Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Come again ? or what does that mean ! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/come-again-or-what-does-that-mean-53125.html)

jaysay 09-05-2010 09:30

Re: Come again ? or what does that mean !

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 813503)
Originally it was a derogatory term used by fans of Blackburn Rovers to describe Burnley fans. It is now, as you say, used to refer to Burnley residents or natives of Burnley. In the midlands West Brom fans call Wolves fans Dingles.

The reason that started is that Zak Dingle was born in Burnley, since when the shout of give us six as been heard regularly in Burnley town centre :D

Retlaw 09-05-2010 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 813408)
Eyup Snakehead.

Wodti pickin on me fur, jus cus non o yaw lot con tawk reight dorned blame me. Thurs muer ner one suert o dialect depends on where tha lives.
Retlaw.

Just for Dave in Krautland.

What are you picking on for, just because none of you lot can talk proper don't blame me. There is more than one sort of dialect, depends on where you live.
After all thad am powfagged, as weel as thad a went aeut un geet witchered.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 10:54

Retlaw is right about the dialects.......in some part of lancashire a Moggy is a cat....in others it is a mouse.
Now the last sentence of Retlaws says he is tired/bothered and as well as that he went out and got himself cold(although some folks use witchered to mean cold and wet).

Retlaw 09-05-2010 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813541)
Retlaw is right about the dialects.......in some part of lancashire a Moggy is a cat....in others it is a mouse.
Now the last sentence of Retlaws says he is tired/bothered and as well as that he went out and got himself cold(although some folks use witchered to mean cold and wet).

Reaund ere Witchered is geddin thi feet wet, a trod in a puddle, n powfagged is worn euat. A cud u bin brasted. Bud am awreet neaw am back whum.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 11:44

yes Retlaw......witchered is derived from 'Wet shod'.......I like Lancashire dialect......my grandad spoke it well. In fact many people at the end of his life could not understand him at all.
it is sad that it is a dying dialect.

lancsdave 09-05-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 813514)
The reason that started is that Zak Dingle was born in Burnley, since when the shout of give us six as been heard regularly in Burnley town centre :D

Clearly they don't teach geography in Blackburn schools, he comes from Bury :rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 09-05-2010 12:30

Thanks all for the various takes on the regional differences, I can grasp most of it but occasionally a word or two is a tad bothersome & I can't work it out from the context, hence the suggestion of the "Accy Lexis Lingo" :)

If I hadn't had the translations :-

Powfagged :eek: Witchered :confused: sound rather alarming to us knowlessmen :D

Just looked again Brasted ?

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 12:34

'Brasted'....broken/burst/busted.

Retlaw 09-05-2010 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813547)
yes Retlaw......witchered is derived from 'Wet shod'.......I like Lancashire dialect......my grandad spoke it well. In fact many people at the end of his life could not understand him at all.

Tha reet Margaret, we me un fayther wur tawkin, very few others could understand what we were saying.
In other words wats yon two bletherin on abeaut.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 09-05-2010 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813555)
'Brasted'....broken/burst/busted.

Then thal av tu gu un gedid fettled.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 14:15

Aye, ged agait, and stop laikin!

jaysay 09-05-2010 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 813549)
Clearly they don't teach geography in Blackburn schools, he comes from Bury :rolleyes:

He was conceived in Burnley:D

jaysay 09-05-2010 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 813547)

I'm sure Benita Moore wrote a book on Lancashire dialect, and I think Bob Dobson's. Landy Publishing printed it, wonder if they're out of stock now?

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2010 15:05

John, there would only be us old 'uns who would have an interest......maybe because we can clearly remember it being in daily use.

MargaretR 09-05-2010 15:19

I have two dialect books
Cheyp at t'Price-dialect verse
Lancashire Evergreens 'poems selected and edited by Joan Pomfret'

I also have Benita's book Gobbin Tales signed by her when given to my mother in 1987
..and In Mi Gobbinland Home by Derek Stanton