Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Smoking (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/smoking-8153.html)

Acrylic-bob 28-02-2005 08:00

Smoking

Ok the time has come for me to bite the bullet, as it were, and give up the weed. For two reasons really, the main reason is the cost, at nearly five pounds a packet this is getting ridiculous. The second reason has to do with work, it would be easier if I didn't smoke.

So, does anyone have any favoured methods of giving up or easing the agony? Please bear in mind that I have done gum and patches and medication all to little or no effect.

If I can get over the first three days without giving in it will be plain sailing, it is just getting over that first three days. The incompetant and idle GP has ruled out the possibility of general anaesthetic on the grounds of cost. Any suggestions?

WillowTheWhisp 28-02-2005 08:06

Re: Smoking

I was thinking of a recommended product but there's no saying it will be any more effective than any of the others you've tried. Have you considered hypnosis?

I wish you luck. At least we can offer you moral support. I don't know about that 3 day thing. I've known someone get past the three days and still give in. I'd probably be hopeless if I had the problem.

mez 28-02-2005 08:12

my son is using (under doctor supervision) the tablets zyban, which is at the minuet very effective for him , keeping fingers crossed.

Acrylic-bob 28-02-2005 08:16

Thanks Mez, but I think I will steer clear of Zyban after what it did to me the last time I tried it.

I have considered Hypnosis but I honestly cannot see it working.

garinda 28-02-2005 08:29

I can't afford it either, the doc told me l can't stop because of the drugs l'm on. For the first time l really want too try'[ l never have.]
My Dad tried everything, literally but only managed it when he retired @ 50, & only with will power, he was miserable for ten months, then he cracked it & was himself again, and happy. Two months after that he died of lung cancer. This isn't a put you off story, l saw what smoking can do to you, but @ the back of my mind l thought stopping smoking killed him, stupid l know, & l still smoke.
But what worked for him was going cold turkey, & he had literally tried every cure from hypnosis to pins in his ears.
Best of luck, write a journal? Can l have your ashtrays?

park381 28-02-2005 08:29

Hey a-b, if you do find a method and it works, please pass it on, I agree its time to give it up.

On the work thing, yes I found it very difficult, its ok in summer standing outside, but no good in winter

MITZY 28-02-2005 08:48

Hi I know someone who had acupuncture and they managed to stay off the fags for about 3 years, but started again. I gave over with sheer will power, which at the end of the day, you need no matter what help you use......personally I sailed through the first three week, then it hit me real bad...but apart from the odd drag, at that time, I stuck it out ...now some 8 or so years on I seldom think about them.

THOTH 28-02-2005 09:16

Ignore the cost and concentrate on your well being. Easy to say I know. But I say it because that`s what I did years ago. I was determined not to pay good money to kill myself.

entwisi 28-02-2005 11:07

I've never smoked so I can't offer any real help except Good Luck!

Acrylic-bob 28-02-2005 11:29

Thanks for the advice Chaps, Looks like it's going to have to be Cold Turkey.

I am intrigued about the journal idea, maybe I could use my Accyweb Blog? Be prepared for strong language and violent moodswings. You can expect the first entry tomorrow (tuesday).

park381 28-02-2005 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Thanks for the advice Chaps, Looks like it's going to have to be Cold Turkey.

I am intrigued about the journal idea, maybe I could use my Accyweb Blog? Be prepared for strong language and violent moodswings. You can expect the first entry tomorrow (tuesday).

Good Luck a-b, hope you manage it!!

WillowTheWhisp 28-02-2005 12:06

Every time you fancy a fag go out and take a challenging photo for us to guess the whereabouts of.

That will have two benefits. It will give you something else to think about and it will give the rest of us something to think about when you've posted it.:D

Less 28-02-2005 12:06

Just give me time to have a fag while I try to think of ways to help you A-B.
:joint:

Acrylic-bob 28-02-2005 12:14

Now that the weather is starting to brighten up a bit and the days are actually getting longer, taking reasonable pics is once again a possibility. So thanks for that suggestion Willow. At the last look I had about 15 million Ackers in the bank to give away, so you can expect some exacting puzzle pics with BIG PRIZES!

WillowTheWhisp 28-02-2005 12:20

1 Attachment(s)
You want to be careful bouncing with that in your mouth Less, you might set fire to something.