Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Come again ? or what does that mean ! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/come-again-or-what-does-that-mean-53125.html)

DaveinGermany 08-05-2010 11:16

Come again ? or what does that mean !

Now as this site is Accy based the occasional word or comment will slip in which is locally understood but for us "foreigners" we sit here scratching our heads wondering "what does that mean ?". Prime example Dingle, now I've seen this a few times in threads & have deduced it refers to "A resident of Burnley". Obviously a modern entry into the "Lanky" Dialect but amusing non the less.

What I would like to know is it possible to have a local reference page on here which could be accessible for dialect & slang terms used, a sort of ready reference centre for all ? The main focus of course would be on Lancashire dialect, but the occasional input of a word or term from the farther flung reaches of the Lancashire (present & former) colonies could be added(here I refer to my spiritual home Liverpool). I'm sure there are others who could add a wealth of vernacular & patois from their Native homes.

If you like an Accy Web "Encyclopaedia Lexis Lingo" of which we all may dip into from time to time for our own understanding & education ? :)

katex 08-05-2010 11:30

Re: Come again ? or what does that mean !

LOL Dave. 'Course you could always P.M. Cashy or Retlaw, these are the professors on our local dialect... :D:D

lancsdave 08-05-2010 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 813218)
LOL Dave. 'Course you could always P.M. Cashy or Retlaw, these are the professors on our local dialect... :D:D

I think you have Cashy wrong, jibberish is not a dialect :D

katex 08-05-2010 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 813228)

Ah yes, of course, thanks for the correction Dave.. :D

Neil 08-05-2010 14:04

This could be done with people posting the words and definitions in a thread and I could keep adding them to the first post in alphabetical order as and when I get time. This way we would have one post with all the words in. I suppose I could delete each post with a new word in once the word has been added the the first post.

What do you all think?
Which section would it best fit under?

lancsdave 08-05-2010 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 813257)

Buy, Sell & Swap... which some people seem to think is Accy dialect for 'Lets rip people off and make a fast buck'

Retlaw 08-05-2010 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 813228)

Neither is double Dutch, but its the main language for some on here.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 08-05-2010 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 813218)

Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.

DaveinGermany 08-05-2010 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 813257)
This could be done with people posting the words and definitions in a thread and I could keep adding them to the first post in alphabetical order as and when I get time. This way we would have one post with all the words in. I suppose I could delete each post with a new word in once the word has been added the the first post.

What do you all think?

Sounds like a plan to me :) as to the section, well here would be about right surely ? And you can start by translating Retlaws "Wodti", the rest I believe I've got, cheers :D

MargaretR 08-05-2010 23:39

You can get translation sites by googling. This one appears pucker
Lancashire Dialects

ps - wodti = what do you?/why do you?/why are you?

suedarbo 09-05-2010 04:11

Wodti would translate as, what are you picking on me for. Reading that really makes me miss my dad, he always used to say to me, Nah then wodti up tay:D

Sorry margaret I didn't see your post above, I need my eyes testing

suedarbo 09-05-2010 04:17

:confused:I've done something wrong above just ignore me.........:confused::eek:

DaveinGermany 09-05-2010 07:43

Many thanks Marg R & Sue, I was aware of various translation-decipher sites but thought well why not get it from "The Horse's mouth" so to speak, as they say it's a local site, for local people, so who better to ask about their dialect ? Added to that there are those of us who are further flung :) & we could maybe add a word or two, should we use a colloquialism, which may be unusual to the majority of viewers.

yerself 09-05-2010 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany
Prime example Dingle, now I've seen this a few times in threads & have deduced it refers to "A resident of Burnley".

Originally it was a derogatory term used by fans of Blackburn Rovers to describe Burnley fans. It is now, as you say, used to refer to Burnley residents or natives of Burnley. In the midlands West Brom fans call Wolves fans Dingles.

Eric 09-05-2010 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 813408)
Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.

