Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   When is the 2nd Coming - Coming? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/when-is-the-2nd-coming-coming-64075.html)

JCB 27-04-2013 11:41

Re: When is the 2nd Coming - Coming?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1055791)
Wish someone could explain to me,what or how can yeh have a "Virgin Birth"?:confused:

I don't think anyone can explain it to you , Cashman .

By demonstration I can explain to you how a creature from the sea and vegetables out of the earth can become a plate of fish and chips with mushy peas .

It will take some time and patience for someone to explain to me how by the click of a button this post within an instant is going to be able to be read throughout most of the world . My technology skills and scientific knowledge are so poor that it will take a very patient and skillful teacher to explain it to me , but I think that it can be done .

As for the Virgin Birth of Jesus , we are in a totally different realm which is outside of our normal contexts of space and time . And there is so much that has to be presupposed before a start can be made in explaining it , and the explanation will be in a language more akin to poetry than prose . Jesus said : " I am the truth . " If that basic presupposition is not accepted , then any explanation is not going to be possible .

In the words of C.S. Lewis : " A man who said the sort of things Jesus said , well this man is the Son of God , or else a madman , or something worse . You must make your choice . "

So it comes down to one's own convictions , and many within Christianity accept much of what they see as the truth of Jesus , but they will argue about things such as the Virgin Birth , certain miracles etc. So it can be complicated or for some quite simple . I envy the latter . I am one who has to question everything , who believes an element of agnosticism is no bad thing , and it can be a struggle . But in the end I keep coming back to certain convictions and make the choice to believe . That's when the real battle begins because I have then to live by the challenges my beliefs put before me , or be a hypocrite .

Retlaw 27-04-2013 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1055801)
What makes me smile more than anything is this thing that Muslim martyrs believe, that killing themselves in the name of Allah, the reward is 72 virgins and Rivers of honey, that should tell any would be candidates its a bit of a misnomer especially the 72 virgins bit:D

How did these so called virgins manage to stay virgins long enough to get to the place where these martyrs are gonna end up. I think some bodies telling porkies, and these martyrs are too gullible to rationalise whats being told them.

kestrelx 27-04-2013 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1055855)

By demonstration I can explain to you how a creature from the sea and vegetables out of the earth can become a plate of fish and chips with mushy peas .

It will take some time and patience for someone to explain to me how by the click of a button this post within an instant is going to be able to be read throughout most of the world . My technology skills and scientific knowledge are so poor that it will take a very patient and skillful teacher to explain it to me , but I think that it can be done .

As for the Virgin Birth of Jesus , we are in a totally different realm which is outside of our normal contexts of space and time . And there is so much that has to be presupposed before a start can be made in explaining it , and the explanation will be in a language more akin to poetry than prose . Jesus said : " I am the truth . " If that basic presupposition is not accepted , then any explanation is not going to be possible .

In the words of C.S. Lewis : " A man who said the sort of things Jesus said , well this man is the Son of God , or else a madman , or something worse . You must make your choice . "

So it comes down to one's own convictions , and many within Christianity accept much of what they see as the truth of Jesus , but they will argue about things such as the Virgin Birth , certain miracles etc. So it can be complicated or for some quite simple . I envy the latter . I am one who has to question everything , who believes an element of agnosticism is no bad thing , and it can be a struggle . But in the end I keep coming back to certain convictions and make the choice to believe . That's when the real battle begins because I have then to live by the challenges my beliefs put before me , or be a hypocrite .

I just don't believe it! Why bother having a birth at all? If god sent down his only "son" then why bother coming through a womans body? Why not just manifest with out that hassle of sitting in a womb for 9 months or what ever length of time he was supposed to be in it for?

You can try and explain this from a scientific point of view if you can seriously believe this or just accept the concept is ridiculous.

It is easy to explain how fish and chips got to be fish and chips - as it is to explain the "so-called" virgin birth.

