Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Think Gobsmacked Is The Word. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/think-gobsmacked-is-the-word-3581.html)

Owd Bert 28-03-2004 20:13

Think Gobsmacked Is The Word.

If it means absolutely astounded, apalled, and find it difficult to believe or understand , then it is the right idiom. I refer to tonights news on ITV which started with the trivial story about some guy agreeing to stay as a football manager for England. On and on it went and later they managed to find time to report the killing in Iraq of two people etc etc. What on earth is this Country coming to ?

Tealeaf 29-03-2004 07:50

Re: Think Gobsmacked Is The Word.

I agree. The priorities are completly wrong. This was a speculative story about a guy who has failed to do his job amongst a bunch of overrated and second rate performers. As far as I'm concerned, Sven-Goran (what sort of a name is that?) can stick his Abba records in the back of his Volvo and head off with Fancy Nancy back to where he belongs.

Darby 29-03-2004 09:13

Sorry Owd Bert...but that's just a reflection of the sorry state of our society.

Care is a bad word.....discipline an even worse word...

Crimes go unreported because of the lack of trust in our police and even more lack of trust in the legal system.

Compassion, consideration and respect are things of the past. Fortunately there are still a few (getting even less every year) who can remember and still do care. It's not just the young ones, as I know many young peoiple who really do care and are just as worried as we are. A lot of the blame should be laid at the feet of the Media, who are only interested in one thing......making money

Deterioration can only go on for so long...until the preverbial bubble bursts...god help us all.

jrenshaw 29-03-2004 13:40

yes priorties are a little askew, maybe I think a story on the offensive racsim that still stains our society that Tealeaf seems to think clever to post on forums.

Tealeaf 29-03-2004 14:06

Some of us find political correctness even more offensive

KIPAX 29-03-2004 16:17

If Sven did do a good job and win something then it would be an embarrsment to the country in my opinion.. He should never have got the Job. The whole idea of a national side is to represent your country. Isn't there somehting wrong with this picture when someone from another country is representing us? Do we send an amercian to sing for us in the european song contest? do we get a german to swim for us in the olympics? and so on.... It's the English national team so should be staffed at all levels by English..

As for the news.. Well the news would be on 24 hrs a day and still not be enough if they where to cover every murder in every country...

St Georges day.....Coming soon........

Tealeaf 29-03-2004 16:30

The funny thing is that in 1958 when Sweden were beaten in the world cup final by Brazil the Swedish manager was English (or so I once read - anyone confirm?)....so thats further than Svens taken England.

But Kipax is right. If there are restrictions on players pertaining to nationality then surely the same should apply to management. After all, it the the manager who determins stratergy for a competition and tactics during a match - it is the manager who decides who comes off & who goes on - so his decisions are just just as important to the outcome of the game as the play of any individual player.

Anyway, can you imagine France or Italy using a non-national manager. They would simply not tolerate the shame.

Bagpuss 29-03-2004 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Some of us find political correctness even more offensive

3 Cheers for Tealeaf at the moment political correctness is going crazy maybe like the people who are causing this ever increasing problem in our society.

Tealeaf 29-03-2004 17:21

Thanks Bagpuss...and on that score I'm retiring for a pint (to a little Polish pub down the street, just to show I'm not that bad)

AccyStanFan 31-03-2004 14:08

they want to keep ppl watching, ppl are bored with iraq.

Tealeaf 31-03-2004 14:11

What the hell are you on about Accy?

mac 01-04-2004 18:40

BORED WITH IRAQ. wanna watch your mouth pal. i've had friends killed over there. i've got friends out there now, risking their necks day in day out.

there are far more important things going on in the world than sven and his boys (big england fan myself)

just forget about footy for a short while and look at the big picture. all people are trying to say is that the coverage was disproportionate (if thats the right word to use, or if its spelt right). sport should be done at the end. there are hundreds of issues out there that we need, or would like to know about. and not just footy issues. its world news. thats all people are trying to say.

think before you post mate.

nothing personal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AccyStanFan 01-04-2004 19:26

sorry thats not what i mean.

im just trying to answer the question why they do this not condoning it. many people who dont really no someone or ppl over therefind it the same news every night about iraq.

i dont personally care if sven does what he does cause i dont reckon the conttract means anything.

im not saying iraq isnt important but what do ITV want?

Ratings

Outback Ozzy 01-04-2004 19:48

Mac, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. I personally lost friends in most conflicts since 1969. I personally am sick of Iraq on TV all the time. It is a war no-one wanted except Poodle Bliar and his croney in the stained White House. Whilst I agree it isn't nice to loose friends in conflicts, and I have been in enough, this was one war that was not required. It was just to get rid of Hussain, which should have been done first time around. I know Terrorism is a major point at the moment, but a few feel good stories would be nice.

Darby 02-04-2004 07:55

Dear oh Dear....we are getting a bit hot-headed.

The thread was originally about Sven and the England team, and not playing Iraq at football.

I always believed sport was ...sport, a sort of out of hours recreation for the masses. OK if England have a jap or brazilian manager....so what. Football is no longer sport...but business, and anybody who can't see that, can't see at all.
I watch football, very often (I played good standard football until 55 years of age), and I see very talented, but spoiled young lads who are molly-coddled and idolised by the press and media....when they are...just young lads who kick a ball.

It's nothing to get hot about under the collar. Interesting, fun,..........yes of course. But put it into perspective against the world backdrop and everybodys daily problems...it pales into insignificance.

As for Iraq, Islam, and Terrorism....this thread ain't the place to discuss it. Open a new one if you want to bring the subject to the fore. Personally, I know that the population of almost all countries does not get enough true information about what is and has happened, and "political correctness rules KO".

Therefore: "No Comment, but I have my own opinions based on a lot more information than most"

Now can we get back to Sven and his girlfriend...or his team?