You sound like a Newfie:eek::D

jaysay 09-05-2010 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 813503)
Originally it was a derogatory term used by fans of Blackburn Rovers to describe Burnley fans. It is now, as you say, used to refer to Burnley residents or natives of Burnley. In the midlands West Brom fans call Wolves fans Dingles.

The reason that started is that Zak Dingle was born in Burnley, since when the shout of give us six as been heard regularly in Burnley town centre :D

Retlaw 09-05-2010 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 813408)
Eyup Snakehead.

Retlaw.

Just for Dave in Krautland.

What are you picking on for, just because none of you lot can talk proper don't blame me. There is more than one sort of dialect, depends on where you live.
After all thad am powfagged, as weel as thad a went aeut un geet witchered.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 10:54

Retlaw is right about the dialects.......in some part of lancashire a Moggy is a cat....in others it is a mouse.
Now the last sentence of Retlaws says he is tired/bothered and as well as that he went out and got himself cold(although some folks use witchered to mean cold and wet).

Retlaw 09-05-2010 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813541)
Retlaw is right about the dialects.......in some part of lancashire a Moggy is a cat....in others it is a mouse.
Now the last sentence of Retlaws says he is tired/bothered and as well as that he went out and got himself cold(although some folks use witchered to mean cold and wet).

Reaund ere Witchered is geddin thi feet wet, a trod in a puddle, n powfagged is worn euat. A cud u bin brasted. Bud am awreet neaw am back whum.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 11:44

yes Retlaw......witchered is derived from 'Wet shod'.......I like Lancashire dialect......my grandad spoke it well. In fact many people at the end of his life could not understand him at all.
it is sad that it is a dying dialect.

lancsdave 09-05-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 813514)
The reason that started is that Zak Dingle was born in Burnley, since when the shout of give us six as been heard regularly in Burnley town centre :D

Clearly they don't teach geography in Blackburn schools, he comes from Bury :rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 09-05-2010 12:30

Thanks all for the various takes on the regional differences, I can grasp most of it but occasionally a word or two is a tad bothersome & I can't work it out from the context, hence the suggestion of the "Accy Lexis Lingo" :)

If I hadn't had the translations :-

Powfagged :eek: Witchered :confused: sound rather alarming to us knowlessmen :D

Just looked again Brasted ?

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 12:34

'Brasted'....broken/burst/busted.

Retlaw 09-05-2010 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813547)
yes Retlaw......witchered is derived from 'Wet shod'.......I like Lancashire dialect......my grandad spoke it well. In fact many people at the end of his life could not understand him at all.

Tha reet Margaret, we me un fayther wur tawkin, very few others could understand what we were saying.
In other words wats yon two bletherin on abeaut.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 09-05-2010 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813555)
'Brasted'....broken/burst/busted.

Then thal av tu gu un gedid fettled.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 14:15

Aye, ged agait, and stop laikin!

jaysay 09-05-2010 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 813549)
Clearly they don't teach geography in Blackburn schools, he comes from Bury :rolleyes:

He was conceived in Burnley:D

jaysay 09-05-2010 14:43

Quote:

I'm sure Benita Moore wrote a book on Lancashire dialect, and I think Bob Dobson's. Landy Publishing printed it, wonder if they're out of stock now?

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 15:05

John, there would only be us old 'uns who would have an interest......maybe because we can clearly remember it being in daily use.

MargaretR 09-05-2010 15:19

I have two dialect books
Cheyp at t'Price-dialect verse
Lancashire Evergreens 'poems selected and edited by Joan Pomfret'

I also have Benita's book Gobbin Tales signed by her when given to my mother in 1987
..and In Mi Gobbinland Home by Derek Stanton

yerself 09-05-2010 16:33

A Knock on t’ Dooer

“Whooa’s knockin’ on t’ dooer et this time o’ neet?

- ‘e’s mekkin a ‘ell ev a din!

Whooaever id is, thur’s summat gone wrong –

‘owd on, mon! Aw’ll led tha in.”