Fact is when Millions of people believe in a load of fantasy then you get these people blowing themselves up and doing nasty things to others in the name of their "illusionary" gods.

DtheP47 27-04-2013 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1055855)

Virtually all religions hold some supernatural beliefs specific to that religion. That is, a religions adherents firmly hold beliefs that conflict with and cannot be confirmed by our experience of the natural world, and that appear implausible to people other than those adherents to that particular religion. No other feature of religion creates a bigger divide between modern secular peoples and believers.

Margaret Pilkington 27-04-2013 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1055873)
I just don't believe it! Why bother having a birth at all? If god sent down his only "son" then why bother coming through a womans body? Why not just manifest with out that hassle of sitting in a womb for 9 months or what ever length of time he was supposed to be in it for?

You can try and explain this from a scientific point of view if you can seriously believe this or just accept the concept is ridiculous.

It is easy to explain how fish and chips got to be fish and chips - as it is to explain the "so-called" virgin birth.

Fact is when Millions of people believe in a load of fantasy then you get these people blowing themselves up and doing nasty things to others in the name of their "illusionary" gods.

One word......Faith.......believing the unbelievable(which, those who have no faith, will refer to as fantasy).
Man is arrogant to think he can explain away everything by scientific methods.......faith defies science.

jaysay 27-04-2013 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1055836)
Wii, After watching the Wigan clip of David Icke I think I'm now a Belieber !!

You mean you've wasted 9 minutes of your precious life watching that whack job, thought you'd more oil in your lamp that that WEL:)

jaysay 27-04-2013 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1055857)
How did these so called virgins manage to stay virgins long enough to get to the place where these martyrs are gonna end up. I think some bodies telling porkies, and these martyrs are too gullible to rationalise whats being told them.

Well its those good God fearing Muslim men who groom young white girls to save the hoards of virgins for the hereafter what does it Walter:rolleyes:

jaysay 27-04-2013 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1055877)
One word......Faith.......believing the unbelievable(which, those who have no faith, will refer to as fantasy).
Man is arrogant to think he can explain away everything by scientific methods.......faith defies science.

Well your namesake will have the answer Margaret and a link to go with it no doubt:rolleyes:

accyman 27-04-2013 16:07

Quote:

What makes me smile more than anything is this thing that Muslim martyrs believe, that killing themselves in the name of Allah, the reward is 72 virgins and Rivers of honey, that should tell any would be candidates its a bit of a misnomer especially the 72 virgins bit:D

its a mistranslation it turns out they get 72 virginians

most likely get beat up in their after life for been murdering bastards :)

susie123 27-04-2013 17:42

Quote:

To give us the pleasure of spendijg loadsa money once a year on useess tat and masses of food to celebrate his birthday then we can all be in debt for the rest of the year before we start again. See, God invented the credit crunch to keep him self amused.

JCB 27-04-2013 17:59

Quote:

Neither do I believe in these "illusuionary" gods .

I can't see why you don't free yourself and stop wasting your time in disbelieving in a god which traditional Christians don't accept either .

Eric 27-04-2013 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1055829)

There is a trend amongst younger men to prefer older women (cougars) who can teach them the ropes.

It's not just young men; I like to be tied up too:alright:

Restless 27-04-2013 18:41

If you wanna know just how crazy icke can get... watch Icke and Vusamazulu Credo Mutwa videos... my what a laugh

Restless 27-04-2013 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1055829)

There is a trend amongst younger men to prefer older women (cougars) who can teach them the ropes.

Not trying to tell us something (or advertising?) :eek: :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1055877)

I disagree. IMO Everything can be explained by science.

Less 27-04-2013 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1055939)
Not trying to tell us something (or advertising?) :eek: :p

I disagree. IMO Everything can be explained by science.

