown up on here from time to time which should definatly be noted down or looked into :cool:

cashman 10-10-2007 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 479446)
The more I think of it I can see the lorries dropping things off when it was an engineering firm. Surely somebody else can remember it, after all I was only a kid but I can see the deliveries being made at the bottom of Owd Bob's. That was definetly the delivery point.:confused:

there is actually an owd wooden "loading door" just above the 2 nd arch,so definately that must have been used for deliveries, but those arches??:confused::confused:

WillowTheWhisp 10-10-2007 14:50

Could they have been windows? (I haven't been and looked yet.)

cashman 10-10-2007 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 480002)
Could they have been windows? (I haven't been and looked yet.)

possible willow,but think it would be rare at ground level, for a factory anyway?