Id wor throwin’ id deawn, an’ t’ streeat lamps wor eaut

An’ t’ wind id wor blowin’ a gale

An’ ‘eaulin’ an’ mooanin’ reaund t’ coorner o’ th’eause

Like a ghooast wi a pitiful tale.

Aw pushed back mi cheeor fro’ t’ coorner bi t’ fire

An’ slipped mi owd clogs on mi feeat –

An’ th’ ammerin’ went on like morther wor dun,

Wi’ a din as wod waken o’ t’ streeat.

Aw shoffled deawn t’ lobby an’ geet t’ t’ front-dooer,

Aw fombled wi’ bolts es wor teet,

But bi pushin’ an’ tuggin’ aw getten ‘em undun,

An’ aw opened t’ front-dooer t’t’ wet neet.

Theer, standin’ on t’ dooer-step, drenched reight through t’ t’ skin –

Baht jacket ner cooat – in o’ t’ wet,

Wor yong Jem McGinty fr’ nex’ dooer bu three –

“Whad’s up, lad? Tha deeath tha’ll shure ged.

‘e stood theer an’ gawked, wi’ ‘is meauth oppen wide,

Es though wards t’ ‘is lips wodn’d coom,

Sooa, aw tooak ‘im bi th’ arm, an’ feyrin’ the wost

Set ‘im deawn in a cheeor in t’ best rooam.

“Neaw, whad’s gooin’ on?” (when ‘e ‘d pooed ‘issel to) –

“Is th’ eause barnt, ‘r thi dad lost ‘is brass?”

But pluckin’ up courage, ‘e stommered id eaut –

“C-c-con’t l-l-lend us a p-p-ponny fo’ t’ g-g-gas?”

Mick o’ Pleasington

There's a few more of his poems here: http://www.hollytreefishandchips.co.uk/dialect.html. Fred Rose, alias Mick O' Pleasington, alias Fred Drag was my (and at least one other member on here) English teacher at secondary school.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 16:41

That'll have Dave inGermany proper flummoxed :D

Eric 09-05-2010 17:16

Quote:

I remember "witchered" ... although it used to sound more like "witchurt" ... 'cause I used to get my arse tanned when the puddles got in over the top of my wellies.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 17:29

and so you should :D

cashman 09-05-2010 18:08

one fer retlaw, no one else ive asked can remember, me nan always used to say, its ont "Benk" int yard. what was the original purpose of the "Benk"? can always remember me nans mangle next to it.:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 18:19

Cashy, was this 'benk' a stone bench kind of thing close by the back door.......my gran used to have one like this and she used to chop wood on hers......and in summer she would sit on it and peel the veggies or shell peas.......the dog used to be stood on it while she was combed too....it saved bending down.
My gran used to stand on it to talk to the neighbours over the backyard wall...or to borrow a cup of sugar or a drop of milk.

cashman 09-05-2010 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813626)
Cashy, was this 'benk' a stone bench kind of thing close by the back door.......my gran used to have one like this and she used to chop wood on hers......and in summer she would sit on it and peel the veggies or shell peas.......the dog used to be stood on it while she was combed too....it saved bending down.
My gran used to stand on it to talk to the neighbours over the backyard wall...or to borrow a cup of sugar or a drop of milk.

yep that was it margaret, glad someone else is civilised.:D was wondering what the "Original" purpose was?:confused: me nan used to put the mangled laundry in a basket on it.:)

DaveinGermany 09-05-2010 19:06

Have got the gist :) lad from 3 doors down had come to borrow a penny for the gas meter & the weather is right miserable ? like I say in general I get it but there specific words I'm curious about.