O.K. Mr. Science Geek Explain this one:-

How come Jaysay breaks every spell checker he uses?
:confused:

Eric 27-04-2013 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1055942)

They crumble under the awesome power of his malapropic genius.:D

Restless 27-04-2013 20:34

Internet explorer. Cannot break what is already (expletive deleted)

Restless 27-04-2013 21:27

Also I don't consider myself anywhere near a science geek- I am nowhere near that intelligent :D Just that I think everything can be explained or thought out if the right tools are available- without the god bollocks

jaysay 28-04-2013 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1055909)
To give us the pleasure of spending loadsamoney once a year on useless tat and masses of food to celebrate his birthday then we can all be in debt for the rest of the year before we start again. See, God invented the credit crunch to keep him self amused.

There's no need to go into debt at Christmas, live within your means instead of keeping up with the Jones, I've had used a Credit Card for over 25 years and I've never paid one penny interest in that time, because I only use it as a convenience purposes and not buying something I can't afford at the time of buying. Think I had a good teacher in my Mother really, she didn't believe in debt either, there was no never, never in out home when I was growing up and there's never been any in my home either.

jaysay 28-04-2013 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1055942)

Sod all wrong with the spell checkers its my eyesight that's the problem, mind you this one on windows 8 is probably the best one there's been, it corrects as you type:mosher:

Margaret Pilkington 28-04-2013 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1056021)
There's no need to go into debt at Christmas, live within your means instead of keeping up with the Jones, I've had used a Credit Card for over 25 years and I've never paid one penny interest in that time, because I only use it as a convenience purposes and not buying something I can't afford at the time of buying. Think I had a good teacher in my Mother really, she didn't believe in debt either, there was no never, never in out home when I was growing up and there's never been any in my home either.

That is spot on John.
I have never gone into debt to fund christmas....and never would.....and Yes, my Ma is responsible for my attitude to debt, like yours John. It is common sense...except such sense isn't really that common.

cashman 28-04-2013 09:41

Funny we all seem to be around same age,that don't go into hock,as well as mam taught us, not being stupid is also a factor i think.;)

westendlass 28-04-2013 12:08

Quote:

Let's hope they find they've been turned in to eunuchs when they finally get there !

DtheP47 28-04-2013 15:33

Atheism works for me, it's a non prophet organisation. :)

Eric 28-04-2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1056021)

Funny how these habits stay with you. I still haven't got into the habit of shopping American style .... you know, at the Supermarket or Walmart. And I shop almost day to day (well, maybe 3 days to 3 days;)) I get my meat from a real butcher, shop for canned stuff and frozen stuff (most of the stuff I have in my freezer, I shot or caught myself:D) at Giant Tiger, get spices, carbolic soap, and real peanut butter at Tara Foods .... etc. etc. Some folks just head out to Walmart Super Store ... You can go in bare assed and come out fully clothed and wearing a condom, with a year's worth of groceries, a canoe, fishing gear, t.v. ... (but no guns and ammo ... this ain't America:D) ... And if something is working well, I don't toss it to get the latest version.

I know this is a whole different topic, but what happened to values of thrift and common sense? When the hell did they get lost? And where are they now?:confused: And I don't think this is mere nostalgia. In a sense, they are the platform of most major political parties, if you see what I mean.

cashman 28-04-2013 18:17

Eric mate if summats working well n someone tosses it to get the latest version, That constitutes a knobhead in my book.;)

jaysay 28-04-2013 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056147)
Eric mate if summats working well n someone tosses it to get the latest version, That constitutes a knobhead in my book.;)

Looks like you've got the same book as me Cashy;)

Eric 28-04-2013 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056147)

And Apple makes billions out of those knobheads.

kestrelx 29-04-2013 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1055738)
“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”
― George Carlin

Good quote. Even the US President Obama has to pretend to believe in God. You wouldn't get voted in, in the USA if you said you didn't believe in God. Obama even said on the News, when there was that shooting at a school that "god had chosen to take them to heaven!" That's not exactly what he said but the gist of it is correct - so the President was displaying irrrational thought processes! :rolleyes:;)

cashman 29-04-2013 13:36

Disagree it aint irrational thinking to protect yer job.;)

kestrelx 29-04-2013 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056274)
Disagree it aint irrational thinking to protect yer job.;)

