Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16   #1
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Come again ? or what does that mean !

Now as this site is Accy based the occasional word or comment will slip in which is locally understood but for us "foreigners" we sit here scratching our heads wondering "what does that mean ?". Prime example Dingle, now I've seen this a few times in threads & have deduced it refers to "A resident of Burnley". Obviously a modern entry into the "Lanky" Dialect but amusing non the less.

What I would like to know is it possible to have a local reference page on here which could be accessible for dialect & slang terms used, a sort of ready reference centre for all ? The main focus of course would be on Lancashire dialect, but the occasional input of a word or term from the farther flung reaches of the Lancashire (present & former) colonies could be added(here I refer to my spiritual home Liverpool). I'm sure there are others who could add a wealth of vernacular & patois from their Native homes.

If you like an Accy Web "Encyclopaedia Lexis Lingo" of which we all may dip into from time to time for our own understanding & education ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2010, 11:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Come again ? or what does that mean !

LOL Dave. 'Course you could always P.M. Cashy or Retlaw, these are the professors on our local dialect...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL Dave. 'Course you could always P.M. Cashy or Retlaw, these are the professors on our local dialect...
I think you have Cashy wrong, jibberish is not a dialect
Old 08-05-2010, 13:48   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Ah yes, of course, thanks for the correction Dave..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 14:04   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

This could be done with people posting the words and definitions in a thread and I could keep adding them to the first post in alphabetical order as and when I get time. This way we would have one post with all the words in. I suppose I could delete each post with a new word in once the word has been added the the first post.

What do you all think?
Which section would it best fit under?
Old 08-05-2010, 14:15   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Buy, Sell & Swap... which some people seem to think is Accy dialect for 'Lets rip people off and make a fast buck'
Old 08-05-2010, 20:38   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Neither is double Dutch, but its the main language for some on here.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:45   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 23:09   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This could be done with people posting the words and definitions in a thread and I could keep adding them to the first post in alphabetical order as and when I get time. This way we would have one post with all the words in. I suppose I could delete each post with a new word in once the word has been added the the first post.

What do you all think?
Sounds like a plan to me as to the section, well here would be about right surely ? And you can start by translating Retlaws "Wodti", the rest I believe I've got, cheers
Old 08-05-2010, 23:39   #10
God Member

You can get translation sites by googling. This one appears pucker
Lancashire Dialects

ps - wodti = what do you?/why do you?/why are you?

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-05-2010 at 23:42.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:11   #11

Wodti would translate as, what are you picking on me for. Reading that really makes me miss my dad, he always used to say to me, Nah then wodti up tay

Sorry margaret I didn't see your post above, I need my eyes testing

Last edited by suedarbo; 09-05-2010 at 04:18.
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17   #12

I've done something wrong above just ignore me.........
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:43   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Many thanks Marg R & Sue, I was aware of various translation-decipher sites but thought well why not get it from "The Horse's mouth" so to speak, as they say it's a local site, for local people, so who better to ask about their dialect ? Added to that there are those of us who are further flung & we could maybe add a word or two, should we use a colloquialism, which may be unusual to the majority of viewers.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:09   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany
Prime example Dingle, now I've seen this a few times in threads & have deduced it refers to "A resident of Burnley".
Originally it was a derogatory term used by fans of Blackburn Rovers to describe Burnley fans. It is now, as you say, used to refer to Burnley residents or natives of Burnley. In the midlands West Brom fans call Wolves fans Dingles.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:25   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.
You sound like a Newfie
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..