And who or what is a Gobbin :confused:

suedarbo 09-05-2010 19:09

My mum used to call me a gobbin when I used to fall over my own feet (still do after a few cans :D) I presume it means, clumsy, gormless etc

DaveinGermany 09-05-2010 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by suedarbo (Post 813640)
My mum used to call me a gobbin when I used to fall over my own feet (still do after a few cans :D) I presume it means, clumsy, gormless etc

Not sure you know Sue, in post #30 MargR mentions some books

In Mi Gobbinland Home & Gobbin Tales that would seem to indicate a place as opposed to an action. I don't know you may well be right & it also means what you suggest.:)

suedarbo 09-05-2010 20:16

Gobbinland is Oswaldtwistle I think. I know if you come from a certain part of Ossy you are called a Gobbiner. Sorry I must not have read the post right.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 20:26

Yes, you are right Sue you have to be born in a certain part of Oswaldtwistle to be a gobbiner.......I can never remember if it is above the lamp, or below it......but I am pretty sure someone will step up to the mark and tell us.

Mancie 09-05-2010 20:41

walked in a boozer I used in London some 25yrs ago and heard the phrase something like "hosti dowwin kek"...striaght off I got in the "fair t'middlin"..it was some lorry driver from Ossy.

MargaretR 09-05-2010 21:21

Gobbiners are those 'born above t'lamp'
The lamp was where the library is now.
'Above' means past the lamp heading towards the Black Dog

Mancie 09-05-2010 21:29

looks like I got it wrong.. should have been "osti fekklin" :D..and then t'bloke went t'bottom oftu t'stairs.. mind you he was Jamacian :D

DaveinGermany 10-05-2010 06:55

"Osti fekklin" :eek: What is that all about ? NEEEEEIL !!! When can you start that phrase book mate ???? :D

mattylad 10-05-2010 07:05

Zak Dingle lives (or lived) on Todmorden road in Burnley.

jaysay 10-05-2010 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 813708)
"Osti fekklin" :eek: What is that all about ? NEEEEEIL !!! When can you start that phrase book mate ???? :D

Think the rough translation Dave is "How are you feeling" or how are you going on:D

MITZY 10-05-2010 09:33

Another good book is More Reflections of Yesterday (A collection of dialect Poetry) written and Illustrated by Edna Baron

Retlaw 10-05-2010 17:06

Quote:

Dave.
It should have been written Eharti fettlin.
How are you feeling.
Eharti blowin, is the same.
Him as said it were malarkin abeaut.
Acting daft.

Ony ruad up, gi or wi thi moytherin, thal ner mayster Lanky, thas tu bi brout up wi id.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 10-05-2010 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZY (Post 813732)
Another good book is More Reflections of Yesterday (A collection of dialect Poetry) written and Illustrated by Edna Baron

A dorned need a buuk, any ruad them us rits um
carned tawk reit thursen.

Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 10-05-2010 17:32

Translation :- I don't need a book, anyway those who write them cannot talk right themselves.

DaveinGermany 10-05-2010 17:33

Thanks to all who've supplied translations, like I said the gist of it I can get, but then someone will come up with something or other that really gets me totally bemused & bewildered :)

Margaret Pilkington 10-05-2010 17:35

it is going to happen as there are lots of versions of the dialect...depending on where you were 'browt up'.

MargaretR 10-05-2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813809)
it is going to happen as there are lots of versions of the dialect...depending on where you were 'browt up'.

I agree - but would have said 'fetched up'

Margaret Pilkington 10-05-2010 17:40

that illustrates my point exactly...and that would be 'fotched up' :)

DaveinGermany 10-05-2010 18:04

In de pool, we woz brung up proper like !

Retlaw 10-05-2010 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 813810)
I agree - but would have said 'fetched up'

Should have put fotched up, but
in my case I wur punced up.
Retlaw.