Do you remember your R.E. teacher? Mine was called Mr Ben! :) He was protecting his job as well! ;)

cashman 29-04-2013 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1056276)
Do you remember your R.E. teacher? Mine was called Mr Ben! :)

Didn't have one, was a catholic at a prod school. so we were kept out of assembly n such stuff.:)

Less 29-04-2013 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056277)
Didn't have one, was a catholic at a prod school. so we were kept out of assembly n such stuff.:)

Nah, you weren't kept out of assembly, we were forced into it!

You were lucky.
:D

DtheP47 29-04-2013 13:55

Quote:

Yeah never knew what you lot got upto while we were a hymning and a praying ;)

cashman 29-04-2013 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1056281)
Yeah never knew what you lot got upto while we were a hymning and a praying ;)

We were in that classroom that was stepped, wi the art teacher who wasn't exactly ugly, beats hymning n praying.:D Though on occasions Flash Gordon would take us.

jaysay 29-04-2013 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056282)
We were in that classroom that was stepped, wi the art teacher who wasn't exactly ugly, beats hymning n praying.:D Though on occasions Flash Gordon would take us.

Is that Flash Gordon savior of the universe Cashy:D

DaveinGermany 29-04-2013 17:30

Quote:

so we were kept out .:)

Which then set the tone for the rest of your days? ;)

jaysay 29-04-2013 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1056311)

His days aren't over yet by a long chalk Dave, he's a lot more mischief to get up to before the pearly gates mate:D Even then Peter won't be safe:eek:

Less 29-04-2013 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1056311)

No, he moved up to gate-crashing,

Then,

Took his finals in being thrown out.

cashman 29-04-2013 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1056316)
No, he moved up to gate-crashing,

Then,

Took his finals in being thrown out.

And passed wi flying colours.:D

Less 29-04-2013 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056318)
And passed wi flying colours.:D

With no remission.

Sorry,

EDIT...

no revision

jaysay 29-04-2013 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1056322)
With no remission.

Sorry,

EDIT...

no revision

You were right the first time:D

DtheP47 29-04-2013 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056282)
We were in that classroom that was stepped, wi the art teacher who wasn't exactly ugly,

Must have been those clinic glasses Mr C.......... rose tinted eh?...or maybe your testosterone. ;)

kestrelx 01-05-2013 10:29

Quote:

I don't recall our assembly being that religious - not very much at all! ;)

Less 01-05-2013 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1056704)
I don't recall our assembly being that religious - not very much at all! ;)

Probably the drug's...

Restless 01-05-2013 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1056727)
Probably the drug's...

Nah- That might've made assembly a little more interesting than it was

kestrelx 03-05-2013 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1056727)
Probably the drug's...

My memory is good - fact is our assembly wasn't that religious at all!:rolleyes: We may have sung a few hymns at times but I don't think there was much "bible bashing!" ;)

DtheP47 07-05-2013 09:13

Weekend reading**

The author observes that the least religious societies, such as Scandinavia, are the healthiest, most equitable and the least violent but they also tend to have the lowest birth rates with the consequence that they are likely to be out bred by the more devout nations, which have more crime, more infant deaths and less social mobility.

** The Serpents Promise: The Bible Retold as Science by Steve Jones

cashman 07-05-2013 09:29

Seems like a valid observation to me, Birth rate though in those places may just be cos its that sodding expensive to live yon?:confused:

egg&chips 07-05-2013 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1057756)
Weekend reading**

The author observes that the least religious societies, such as Scandinavia, are the healthiest, most equitable and the least violent but they also tend to have the lowest birth rates with the consequence that they are likely to be out bred by the more devout nations, which have more crime, more infant deaths and less social mobility.

** The Serpents Promise: The Bible Retold as Science by Steve Jones

Does the author explain why such countries have lower birth rates?