Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Come again ? or what does that mean ! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/come-again-or-what-does-that-mean-53125.html)

DaveinGermany 08-05-2010 11:16

Come again ? or what does that mean !

Now as this site is Accy based the occasional word or comment will slip in which is locally understood but for us "foreigners" we sit here scratching our heads wondering "what does that mean ?". Prime example Dingle, now I've seen this a few times in threads & have deduced it refers to "A resident of Burnley". Obviously a modern entry into the "Lanky" Dialect but amusing non the less.

What I would like to know is it possible to have a local reference page on here which could be accessible for dialect & slang terms used, a sort of ready reference centre for all ? The main focus of course would be on Lancashire dialect, but the occasional input of a word or term from the farther flung reaches of the Lancashire (present & former) colonies could be added(here I refer to my spiritual home Liverpool). I'm sure there are others who could add a wealth of vernacular & patois from their Native homes.

If you like an Accy Web "Encyclopaedia Lexis Lingo" of which we all may dip into from time to time for our own understanding & education ? :)

katex 08-05-2010 11:30

Re: Come again ? or what does that mean !

LOL Dave. 'Course you could always P.M. Cashy or Retlaw, these are the professors on our local dialect... :D:D

lancsdave 08-05-2010 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 813218)
LOL Dave. 'Course you could always P.M. Cashy or Retlaw, these are the professors on our local dialect... :D:D

I think you have Cashy wrong, jibberish is not a dialect :D

katex 08-05-2010 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 813228)

Ah yes, of course, thanks for the correction Dave.. :D

Neil 08-05-2010 14:04

This could be done with people posting the words and definitions in a thread and I could keep adding them to the first post in alphabetical order as and when I get time. This way we would have one post with all the words in. I suppose I could delete each post with a new word in once the word has been added the the first post.

What do you all think?
Which section would it best fit under?

lancsdave 08-05-2010 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 813257)

Buy, Sell & Swap... which some people seem to think is Accy dialect for 'Lets rip people off and make a fast buck'

Retlaw 08-05-2010 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 813228)

Neither is double Dutch, but its the main language for some on here.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 08-05-2010 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 813218)

Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.

DaveinGermany 08-05-2010 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 813257)
This could be done with people posting the words and definitions in a thread and I could keep adding them to the first post in alphabetical order as and when I get time. This way we would have one post with all the words in. I suppose I could delete each post with a new word in once the word has been added the the first post.

What do you all think?

Sounds like a plan to me :) as to the section, well here would be about right surely ? And you can start by translating Retlaws "Wodti", the rest I believe I've got, cheers :D

MargaretR 08-05-2010 23:39

You can get translation sites by googling. This one appears pucker
Lancashire Dialects

ps - wodti = what do you?/why do you?/why are you?

suedarbo 09-05-2010 04:11

Wodti would translate as, what are you picking on me for. Reading that really makes me miss my dad, he always used to say to me, Nah then wodti up tay:D

Sorry margaret I didn't see your post above, I need my eyes testing

suedarbo 09-05-2010 04:17

:confused:I've done something wrong above just ignore me.........:confused::eek:

DaveinGermany 09-05-2010 07:43

Many thanks Marg R & Sue, I was aware of various translation-decipher sites but thought well why not get it from "The Horse's mouth" so to speak, as they say it's a local site, for local people, so who better to ask about their dialect ? Added to that there are those of us who are further flung :) & we could maybe add a word or two, should we use a colloquialism, which may be unusual to the majority of viewers.

yerself 09-05-2010 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany
Prime example Dingle, now I've seen this a few times in threads & have deduced it refers to "A resident of Burnley".

Originally it was a derogatory term used by fans of Blackburn Rovers to describe Burnley fans. It is now, as you say, used to refer to Burnley residents or natives of Burnley. In the midlands West Brom fans call Wolves fans Dingles.

Eric 09-05-2010 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 813408)
Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.

You sound like a Newfie:eek::D