Neil 10-05-2010 22:58

Quote:

Tell me how you want it to work then and I will have a go at making it not too confusing :D

steeljack 10-05-2010 23:45

What DaveinGermany doesn't realize is that at one time Accrington, Blackburn and Burnley all had different accents (easily recognizable if you were local), so I'm thinking someone talking Lancashire dialect from say Burnley would sound a bit different from someone from Blackburn (Blegburn)

steeljack 10-05-2010 23:56

I have a small book of poems in Lancashire dialect by a chap called John Sparth , Harcourt Rd. Accrington. called "Both Blood and Sheen " printed by F Dalton, 34 Bank st. Accrington, published by Wardleworths Bookshop, Blackburn Rd.

not sure about the rights and wrongs of scanning it and posting on here , maybe one the moderators can let me know . Thx.

Neil 11-05-2010 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 813892)
not sure about the rights and wrongs of scanning it and posting on here , maybe one the moderators can let me know . Thx.

It will be copyright so we can't have it on sorry.

DaveinGermany 11-05-2010 06:00

Not really sure if as SJ says there are variations & they're still used maybe multi entries, but I'd say for ease the most used.

English Lanky
How are you feeling Eharti fettlin

raised Brout up / Browt up/ fotched up

What are you Wodti

just an idea, you could also if you felt like it add the town/region along with the word/phrase.

sm_counsell 11-05-2010 09:15

I have never forgotten my Gran (pure Irish descent!) who lived in Clayton saying one day when talking about soemone who had died,
" They fun im yon petty doer"
Anyone feel like 'translating'??

jaysay 11-05-2010 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813809)

Don't you mean fotcht up Margaret:D

jaysay 11-05-2010 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 813919)
I have never forgotten my Gran (pure Irish descent!) who lived in Clayton saying one day when talking about soemone who had died,
" They fun im yon petty doer"
Anyone feel like 'translating'??

Think she could have meant "they found him behind the toilet door" but god knows:D

Margaret Pilkington 11-05-2010 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 813926)
Don't you mean fotcht up Margaret:D

Yes, John, I think I put that as an alternative in another post.......and as for your translation....I think you are spot on with it.

sm_counsell 11-05-2010 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 813927)
Think she could have meant "they found him behind the toilet door" but god knows:D

You're right Jaysay, that's exactly what it means!

sm_counsell 11-05-2010 16:37

Just found this in a book about Ossie:

sm_counsell 11-05-2010 16:43

Sorry, sent off before I finished.
This is what I found.

"Of all the matches played for years,
This fairly put the tin hat on:
Aw'msure those fooak fra Accrington
will feel reet deawn an'sat on.
For every mon sent deawn to bat,
An thowt thad ball he'd thump,
Seemed to come wi'th toothwarch
Then Winyard drew his stumps.

Win-yerd 'em talk on th' cricket game
Us lads as comes from Church,
But we allus find a good un to,
To fotch em off their perch"

Sister Mary Catherine(Paddock House) used to tap us on the head with a long ruler, if she heard even just a hint of ossie dialect, so unfortunately I'm losing out.
I suggest Cashman does some on-line lessons.

garinda 12-05-2010 07:19

Quote:

As Retlaw said, it means 'How are you?'.

fettle - definition of fettle by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

It was widely used around here because most mills employed fettlers, whose job was to maintain machinery in good working order.

DaveinGermany 12-05-2010 07:24

Aye, Aye, Welcome back the Rindster !! :)

garinda 12-05-2010 07:38

Another word which produced blank stares, when I told people in London to stop doing it, was mithering.

mither - definition of mither by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

:D

Mancie 12-05-2010 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 814127)
Another word which produced blank stares, when I told people in London to stop doing it, was mithering.

mither - definition of mither by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

We know a song about that.
from a local group The Fall (I reckon they must have been from Sabden or some low life gaff like Huncoat)

The Fall : C'n'c-s Mithering Lyrics

You think you've got it bad with thin ties,
miserable songs synthesized, or circles with A in the middle.
Make joke records, hang out with Gary Bushell,
Join round table. "I like your single yer great!"
A circle of low IQ's.
there are three rules of audience.
my journalist acquaintances, go soft, go places,
so stop mithering
They say "See yer mate..Yeh...see yer mate"
To their mothers they sing
stop mithering
He's not your enemy.
He's not your enemy, his name is not Harry.
The secret of Cash and Carry.
so stop mithering

makes alot of sense when you think about it ;) :D

Mancie 12-05-2010 08:27

Ok after loads of requests here are the full lyrics of The Fall- Mithering..

Three days
Three months
Three days
Three months
A treatise
A treatise
To explain these
First was cash 'n' carry house dance
In Lancashire they're A
In King Nat Ltd. empire
Kwik Save is there
The scene started here
Then was America
Then was America
We went there
Big A&M Herb was there**
His offices had fresh air
But his rota was mediocre
US purge, rock 'n' pop filth
Their material's filched
And the secret of their lives
Is...
All the English groups
Act like peasants with free milk
On a route
On a route to the loot
To candy mountain
Five wacky English proletariat idiots
Californians always think of sex
Or think of death
Five hundred girl deaths
A Mexico revenge, it's stolen land
They really get it off on
"Don't hurt me please"
Rapist fill the TVs
And the secret of their lives
Is S.E.X..
I have dreams, I can see
Carloads of negro Nazis
Like Faust with beards
Hydrochloric shaved weirds
[Applause from audience at Cyprus Tavern ]
This was going to be called crap rap fourteen,
but it's now Stop Mithering.
The things that drain you off and drive you off the hinge.
Boils, dirty socks, the ceilings collapse.
The Sunday morning loud lawn mower,
the upstairs Jewish girl damn hoovering, with valium cig
withdrawal.
She wants communal, fluent flat household.
I want privacy.
The bastard dentist doctors surgery,
Clip, clop, ring, knock, ring
Stop mithering***
The estates stick up like stacks
The estates stick up like stacks
The residents keep wild dogs
And on that father's bedroom closet top,
electric blanket boxes
Surplus jonnies, demob pictures
To their children they sing
Stop mithering
You think you've got it bad with thin ties,
miserable songs synthesized, or circles with A in the middle.
Make joke records, hang out with Gary Bushell,
Join round table. "I like your single yer great!"
A circle of low IQ's.
There are three rules of audience.
My journalist acquaintances, go soft, go places,
on record company expenses.
I lose humor, manners become bog writers, don't know it.
The smart hedonists, same as last verse, allusions with
H in electronics, on stage false histrionics,
Corpse mauling dicks, pose to a good film, him, him
Stop mithering
I'm not joining conventional rock band.
The conventional is experimental, the conventional is now
experimental,
And is no way noble, and I'm no chock stock thing.
So stop mithering.
Engineers save up for cars.
I try to let down their tyres with matches to make them molten.
Ouch! Ouch!
They say I rip off Johnny Rotten
They always strike for more pay.
They say "See yer mate..Yeh...see yer mate"
To their mothers they sing
Stop mithering
Even the drowned penile tissue test.
He hangs out for sex.
He enters magazine contest.
White tan horror in the mirror.
Spotty exterior hides a spotty interior.
He's not your enemy.
He's not your enemy, his name is not Harry.
The secret of Cash and Carry.
[* MES writes this about C'n'C in the Lough Press book:
"C'N'C Stop Mithering contains references to i.e. free adverts
for Kwik Save and King Nat Ltd, an area of cash and carry
warehouses near Manchester town centre--see we advertise free
for these, so don't try the anti-commercial crap bit on us,
sonny boy. It's post-Hollywood, a place described by actor
Robert Donat as one big Ideal Home Exhibition."]
[** "Big A&M Herb" is a reference to Herb Albert. ed.]
[*** "Mithering" is northern British slang for whining. ed.]

Margaret Pilkington 12-05-2010 08:33

Moidered...(as in give o'er moidering me)is another version of mithered......and Oined means badly treated(as in 'tha looks oined')...well, those are the meanings where I come from...they may have other meanings in other localities...or there may even be other words for them.

MargaretR 12-05-2010 09:17

I remember it as moithering

cashman 12-05-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 814140)
Moidered...(as in give o'er moidering me)is another version of mithered......and Oined means badly treated(as in 'tha looks oined')...well, those are the meanings where I come from...they may have other meanings in other localities...or there may even be other words for them.

Yandeed.:D

MargaretR 12-05-2010 09:29

Powfagged - has applied to me often in the past few years

tired/knackered

jaysay 12-05-2010 10:35

Mi oud gran usd to call mi gormless
Nout much as changed:D

cashman 12-05-2010 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 814188)
Mi oud gran usd to call mi gormless
Nout much as changed:D

splendid woman.:tongueout

garinda 12-05-2010 10:37

It's been mentioned in other threads, but travel fifty miles and no one knows what mard means.

Margaret Pilkington 12-05-2010 10:37

gormless is 'simple' 'dim' 'thoughtless' a 'ponheyd'...which although never explained to me i took it to mean no more sense than a saucepan.
This thread could run and run :D

Margaret Pilkington 12-05-2010 10:38

'Mard'....a softy.....a wimp.....a cry baby.

garinda 12-05-2010 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 814191)
splendid woman.:tongueout

Perhaps his granny was French.

Gormless - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It would explain a lot.

garinda 12-05-2010 10:43

My gran used to call me Fanackapan, which I've just seen is a term of endearment, and I always though meant little sod.

Fanackapan - The People's Dictionary

MargaretR 12-05-2010 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 814195)
Perhaps his granny was French.

Gormless - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It would explain a lot.

Where do you get a french connection?:confused:
'norse' = scandinavian

garinda 12-05-2010 10:45

It wasn't until much later in life that a bedroon refered to as a bomzit, was actually two words.

:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 12-05-2010 10:45

I used to get called that too...but mine was Fanny Fanackapan....and sometimes lily slapcabbage or arraminta...I answered to all of them.

garinda 12-05-2010 10:46

garinda 12-05-2010 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 814201)
Where do you get a french connection?:confused:
'norse' = scandinavian

Lol, oops, sorry, you're right.

Was looking at two words at the same time.

:o

MargaretR 12-05-2010 10:51

My dad called me his prairie flower

growing wilder every hour:D

garinda 12-05-2010 10:53

The funniest local use of local dialect is gate.

She was a gate.

MargaretR 12-05-2010 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 814214)
The funniest local use of local dialect is gate.

She was a gate.

Spelt 'agait'
..used by Emily Bronte
"Well, Mr Earnshaw", she cried, "I wonder what you'll have agait next?"

jaysay 12-05-2010 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 814198)
My gran used to call me Fanackapan, which I've just seen is a term of endearment, and I always though meant little sod.

Fanackapan - The People's Dictionary

Ya Garinda but I always heard it with Fanny before it:rolleyes: As in Fanny Fanackapan:D

jaysay 12-05-2010 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 814204)
I used to get called that too...but mine was Fanny Fanackapan....and sometimes lily slapcabbage or arraminta...I answered to all of them.

Slapcabbage:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38: stop it off will ya, I've got a weak bladder:D

garinda 12-05-2010 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 814218)
Ya Garinda but I always heard it with Fanny before it:rolleyes: As in Fanny Fanackapan:D

My nan knew I was no Fanny.

Unlike your's, knowing you were one.

garinda 12-05-2010 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 814216)
Spelt 'agait'
..used by Emily Bronte
"Well, Mr Earnshaw", she cried, "I wonder what you'll have agait next?"

Surely that is an abridged against?

Locally 'a gate' means 'said'.

She was agate, blah, blah, blah.

garinda 12-05-2010 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 814235)
Surely that is an abridged against?

Locally 'a gate' means 'said'.

She was agate, blah, blah, blah.

agate - on about
Trouble at mill, lancashire,dialect,recipes

MargaretR 12-05-2010 11:23

I recall using the word agait in a street game.
The words 'ged agait' was the signal for the game to start whereby we ran off and hid from the one who was 'it' and said it.